+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: England Russia WC 2018

Quote Originally Posted by champs95 View Post
    In no way I'm trying to get a reaction. Its just how I see it. I want to see England win a World Cup. This one was great fun. Imagine if we won it? Surely we should aspire to do that? If such a lack of talent (in your opinion) can reach a a semi at such a tender age, then let's encourage and support them to going one step futher, and winning it. That's not controversial is it?
    It's just I don't believe the best way of going about it is telling them they've been brilliant. They are young professional athletes who should want to win. And as a nation we need to find a way of doing that. Blowing smoke up their arse isn't the way ....imo.
    Jon Stones....excellent all tournament. Turns off for one moment in a semi final and we go out.
    Do we tell him he's been brilliant and a hero?
    No ....imo....He's been excellent and needs to really improve in the next 2 years as a defender so he doesn't do that in the next semi final of the next tournament.
    Which I do think we have a good chance of setting our sights on. Not disappear off for 30 years in glorious failure.
    I think we have a great young squad, and a really decent manager. And a great platform to build from.
    But I also maintain that Croatia are pretty average and at 1-0 up we needed to put them away. We didn't. We invited them in, and blew a monumental chance of winning a WC. Because I also think France are beatable.
    This may never be the case again in my lifetime?
    Or we learn to take the positives of this and push on. But improve and figure out a way of getting past a semi.
    At this moment in time, France and Croatia are not average.. They are the 2 best teams in the world on CURRENT form.. That is what a world cup is for, deciding these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxo1man41 View Post
    At this moment in time, France and Croatia are not average.. They are the 2 best teams in the world on CURRENT form.. That is what a world cup is for, deciding these things.
    But that doesn't mean that either of them are actually any good? More that the quality overall has been quite poor, poor German side, poor Brazil, poor Agentina, Belgium flattered to deceive .....

When Liecester won the Prem a few years back. They weren't the best team. They didn't go into win more. They just capatalised on the fact the other sides in the Prem that one season, where all very poor. They were the best, just out of a very average bunch.
    This is no different.

And had Liecester, having got into a magnificent position, blown it vrs West Ham (not a top team, someone very beatable) with 2 games to go and not won the league that season, they have missed out on a once in a lifetime chance. And would be been gutted.
    This is no different.

Also, Panama got into a WC, Italy didn't. In no way does that make Panama better than Italy. It's just the way these work out. There isn't much sense to it.

And it's not always the case the best team in any tournament will win it. Brazil where outstanding in 82, and got knocked out after 4 games.
    Last edited by champs95; 12-07-2018 at 08:33 PM.

I can't agree that France are poor, Champs. I don't really see a weakness in their team. I don't mean they are all great players, but they certainly have all the bases covered - from the hard man to the out-and-out speedster. And, surely, Giroud is due a game where the chances fall to him.
    Back to Croatia, it struck me that Modric was playing a little further forward in the first half. As soon as he dropped ten metres, he had more room to start spraying the passes.
    I also think you're being slightly harsh on England. I agree with you about our failure to convert chances, but I didn't think there was much we could do about either of their goals. For the first, Perisic just managed to get his foot beyond Walker's head; for the second, we saw the one problem about Trippier: he lacks height.
    We controlled the first hour and the first period of extra time. That lack of experience, though, meant that poor decisions and hastiness led to our missing some golden opportunities, although I also felt the blocks and rebounds almost never fell kindly for England. (As my son said, wouldn't it have been great to see Shearer spearheading this team?)
    Like you, I can't help feeling we missed an opportunity, but it was one of those games which could have gone either way, and the referee's bizarre decisions in the final 15 minutes didn't help.
    I'm not quite convinced by Alli and Lingard, but they may still need time to develop at this level. I'd have liked to see both of them taking a bit more of the pressure off Henderson, centrally.
    One thing that did work well for us throughout the tournament was the quickly-released, long pass down the wings. It's good to see an an England team with a bit of pace.
    I have promised my nine-year-old grandson that we will watch England win a WC Final together some day. I just hope I'm not gaga when it happens!

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    I can't agree that France are poor, Champs. I don't really see a weakness in their team. I don't mean they are all great players, but they certainly have all the bases covered - from the hard man to the out-and-out speedster. And, surely, Giroud is due a game where the chances fall to him.
    Back to Croatia, it struck me that Modric was playing a little further forward in the first half. As soon as he dropped ten metres, he had more room to start spraying the passes.
    I also think you're being slightly harsh on England. I agree with you about our failure to convert chances, but I didn't think there was much we could do about either of their goals. For the first, Perisic just managed to get his foot beyond Walker's head; for the second, we saw the one problem about Trippier: he lacks height.
    We controlled the first hour and the first period of extra time. That lack of experience, though, meant that poor decisions and hastiness led to our missing some golden opportunities, although I also felt the blocks and rebounds almost never fell kindly for England. (As my son said, wouldn't it have been great to see Shearer spearheading this team?)
    Like you, I can't help feeling we missed an opportunity, but it was one of those games which could have gone either way, and the referee's bizarre decisions in the final 15 minutes didn't help.
    I'm not quite convinced by Alli and Lingard, but they may still need time to develop at this level. I'd have liked to see both of them taking a bit more of the pressure off Henderson, centrally.
    One thing that did work well for us throughout the tournament was the quickly-released, long pass down the wings. It's good to see an an England team with a bit of pace.
    I have promised my nine-year-old grandson that we will watch England win a WC Final together some day. I just hope I'm not gaga when it happens!
    You can always explain things better than I Aucks.
    That's basically all I am trying to say is, we have done far better in this WC than I ever imagined. I've been proven wrong with certain players (Maguire etc) and before hand I would have said Semi final was fantastic. I still do.
    I just feel it was an opportunity misse, once the draw opened out. No team has made me sit up and marvel. We may never get close again?

Some things we may slightly differ on. I don't think France looked anything special against Belgium. And haven't played any other side who are that good. Argentina where shocking. So for me, while they look better than those fairly mediocre sides, they aren't an unmovable object. That defence is absolutely there for the taking.
    And I just wouldn't see a top centre back, leave his man free like Stones did with their second goal. He didn't react, and turned off leaving his man free. It's a very small thng, and the rest of the tournament he was great. But that split second cost us. As good as they where 2nd half, and after 55 mins Modric turned up, what I'm saying is, by then, it should've been over. Had Shearer been playing we would've been going in 2 or 3 up at HT. By the time they got playing, it should've been over. But we stopped playing football, lost our composure, and invited them to play. And they grow in confidence. We missed our chance, massively.

Can't argue with that.

I'm seeing your point now champs, so I'll acknowledge it as fair.. One thing I think we can all agree on is Kane is no Shearer, said that before and I'll reiterate it now. Not fit to lace his boots.

I'm seeing your point now champs, so I'll acknowledge it as fair.. One thing I think we can all agree on is Kane is no Shearer, said that before and I'll reiterate it now. Not fit to lace his boots.

Also, I am a miserable old git now!! Don't forget that.
    So bare that in mind aswell.
    Why cant I just enjoy things anymore!? What's wrong with me?
    We got to a semi.
    Am I being really unfair and over critical?

I just want to see us win a world cup. I think it would be wonderful. I was so proud this tournament. Maybe I am just being really selfish.
    Please let me know if I am .........

Quote Originally Posted by champs95 View Post
    Also, I am a miserable old git now!! Don't forget that.
    So bare that in mind aswell.
    Why cant I just enjoy things anymore!? What's wrong with me?
    We got to a semi.
    Am I being really unfair and over critical?

I just want to see us win a world cup. I think it would be wonderful. I was so proud this tournament. Maybe I am just being really selfish.
    Please let me know if I am .........
    I think it's a natural reaction to disappointment, Champs. I would have expected to lose to France in the final, but it would have been nice to find out. I'm generally unflappable by nature, but I still felt the frustration of coming so close.

Despair will be making a special effort to get to the final, of course, because he's a big supporter of France...
    I can almost picture him now, with his hooped shirt, a baguette, a beret, a string of onions round his neck, and a mademoiselle on either arm. Despair on right, I believe.
    Name:  Despair.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  98.6 KB
    Last edited by AucklandRover; 13-07-2018 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    I think it's a natural reaction to disappointment, Champs. I would have expected to lose to France in the final, but it would have been nice to find out. I'm generally unflappable by nature, but I still felt the frustration of coming so close.

Despair will be making a special effort to get to the final, of course, because he's a big supporter of France...
    I can almost picture him now, with his hooped shirt, a baguette, a beret, a string of onions round his neck, and a mademoiselle on either arm. Despair on right, I believe.
    Name:  Despair.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  98.6 KB
    That's the very first thing I thought the other night Auks!! I would have found it too galling to lose to the French on Sunday. I can take Croatia, it hurts but I can take it. Losing to that lot, I don't think I could handle the arrogance etc.

Lets just get better, come again and try to emulate them next time. I do now for pretty much the first time in my life, think we stand a good chance of building from here. Never have we had such a good young side, that have gone so far, with such a good bright young manager who fans can finally get behind and trust. And good young players coming through underneath them. We may well have turned a corner here. Hopefully so .......

now the dust has settled, I do feel pride. And I do think you and your nephew have a good chance of sitting together and supporting us in a major final.

I promise mate, I really was not trying to pick a fight. I was a bit frustrated that's all.
    You surley all know what I'm like by now. The emotion takes over ......

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)