+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: O/T Mickelson Cheating at US Open

O/T Mickelson Cheating at US Open

Any golfers out there watching the US Open? Phil Mickelson got away with cheating yesterday and admitted to it afterwards in interviews. Do you think Poulter would have got away with it?

Had he'd said that he'd lost his cool and hit the moving ball in frustration then a 2 shot penalty was correct, but he said he deliberately stopped the ball rolling off the green. Golf had a always been one of the last bastions of honest fair play.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    Any golfers out there watching the US Open? Phil Mickelson got away with cheating yesterday and admitted to it afterwards in interviews. Do you think Poulter would have got away with it?

Had he'd said that he'd lost his cool and hit the moving ball in frustration then a 2 shot penalty was correct, but he said he deliberately stopped the ball rolling off the green. Golf had a always been one of the last bastions of honest fair play.
    I thought it was against the spirit not the rules? Still a Shame as I always rated mickelson as a gent. Seems it’s just snooker and darts that are truly honest now

‘Golf has always been one of the last bastions of honest fair play’. Lol!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    I thought it was against the spirit not the rules? Still a Shame as I always rated mickelson as a gent. Seems it’s just snooker and darts that are truly honest now
    The tournament official said that had he just stopped the ball dead, to prevent it going off the green, he would have been disqualified. So because he cheated even more by knocking it closer to the hole, he was left off lightly, disgraceful from Michelson and the officials.

We all know that golf trousers have an hole in one of the pockets, the times I thought my shot went into the rough only to find the ball had actually landed near to the putting green!

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    The tournament official said that had he just stopped the ball dead, to prevent it going off the green, he would have been disqualified. So because he cheated even more by knocking it closer to the hole, he was left off lightly, disgraceful from Michelson and the officials.
    Quite agree Ram...he looked like a fat bloke who’d just lost his cool on a pitch and putt course. Don’t play golf but my eldest is handy...never beaten his boss though.
    For those who might know...all these complaints about the course...are they justified? Apparently it’s very difficult but surely it’s the same for everyone.

The complaints are justified in my opinion. By all means make a course difficult but on 2 or 3 greens it was a total lottery, 2 almost identical shots from 2 different players, 1 ball barely moving would stop in a small indentation whereas ball barely moving an inch either side would carry on rolling and end up 30 meters away and need a further 2 or 3 shots to get down, minimum.

This was the situation that Mickelson found himself in, but doesn't justify cheating.

Admits himself he chose the lesser of 2 evils. One offence was a 2 stroke penalty, the other was disqualification. He chose the penalty.

I really hope this is not the end of it. I would like to see.....

1. him getting hung out to dry for what he did.
    2. the rules changing so that in future, anybody doing similar will get a DQ.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Admits himself he chose the lesser of 2 evils. One offence was a 2 stroke penalty, the other was disqualification. He chose the penalty.

I really hope this is not the end of it. I would like to see.....

1. him getting hung out to dry for what he did.
    2. the rules changing so that in future, anybody doing similar will get a DQ.
    I don't agree MA, that means you are punishing him once for a breeaking of the playing rules, then again for KNOWING the rules. He took his medicine, the authorities should move on and by all means implement 2 if they see that as being a positive step

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    I don't agree MA, that means you are punishing him once for a breeaking of the playing rules, then again for KNOWING the rules. He took his medicine, the authorities should move on and by all means implement 2 if they see that as being a positive step
    New charge.... bringing the game into disrepute Andy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)