+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Golf US Open

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    Thanks exile, so, in other words, there is one rule for some and another one for others. It is corrupt like so much other sport these days.

I’m not sure if corrupt isn’t too strong of a word, although I am struggling to find a more appropriate replacement word. USGA chose to invoke rule 14-5 (hitting a moving ball) rather than rule 33-7 (guilty of a serious breach of etiquette) which would have resulted in DQ. I saw an interview with a USGA official and he danced around the more severe penalty for whatever reason, you guess! Bottom line is, given Phil’s distaste for USGA setups, he chose to protest. I’m not condoning Phil’s actions, however, as I noted, Phil was being Phil, he’s got nothing to prove in the game. Phil’s a gambler, pushing the envelope, that’s Phil, like him or not.

Quote Originally Posted by exilecanada View Post
    I’m not sure if corrupt isn’t too strong of a word, although I am struggling to find a more appropriate replacement word. USGA chose to invoke rule 14-5 (hitting a moving ball) rather than rule 33-7 (guilty of a serious breach of etiquette) which would have resulted in DQ. I saw an interview with a USGA official and he danced around the more severe penalty for whatever reason, you guess! Bottom line is, given Phil’s distaste for USGA setups, he chose to protest. I’m not condoning Phil’s actions, however, as I noted, Phil was being Phil, he’s got nothing to prove in the game. Phil’s a gambler, pushing the envelope, that’s Phil, like him or not.
    Worth gambling when you pick up 28,000 dollars for four rounds of golf and you should have been kicked out. I wonder how much it cost him?

The fuel for his private jet would have cost $28000, money was not the reason, he simply hated how the course was set up.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    The fuel for his private jet would have cost $28000, money was not the reason, he simply hated how the course was set up.

Finally someone “gets it” !!. The 28 k Phil pocketed means nothing to him, it’s pocket change. He was making a statement, and his statement, if USGA are listening, will be heard for quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by exilecanada View Post
    Finally someone “gets it” !!. The 28 k Phil pocketed means nothing to him, it’s pocket change. He was making a statement, and his statement, if USGA are listening, will be heard for quite a while.
    In other words --the governing body are scared to do anything about it ---it is totally corrupt!

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    In other words --the governing body are scared to do anything about it.

I guess that sums it up rather well.

US Open is all about windmills, clown faces etc. Even though I enjoy The Masters from the pure spectacle aspect, the only real defence it has its undulating greens. The PGA is not much more than a regular tour stop. The best major, IMHO is The Open. Even though many of the venues in the rota may be considered obsolete by todays standards, they’re typically set up fairly, leaving mother nature to determine the severity.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)