+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Bielsa - Adjustments to language,connecting with Fans & living Up North ?

Quote Originally Posted by joellufcprice View Post
    I can't believe you called Hopelessly Optimistic a Ho! How rude and mean tut tut you should know better what with your global network of friends. I frankly find it amazing you find time to grace an Internet forum tbh
    I find it difficult to believe you are so myopic in your reponses to my post, but there you go.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsORichSenior View Post
    As a matter of genuine interest and getting back to original thread topic your stating ..... " compared to criteria I think should have been applied ........... "

Are you suggesting that Leeds an English club should not appoint a non English speaker to be in charge as part of your criteria as it would appear to me that the Spanish connection at the club including Carlos Corberán U23 Coach (a good young coach) could be a modern example of the once successful 'boot room' appointments that were once prevalent at many clubs.Corberán hopefully will benefit from having Bielsa as a mentor as will our talented U23 squad thus setting in place the foundation and philosophy of technically attractive successful football that the better teams play today.

The game today involves many languages including time spent on 'sorce codes' analysis which my husband calls obfuscation which is the deliberate act of creating source or machine code that is difficult for humans to understand but when presented in statistics format can make intriguing reading and that is what Orta uses daily if truth be known as part of his criteria .............
    Criteria is an interesting word but has many facets too and I'd love to know what was your ideal criteria for choice of Leeds Coach.

MOT
    To answer directly the single question posed, yes I think our coach should have a fluency in English, no matter what their first language may be. Ok?

The other criteria have been given (repeatedly), on other threads, please feel free to have a look if genuinely interested.

As a matter of genuine interest and getting back to original thread topic your stating ..... " compared to criteria I think should have been applied ........... "

Are you suggesting that Leeds an English club should not appoint a non English speaker to be in charge as part of your criteria as it would appear to me that the Spanish connection at the club including Carlos Corberán U23 Coach (a good young coach) could be a modern example of the once successful 'boot room' appointments that were once prevalent at many clubs.Corberán hopefully will benefit from having Bielsa as a mentor as will our talented U23 squad thus setting in place the foundation and philosophy of technically attractive successful football that the better teams play today.

The game today involves many languages including time spent on 'sorce codes' analysis which my husband calls obfuscation which is the deliberate act of creating source or machine code that is difficult for humans to understand but when presented in statistics format can make intriguing reading and that is what Orta uses daily if truth be known as part of his criteria .............
    Criteria is an interesting word but has many facets too and I'd love to know what was your ideal criteria for choice of Leeds Coach.

MOT
    Btw, if Orta uses what you describe, its no wonder he has failed miserably to select players suitable for the real world of Leeds in the Championship.

Language or more to the point 'effective communication' is of course most important but effective communication today can be aided by many technical device platforms .......... of course throwing tea cups & finger pointing at halftime may get a message across too but to be fair to Orta and most sports clubs today data plays its part alongside the normal daily human interaction areas involving scouting,individual training regimes, medical rehabilitation,financial projections etc reports.

Bielsa seems an intelligent chap and the current Leeds set up has its fair share of multi lingual talented players too from what I've been told - the club also goes out of its way to make sure the players are looked after which I'm sure will apply to the incoming coaching staff ......... I'll reiterate that English won't be a problem for him as language is about confidence and I suspect he'll have the basic gist of it already.

I'm aware of your concerns but sometimes in life you have to speculate to accumulate and that often takes 'balls'.
    My Mums in her late 70s but wanted to live closer so has upped sticks and joined us here and already is French speaking,bought a fancy mobile,changed her diet and started cycling again for the first time in over 40 years all done in under six months - so there's a marker set down for Mrs Bielsa.
    I suppose it all boils down to how & where you want a challenge in life........... and how badly you want success despite the inevitable obstacles.

MOT

Bielsa's back room staff appointed according to Phil Hay.

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co....aled-1-9211028

Cheer up WTF11

MOT

Language or more to the point 'effective communication' is of course most important but effective communication today can be aided by many technical device platforms .......... of course throwing tea cups & finger pointing at halftime may get a message across too but to be fair to Orta and most sports clubs today data plays its part alongside the normal daily human interaction areas involving scouting,individual training regimes, medical rehabilitation,financial projections etc reports.

Bielsa seems an intelligent chap and the current Leeds set up has its fair share of multi lingual talented players too from what I've been told - the club also goes out of its way to make sure the players are looked after which I'm sure will apply to the incoming coaching staff ......... I'll reiterate that English won't be a problem for him as language is about confidence and I suspect he'll have the basic gist of it already.

I'm aware of your concerns but sometimes in life you have to speculate to accumulate and that often takes 'balls'.
    My Mums in her late 70s but wanted to live closer so has upped sticks and joined us here and already is French speaking,bought a fancy mobile,changed her diet and started cycling again for the first time in over 40 years all done in under six months - so there's a marker set down for Mrs Bielsa.
    I suppose it all boils down to how & where you want a challenge in life........... and how badly you want success despite the inevitable obstacles.

MOT
    Not sure on what basis you reckon Bielsa "has the basic gist" (of English?) as he has never lived in an English-speaking country or associated with any environment that had English as even a peripheral influence?

And I'm happy your mum is picking up French so quickly, but do Leeds have 6 months to allow Bielsa to do likewise with English whilst a new squad, with new back room staff, are left to deal with a translator with no previous exposure to a primarily English-speaking environment ( his main languages are Spanish and French)?

I ask again, to you or anyone prepared to give me a considered answer (including Radrizzani if he wishes to contribute), why this man?

Bielsa's back room staff appointed according to Phil Hay.

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co....aled-1-9211028

Cheer up WTF11

MOT
    All known before the YEP article, and if you investigate their background there is VERY little to be cheerful about, no better than those they are replacing (if not worse), and with more loyalty to Bielsa than they are ever likely to have to Leeds, with the consequent and undeniable risk of conflict of interest).

You might argue that "he's betting the company (club)" on this. Not common but happens in business and sports sometimes. sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Jez's points (along with some of the others added) are spot on. I'd also guess that the agreement with the 49's has something to do with it.

No one outside of hard core fans has any interest in a decade long mid table run in the second division of any sport... including English football. In the last 10 years I've seen one Leeds kit in Chicago and none in Indianapolis, Louisville, Nashville, St. Louis or Orlando. I've probably seen a 100,000 scumchester kits, logos, decals etc. I get asked all the time "who is that" when I'm wearing the colors. I know that's not the case worldwide but not tapping the US market is a fools errand if you want to be a worldwide club.

As I've posted before. we'll either be a prem contender or Lg 1 bound but we sure won't be a mid table club this year.

It's time. mid table results forever are the definition of mediocrity. even a relegation battle has more interest than mid table with no prospect of improvement in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    You might argue that "he's betting the company (club)" on this. Not common but happens in business and sports sometimes. sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Jez's points (along with some of the others added) are spot on. I'd also guess that the agreement with the 49's has something to do with it.

No one outside of hard core fans has any interest in a decade long mid table run in the second division of any sport... including English football. In the last 10 years I've seen one Leeds kit in Chicago and none in Indianapolis, Louisville, Nashville, St. Louis or Orlando. I've probably seen a 100,000 scumchester kits, logos, decals etc. I get asked all the time "who is that" when I'm wearing the colors. I know that's not the case worldwide but not tapping the US market is a fools errand if you want to be a worldwide club.

As I've posted before. we'll either be a prem contender or Lg 1 bound but we sure won't be a mid table club this year.

It's time. mid table results forever are the definition of mediocrity. even a relegation battle has more interest than mid table with no prospect of improvement in the future.
    What's even more annoying is that, after you've told them you support Leeds, the conversation usually goes along the lines of, "Well, that's nice. So, which EPL (sic) team do you support."

There is an outdoor team that plays here called Manchesthair United, which is mildly amusing.

Especially as my team always beats them.

LEEDS? Sorry never heard of them, I do know the album The Who Live in LEEDS though!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)