Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
I thought the second half was disappointing. Surely they knew the goal-difference situation! Without Panama's goal, or with one extra for us, a draw with Belgium would see us top the group!
For the Panama goal, all the players on the near side stepped up, but the ones on the far side didn't! Very poor communication. A lot of sloppy passing too. I know it was hot and it's hard to keep the adrenaline going when you're so far ahead, but I still think we should have tried harder to rub the superiority in.
Seems odd to moan after a five-goal victory, but we will have to be much sharper and more alert against Belgium. I hope Trippier is not out for that game.

Panama where just a non league side. That's the trouble with this WC. You have about 5 decent enough sides, the rest should not be there.
It was actually quite poor, we still haven't been given a real test, and when we do, we will come untstuck.
Even an XI picked from Div1 and 2 players would've qualified out of this group. What a decent nation would do, is work out the easiest route. For us, winning the group means we avoid Brazil in the quarters (who will get stronger) and play an out of sorts Germany instead. And we would likely play Senegal or Japan in the next round, and avoid the dangerous Columbians.

I will get really excited and start to believe once we play someone approaching half decent. I just fear we will be out once that happens.