+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bielsa - Adjustments to language,connecting with Fans & living Up North ?

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    "English is incredibly easy to pick up, blah blah blah". Utter tosh.

I have many friends from countries as diverse as the Netherlands (the Dutch are superb linguists), Cuba (friends in the classic Harley owners community), and the Far East (where the influence of Chinas education policy has hugely benefited English use). None would agree that English is easy to "pick up", and most certainly not by someone who for their entire 60-odd years has spoken only a single language.

'I have many friends'

**** OFF HAHAHAHAHA, LMAO, PMSL, ROFLMAO, ROFLCOPTERS etc etc

WETTING MYSELF WITH HILARITY.

Where did you meet all these 'friends'? Online gaming/forums doesn't count mush.

*Awaits the sound of the WTF11 waaaaamublance about someone getting personal, when he/she/it slags off every other poster on the forum

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    it is not always just an alternative view that would be fine but denigrating any poster who dares to have a positive view - such as your use of the words delusionional (sic) nonsense above.
    Tell you what HO, read Joel's hilarious post below and see who is calling who. F00king MOT? Don't make me laugh.

"English is incredibly easy to pick up, blah blah blah". Utter tosh.

I have many friends from countries as diverse as the Netherlands (the Dutch are superb linguists), Cuba (friends in the classic Harley owners community), and the Far East (where the influence of Chinas education policy has hugely benefited English use). None would agree that English is easy to "pick up", and most certainly not by someone who for their entire 60-odd years has spoken only a single language.
    Hiya WTF11
    Thank you Teacher .........Chinese grammar is completely different from the English one. People don't know tenses, moods, plural forms, changes of the verb endings, inverted sentences, complicated sentence structures.This is because the Chinese for over two thousand years never bothered to learn other languages .......... until now.

Not sure how long ago your family commitments had you leaving Holland but nine in 10 Dutch people speak English as a second language. According to the latest EU langage report (2012), 94 percent of Dutch people could speak two languages, well above the EU average of 54 percent. Considering more than half of the Dutch population also speak German ...
    I'll conclude right there.

Main language problem is that if more people tried to learn a different language then it becomes much easier to learn the basics of any consequent languages - Becchio & Sabella do a decent Yorkie English if Bielsa needs help.

Funny thing was a week or two back I was in the Wye Valley kayaking and struggled to understand what they were saying,then at Padstow in Cornwall the lingo got easier but by the time I got to Winchester .... bloody hell what an accent.

As a man of vast knowledge could you advise if in your opinion is a kayak better to sit in or sit on - preferably in English,Spanish,Dutch or German please but not in broad Hampshire.

MOT

And united maintain, whether sober or mellow,
    That old Billy Wickham was a jolly fine fellow.

Replace Wickham with Bremner. Much betterer.

Well a few things perhaps:

1) players might be attracted to someone with his reputation and decide to play for him instead of another club which is offering better financial terms

2) he has contacts with top managers in English football and therefore may be able to get to the front of the queue to loan the quality of player we need, but can't afford to buy

3) he may, just may, have negotiated a decent 'war chest', and control over the quality of the players brought in - that lengthy negotiating period must have involved some demands of that kind - or why else come? He could have gone to other clubs on his reputation (not suggesting it's perfect, but he has a decent one, there's no doubt) so he let's hope he's worked out a way to make this move work for him, and us.

4) if he's done that, or anything close to that, he will have sidelined Orta's influence - something you and I have long wanted to see happen. I can't see Bielsa allowing signings like Grot or Wiedwald to play - he will want final say on incoming players, and will hopefully want to very quickly get rid of Orta's guff from last season

5) he may just be a decent coach, like a lot of people say, and be able to do the job well.

It might all go wrong, but if even 3 or 4 of the above are right, then we will have a fighting chance of doing better than mid-table, with the season ending in March.
    You've been taking the same happy pills Clive and HO are on
    No WTF, all those are perfectly good points, no 'happy pills' about it. There are plenty of us who are a bit nervous about Bielsa joining, (his recent record - Lille, Marseille, no trophy for years; the language barrier; whether we'll be able to recruit the quality of player needed to play his super high tempo 90 minute pressing game etc), but we can also see why this might work.

Why are you so determined to slag everything/everyone off because they're taking an optimistic view rather than endlessly pontificating about why it's all a complete disaster ? Seems like very strange behaviour for a footie supporter (the clue is in the word - SUPPORTer.........)

Quote Originally Posted by OldWhiteTaff View Post
    No WTF, all those are perfectly good points, no 'happy pills' about it. There are plenty of us who are a bit nervous about Bielsa joining, (his recent record - Lille, Marseille, no trophy for years; the language barrier; whether we'll be able to recruit the quality of player needed to play his super high tempo 90 minute pressing game etc), but we can also see why this might work.

Why are you so determined to slag everything/everyone off because they're taking an optimistic view rather than endlessly pontificating about why it's all a complete disaster ? Seems like very strange behaviour for a footie supporter (the clue is in the word - SUPPORTer.........)
    Ok, so you agree with basically all of the issues that I have suggested might make life difficult for Bielsa (and from what we are to make of the back-room staff story), but you can "also see why this might work". Why/How?

1. The "players might want to come because of his appointment" thing......because of his stellar record in management?

2. He has contacts with top managers in English football.....he doesn't even speak the language ffs, (or perhaps the implication i that all the spanish-speaking managers in the PL and "in his club") and has never been associated with any form of footballing competition in this country, how does that make for the kind of "inside track" relationship that is suggested?

3. Th war chest - Maybe, we will see shortly, but if we want to emulate the spend last season (and no more) plus getting rid of the dross that Orta has foisted on us, then Radrizzani will have to commit all of the funds generated by recent media deals, and more. Not holding my breath.

4. See (3), and Bielsa not wanting Wiedwald and others to play doesn't equate to them being off the clubs books, which is essential if opex is to be brought under some kind of control.

5. He may be a decent coach - On past record, really?

In those points Jez refers to "Might", "May" (many times), and "Hopefully". He refers to "Will" only once and even that is a conditional reference to Bielsa having sidelined Orta (oh I wish!). What I and I supect a whole load of other supporters would like to see, just occasionally is"Will", "Has", "Did" a few more times when referring to positives about what a player or coach WILL bring to the club.

And I don't "pontificate about why it's all a complete disaster", I point out that the club is taking risks for no apparently sound reason (as they did with Ortas appointment and just about every one of the signings since), and that taking risks of that magnitude can have significantly negative consequences (as they all have!).

I support sound decisions (look back at how many times I was supportive of the various rumours about buying the ground back and positive about when Radrizzani actually did). We have been bitten far too hard and far too often by multiple owners thinking that they knew it all, and so far apart from buying the ground back, Radrizzani is not very different.

As for "SUPPORT", I SUPPORT but not blindly, and I'll question where I think a decision (or one that is likely, as was the case with nearly all of Radrizzanis and Ortas appointments) is wrong or misguided. Unquestioning loyalty to an individual tends to have serious, negative, consequences as those who are given such loyalty tend to abuse it, something we as SUPPORTERS have plenty of evidence of.

Proof of pudding is in the eating, and despite nearly every response to the comments I make suggesting I will be eating humble pie, so far the plate has remained very, very VERY empty.

................... further points .....

7. His approach to football could lie down a valuable foundation throughout the clubs ranks and set a marker down to follow.
    8. Commercially it's made a lot of sense and name awareness could open new avenues.

9. Of course it could go 'belly up' but a successful mix of youth & experience should provide an ideal platform for Bielsa's consumer attractive attacking football.

10. My worry is 'tho what price is success ?
    Bigger clubs taking our players & manager.

MOT

Quote Originally Posted by MrsORichSenior View Post
    ................... further points .....

7. His approach to football could lie down a valuable foundation throughout the clubs ranks and set a marker down to follow.

As he has elsewhere?

8. Commercially it's made a lot of sense and name awareness could open new avenues.

[I]How, and to whos benefit?[/I]

9. Of course it could go 'belly up' but a successful mix of youth & experience should provide an ideal platform for Bielsa's consumer attractive attacking football.

Key word, "Successful", and any assessment of possible success is based on a set of criteria, which no-one appears willing to provide (apart from me of course!)

10. My worry is 'tho what price is success ?
    Bigger clubs taking our players & manager.

I wish that was our problem!

MOT
    Some queries to the above (in bold italics)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)