+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: England only World Cup thread...

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    Clattenberg says the VAR ref has to check 25 different cameras while the game proceeds and if play restarts they can’t go back. The ref can stop the game though. The ref was useless, and surely even one camera would have shown the VAR ref the rugby tackles in 5 seconds. No need for 25 unless play is stopped.
    I think VAR is ok but it’s far to complex and being used wrongly by refs not up to the mark.
    OC --I dislike VAR immensely because I feel that it is taking authority away from the onfield officials because their decision is not final anymore. You say that it is being used wrongly by refs not up to the mark, however, these are guys refereeing at World Cup Finals and they have worked hard to get to this point in their career, so I think that it is unfair to say that they are not up to the mark.
    Everyone criticises officials, however, there used to be an acceptance that their decisions were the ones that mattered and even wrong decisions were accepted and players got on with the game. The introduction of VAR has now clouded the issue and players are going to officials and telling them to consult VAR which is totally wrong.
    I don't wish to be boring on this subject, however, I have to say that all that VAR has done is give someone else, who is not directly involved in the match, the chance to express an opinion and to undermine the onfield officials in their decision making --it will still not be 100% correct as has been said about last night's proceedings.

Interesting that sinkov mentions that Mike Dean was hounded because he clamped down on the wrestling at corners in one match. I recall Michael Oliver's first match in the PL in August 2010 when he refereed Birmingham v Blackburn Rovers and gave a penalty for the wrestling in the box at a corner. He was pilloried by the other senior referees at the time because they said it happens all the time and that he should ignore it otherwise he would have to award lots of penalties!
    Here we are, another 8 years down the line and still nothing has really been done about it except for Mike Dean's attempt in August 2017 --which, again, caused a furore.

it is unfair to say that they are not up to the mark.

I think it’s entirely correct with yesterday’s Colombian.

it is unfair to say that they are not up to the mark.

I think it’s entirely correct with yesterday’s Colombian.
    FIFA would disagree and it is their opinion that matters, regardless of what we may think ----unless FIFA are as corrupt as the USGA ---now there is an interesting thought!

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    FIFA would disagree and it is their opinion that matters, regardless of what we may think ----unless FIFA are as corrupt as the USGA ---now there is an interesting thought!
    Comparing FIFA to the USPGA relational to corruption accusations is a lot like comparing Attila the Hun to Bambi.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Comparing FIFA to the USPGA relational to corruption accusations is a lot like comparing Attila the Hun to Bambi.
    Corruption is corruption, you may start low but you will soon learn how to accelerate things ---particularly when you see that you can get away with things. It doesn't matter what level ---it is still corruption.

Corruption is corruption, you may start low but you will soon learn how to accelerate things ---particularly when you see that you can get away with things. It doesn't matter what level ---it is still corruption.
    I honestly don't think that refusing to disqualify one of their own suggests the USPGA are corrupt, morally bankrupt perhaps, but not corrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    I honestly don't think that refusing to disqualify one of their own suggests the USPGA are corrupt, morally bankrupt perhaps, but not corrupt.
    He probably told them to stick their 28,000 dollars where the sun doesn't shine as a thank you for not disqualifying him.
    Winners All!

Seems FIFA may not agree either!
    Fifa is to analyse the failure of video technology to award Harry Kane two penalties in England’s opening World Cup win over Tunisia.

Amid outrage on social media about the lack of action taken when Ferjani Sassi and Yassine Meriah bundled Kane to the floor during the match in Volgograd, the game’s governing body confirmed it would examine whether Video Assistant Referee Sandro Ricci had blundered by not advising Wilmar Roldan to penalise them.

A briefing was held on the eve of the World Cup in which video clips were played that had been shown to each team before the tournament of incidents for which there would be zero tolerance.
    They included grappling in the box, with Fifa’s refereeing director, Massimo Busacca, revealing players had been warned there would be nowhere to hide in Russia.

Have the FA asked about VAR being used in the Premship next season, it wouldn't surprise me to see it brought in very soon.

Seems FIFA may not agree either!
    Fifa is to analyse the failure of video technology to award Harry Kane two penalties in England’s opening World Cup win over Tunisia.

Amid outrage on social media about the lack of action taken when Ferjani Sassi and Yassine Meriah bundled Kane to the floor during the match in Volgograd, the game’s governing body confirmed it would examine whether Video Assistant Referee Sandro Ricci had blundered by not advising Wilmar Roldan to penalise them.

A briefing was held on the eve of the World Cup in which video clips were played that had been shown to each team before the tournament of incidents for which there would be zero tolerance.
    They included grappling in the box, with Fifa’s refereeing director, Massimo Busacca, revealing players had been warned there would be nowhere to hide in Russia.
    OC --it is the Video technology and the Video Assistant Referee which is being scrutinised ----not the match referee and it is he who you were saying was not up to the mark and I defended.
    I will not defend VAR or its operators because it has no place in the game of football as far as I am concerned.
    Goal line technology is great but it i a black and white issue whereas, as can be ssen on this board, other decisions taken by officials during a match will be seen differently by those watching and, as I have said before, that includes those operating the VAR --it is just another opinion.
    Look at the foul which Colombia got today which led to their equalising goal, I have watched it several times and I don't know how it was deemed that Falcao was fouled -----opinions!

On the first incident with Kane it could be seen that Stones committed a push before the wrestling involving Kane ---opinions!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)