+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Happy fatha's day

Quote Originally Posted by Longshortandtall View Post
    Dad's 92 and in a Care Home. Still hanging around despite recent visits to Hospital. Born in Nottingham but had the good sense to marry a lass from Heeley who sadly is no longer with us. His faculties may be going but he still asks how the Blades are doing. Happy Fathers Day dad thanks for taking me to the Lane and making me a Blade.
    Have a huge like LST...and god bless him.

My dad died in Feb 2005. The Blades were away at Arsenal in the cup -1-1 late Andy Gray penalty. I called at half time to check if the perfectly fair, from the far end, goal by Danny Cullip (header )have been allowed ( it had been ruled out). My mother answered and said that, as the Blades didn't do well if they watched, they hadn't seen it. She said my dad was not feeling well.

Stayed overnight in London and 'phoned home the following Sunday lunchtime, from the train, and no reply which was very unusual for a Sunday.Phoned my brother to see if they'd taken them out but they'd just returned from a skiing holiday. Neither mum or dad used a mobile but eventually it transpired that my dad had a heart attack and had been rushed into Rotherham infirmary, he was, we thought, fit as a fiddle, didn't carry an ounce of weight and stopped smoking when he was about 30.

Went across to see them and he was sat up in bed and amazed by all the fuss " what are you lot doing here?" Visited again through the week and the doctors were happy with his progress and were moving him to the Northern General for a by pass operation but he never made it.

We'd been to see him on the Thursday night and he was in fine fettle telling me to get off back to Manchester and stop fussing. He died early Friday morning and we were about 15 minutes too late although I deove at about 100 mph all the way.

I was convinced we'd win the replay with him looking down on us but he obviously hadn't been up there long enough to do the team talk.

He loved his cricket too and I used to spend hours on the phone, when it was on the BBC, taklking about Sir Geoff and the rest. In fact, when Joe and Jonny are in their pomp, I still reach for the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by CHIPBUTTYBLADE View Post
    Took dogs a walk this morning came back and guess what was playing on the radio..............Karma Chameleon...............

Always associated that song with when my dad died
    It’s little coincidences like that that make you wonder Chippy.

Quote Originally Posted by GrayBlade View Post
    It’s little coincidences like that that make you wonder Chippy.
    I'd just lke to say i've enjoyed readin the posts in this thread,just gives us all abit of info abart each others families.Once again i say HAPPY FATHA's DAY to one and all.UTCB

My dad bless him died in 1958 only 45 years of age. I was one of 5 and I was 15 and had just left school. There were no benefits then and my first wage of £4 15 Shillings I tipped up to my mother to help bring the rest of my siblings up. Hard times I can tell yer.

Some heart rending stories guys you got me welling up I've been to see both my parents today both in their 80s but not as great as they used to be my dad only did the one length of langold lake today open water swimming,I'm becoming increasingly more aware that they aren't immortal and the clock is ticking

Dreading it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12