+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: O/T Mickelson Cheating at US Open

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    New charge.... bringing the game into disrepute Andy.
    Well there is that

Just to go 'top trumps' on unsportsmanlike play, I think the nadir was 1st feb 1981 and my favourite game, cricket, when Trevor Chappell was ordered to bowl the last ball of a game underarm to avoid NZ scoring enough runs to win. Pretty shameful

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Well there is that

Just to go 'top trumps' on unsportsmanlike play, I think the nadir was 1st feb 1981 and my favourite game, cricket, when Trevor Chappell was ordered to bowl the last ball of a game underarm to avoid NZ scoring enough runs to win. Pretty shameful
    Slight difference in that the underarm ball was within the Laws of the game. 100% not in the spirit of the game but not outside of the rules. What Mickelson did was against the spirit AND against the rules.

I do, however, find both actions reprehensible.

Further explanation.......

I have always had a bee in my bonnet about not breaking the Rules/Laws of a game. I never broke them on purpose. I have committed fouls but never in what they jokingly call the "professional" way. If they were professional about it they wouldn't do it.

My first game of football was in 1961, my last 11 v 11 was in 2007. Never carded. If a player was good enough to get past me with the ball then my job was to chase after him, get past him and either stall him or take the ball off him. It would never enter my head to purposely trip or rugby tackle an opponent who had just done me with skill and/or pace.

Old fashioned? Probably so but any win based on false play is, to me, an empty result.

Fine lines. Completely agree with Andy about the Trevor Chappell incident...on a par with Maradona and Neil Back for the ultimate in unsporting behaviour and probably worse because it was so premeditated, albeit by his brother.
    On the other hand, still astonished that neither Olsson nor Vydra didn’t see fit to flatten that Leeds player who set up their second after the inept Palmer free kick. As a supporter I expected it...as a player...I know I wouldn’t have got close enough to tackle him but I would have brought him down, and been expected to.
    MA...hand on heart...if an opposition player had a clear run on goal and the only way you could stop them would be by fouling them and taking the consequences...are you honestly saying you definitely wouldn’t?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    MA...hand on heart...if an opposition player had a clear run on goal and the only way you could stop them would be by fouling them and taking the consequences...are you honestly saying you definitely wouldn’t?
    46 year playing "career" and I never, ever brought anybody down on purpose. Often went in hard, was hardly ever put off balance in a shoulder to shoulder charge, they knew they had been tackled but within the Laws of the game.

I was late with a tackle on a couple of occasions but not by design.

"Taking one for the team" is a euphamism for cheating.

One Sunday League match, the ref gave us a penalty. I had fallen over. Running at full speed my left foot went into a 6 inch deep divot come pothole and I fell. I told the ref the guy hadn't touched me but he refused to change his mind. I took the penalty and put it 4 yards wide. We won.

46 year playing "career" and I never, ever brought anybody down on purpose. Often went in hard, was hardly ever put off balance in a shoulder to shoulder charge, they knew they had been tackled but within the Laws of the game.

I was late with a tackle on a couple of occasions but not by design.

"Taking one for the team" is a euphamism for cheating.

One Sunday League match, the ref gave us a penalty. I had fallen over. Running at full speed my left foot went into a 6 inch deep divot come pothole and I fell. I told the ref the guy hadn't touched me but he refused to change his mind. I took the penalty and put it 4 yards wide. We won.
    I’d never have dived and certainly never have feigned injury - spent too much time trying to feign non injury - or intentionally injured anyone, but I’m afraid I was guilty of more than the odd trip.
    Can’t actually believe the amount of shirt pulling and off the ball obstruction that players are getting away with in this World Cup.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 18-06-2018 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I’d never have dived and certainly never have feigned injury - spent too much time trying to feign non injury - or intentionally injured anyone, but I’m afraid I was guilty of more than the odd trip.
    Can’t actually believe the amount of shirt pulling and off the ball obstruction that players are getting away with in this World Cup.
    Wouldn't happen if I was reffing

I got done up like a kipper on more than a few occasions but almost always managed to get back and right my wrong before the player was able to cause any damage. Those that did go on to hurt us, well, their play deserved the end result. He was better than me in that one moment.

Burnley fan here, but read your forum on occasion. Phil and USGA have been at loggerheads for years regarding US Open set ups. USGA are scared to death scores will be low and set up the course accordingly. We all know USGA seem to think their Open is the best ‘major’, just as the US think everything in US is better than anywhere else.

Bottom line is Phil made his premeditated protest, USGA chose to invoke the lesser possible penalty. This was Phil being Phil, he’s got nothing to prove. Most other players would have been DQ’d, USGA has no gonads.

Quote Originally Posted by exilecanada View Post
    Burnley fan here, but read your forum on occasion. Phil and USGA have been at loggerheads for years regarding US Open set ups. USGA are scared to death scores will be low and set up the course accordingly. We all know USGA seem to think their Open is the best ‘major’, just as the US think everything in US is better than anywhere else.

Bottom line is Phil made his premeditated protest, USGA chose to invoke the lesser possible penalty. This was Phil being Phil, he’s got nothing to prove. Most other players would have been DQ’d, USGA has no gonads.
    A bit like FIFA then

Welcome exile. Out of interest..... why your interest in our little part of the planet?

Welcome exile. Out of interest..... why your interest in our little part of the planet?

I have no connection to your club or area other than we’ve bought Hendrick from you in the past and, according to the rumour mill, we’re currently linked with your striker Vydra. I like to see what the other side is saying about such transfers and rumours. Also, Derby appear to start each season with high expectations and when setbacks occur, the “hire ‘em, fire ‘em” syndrome sets in. I thought you guys were on to something when Clement came in and did quite well, then apparently he had a tiff with the owner and left, it appears to be downhill since then. I always find this interesting, some of these owners just don’t ‘get it’.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)