+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: England Russia WC 2018

But you can only beat the team in front of you, Champs. In the past, we've often failed against teams that were weaker than us on paper.
    The problem with the team for me is the midfield - apart from Henderson. I didn't think Alli, Sterling and Lingard provided enough creativity against Colombia. We look most likely to get behind defences through Trippier and Rose (when he comes on).
    I've never seen Maguire play so well.
    Creating chances was hard for England, anyway, because of Colombia's disgraceful behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    But you can only beat the team in front of you, Champs. In the past, we've often failed against teams that were weaker than us on paper.
    The problem with the team for me is the midfield - apart from Henderson. I didn't think Alli, Sterling and Lingard provided enough creativity against Colombia. We look most likely to get behind defences through Trippier and Rose (when he comes on).
    I've never seen Maguire play so well.
    Creating chances was hard for England, anyway, because of Colombia's disgraceful behaviour.

Finally!! It was killing me that. I was trying to play the negative/glass always half full/never back down character I find so frustrating over a domestic season.
    The lads have been excellent. I was so impressed last night. We kept our heads, despite disgraceful cheating from Columbia. I have no doubt England would have have lost that sort of game in the past, once they equalised. I agree with every thing you say. MCGuire was fantastic. I didn't believe he had that in him. Kane was brilliant. And best of all, is cool on pens. We are very dangerous on corners, but I do agree, we aren't creating enough. 2 goals from open play so far tells you that. Southgate is doing a brilliant job. He has created a team unity. And that collective confidence is better, than relying on individual brilliance in the past. I still don't think Sterling is good enough, and I'd play either Rashford, or even Vardy. I dint particularly like him before, but he too has looked like he gives them something different to think about. A different test vrs Sweden, but I'd much rather be playing them, than Brazil. Let's try and keep going, and hopefully grow as we play. We really needed a test, and we got that last night. Plus now we have confidence.
    Last edited by champs95; 04-07-2018 at 11:02 PM.

You got me there, Champs!!! Didn't spot it.
    On Sterling, he seems to be one of those players who has gone downhill since he first burst onto the scene. Oddly, it tends to be wingers this mainly happens to.
    Incidentally, is it my imagination or are there an unusual number of shots ballooning over the bar? My wife has noticed it too. Could it be this particular ball, or is just that players are so often trying to put swerve and dip on their shots?
    Going back to Colombia, we surely can't go on with this business of players arguing and delaying free kicks for minutes on end. When Kane was fouled for the penalty, almost all the players were facing the other way - yet they protested for three or four minutes.
    I would love to see the rugby rule introduced: argue excessively with the referee and the free kick point gets moved forwards 10 metres. That would shut the buggers up!

Damn.. Champs has posted positively about England.. Were goosed!

Sweden 0 England 2.. Proud as punch..!

Quote Originally Posted by Saxo1man41 View Post
    Sweden 0 England 2.. Proud as punch..!
    What's more, the three I thought had been average - Alli, Sterling and Lingard - all had decent games.
    I'd still prefer Rose to Youngs in terms of attacking threat, but AY did defend well.
    If Neymar had taken the hit in the ribs that Kane suffered, he'd still be rolling now!

What's more, the three I thought had been average - Alli, Sterling and Lingard - all had decent games.
    I'd still prefer Rose to Youngs in terms of attacking threat, but AY did defend well.
    If Neymar had taken the hit in the ribs that Kane suffered, he'd still be rolling now!
    They have a huge chance of winning this. We are in form, most of the others aren't in great form. One of the best 2 sides goes out on Tues. We have a tough game vrs Croatia. But a winnable one. I'll bet right now, they will be more worried about playing us, than us playing them.
    Nobody expected us to go this far, so we have no real pressure. If we go out, so be it. They'd still return having mended alot of the crap over the past 28 years. Just I feel we are on a roll. Very similar to Rovers last season. Once your on a roll and confidence is high, it's tough to stop you.

It's Modric who worries me, Champs. He is just a brilliant all-round player, and not a prima donna.

It's Modric who worries me, Champs. He is just a brilliant all-round player, and not a prima donna.
    Feet firmly on the ground I have.. They've done brilliant, but Croatia are a formidable obsticle.. Let's just hope they perform and give a full account of themselves, and then what will be, will be..

He really is a top player and one I always enjoy watching. A lovely footballer who also has the correct attitude. How we deal with him and Rakatic tonight will be key. If they hound them both, hunt them down in packs and never let them settle, that will ultimately stop Croatia. They are a better side, but we are in form, they are knackered. I think that probably evens things up. It will be close, but we are in a great position. We cant lose tonight, nobody expected us to get this far, so we should play without fear or expectancy.

I'd personally say this lot tonight (all things considered) are beatable. France will be the huge obstacle.
    Last edited by champs95; 11-07-2018 at 12:14 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)