+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Var

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    I'm a little bit younger, 59 tomorrow, I got maths, English, physics, chemistry and additional maths. I remember doing my o levels in feet, inches and lbs and then the a levels in metres and kgs.

On the TV front, my parents got one just before the Leeds v Chelsea cup final, do you remember being warned how it was dangerous for your eyes to watch too much colour TV?

My earliest football memory was the Korea v Portugal game in the 66 world Cup. My first domestic memory was WBA winning the FA Cup in 1968.
    Maybe that’s why I did so badly in maths...they asked the questions in feet, inches and lbs and I gave metric answers. Best excuse so far. Happy Birthday tomorrow anyway.

MA...you’ve still got your O level certificates? That’s just weird.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 21-06-2018 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Maybe that’s why I did so badly in maths...they asked the questions in feet, inches and lbs and I gave metric answers. Best excuse so far. Happy Birthday tomorrow anyway.

MA...you’ve still got your O level certificates? That’s just weird.
    Glad I had them too as I needed them to be able to start my 4 year teaching degree course. Even into your 40s and 50s over here you have to be able to prove everything on your CV with the necessary documentation. I have a folder with everything I have ever received including Lifesaving, First Aid, AED operative, Rowing Coach, Football Coach, Keeper's Coach, ITIL, NT2 (Dutch as a 2nd language), O Levels etc etc etc.

Were I to get invited to interview for a job tomorrow I would have to produce every certificate I claim to have...... Coaches badges show organisation, leadership, discipline and mentoring skills so they tell me

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Glad I had them too as I needed them to be able to start my 4 year teaching degree course. Even into your 40s and 50s over here you have to be able to prove everything on your CV with the necessary documentation. I have a folder with everything I have ever received including Lifesaving, First Aid, AED operative, Rowing Coach, Football Coach, Keeper's Coach, ITIL, NT2 (Dutch as a 2nd language), O Levels etc etc etc.

Were I to get invited to interview for a job tomorrow I would have to produce every certificate I claim to have...... Coaches badges show organisation, leadership, discipline and mentoring skills so they tell me
    Never ever been asked for mine. Just assumed they’d check up so I’ve never even tried to exaggerate, don’t think any of my kids, who’ve worked in three different countries as well as England, have ever been asked to provide proof of their qualifications either.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 21-06-2018 at 07:50 PM.

Only the ref can allow injured players to re-enter the field...... Niang was let back on by the 4th official.

Senegal's 2nd should have been disallowed.
    No. If during the pre-game briefing, the ref specifically told the 4th official to allow players back in if they aren't intefering with play, it's kosher.

FIFA have just announced that they will be monitoring VAR to ensure it is working properly............

...... so, refs monitoring the refs that are montoring the refs.....
    You should know better. Only qualified referees or assistants can exercise authority in a match.
    Moreover there is always a referees inspector and match commissioner at every match.
    They submit reports accordingly and no matter what anyone else says it's the referees inspector's report that has a final say.

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis View Post
    You should know better. Only qualified referees or assistants can exercise authority in a match.
    Moreover there is always a referees inspector and match commissioner at every match.
    They submit reports accordingly and no matter what anyone else says it's the referees inspector's report that has a final say.
    Where did I say anybody but the ref or his assistants can exercise authority in a match. All I did was repeat a statement from FIFA that they were going to have people monitoring those monitoring the ref via VAR.

Even if these new monitors see something (and their presence is mainly designed at improving VAR so they might only report back to FIFA rather than actually intervene real time. The statement didn't make that clear) , all they can do is tell the VAR team. All the VAR team can do is tell the ref that he might like to look at a particular incident. It is then the ref who decides whether or not to give the goal/penalty.

I do know better. You should know better than to try and twist someone's words. The problem is, you do, you simply can't pass over a chance to try to cause mischief. Now trot off back to your Tree House and leave the grown ups to have sensible discussions.

This new position you have taken as "representative" of some and defender of the forum obviously gives you a lot of pleasure or you wouldn't still de doing it. The problem is that there are others on here, me included, who find it annoying. Which, quite likely also pleases you. I wish you would stop.
    Last edited by MadAmster; 22-06-2018 at 07:41 AM.

Where did I say anybody but the ref or his assistants can exercise authority in a match. All I did was repeat a statement from FIFA that they were going to have people monitoring those monitoring the ref via VAR.

Even if these new monitors see something (and their presence is mainly designed at improving VAR so they might only report back to FIFA rather than actually intervene real time. The statement didn't make that clear) , all they can do is tell the VAR team. All the VAR team can do is tell the ref that he might like to look at a particular incident. It is then the ref who decides whether or not to give the goal/penalty.

I do know better. You should know better than to try and twist someone's words. The problem is, you do, you simply can't pass over a chance to try to cause mischief. Now trot off back to your Tree House and leave the grown ups to have sensible discussions.

This new position you have taken as "representative" of some and defender of the forum obviously gives you a lot of pleasure or you wouldn't still de doing it. The problem is that there are others on here, me included, who find it annoying. Which, quite likely also pleases you. I wish you would stop.
    Spot on MA...the Forest contributors on both ‘our’ sites have just become major irritants since the season finished.
    Tbf Rom was okay during most of last season...i.e. after late September when Forest’s season finished ...but things have certainly changed.
    Mind you, a glance at their FM site tells you all you need to know...facile comments to utterly tasteless bullying seems to have become the order of the day. Glad we still have some more intelligent debates on here and V*tal and hope we don’t get dragged down to their level.

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis View Post
    No. If during the pre-game briefing, the ref specifically told the 4th official to allow players back in if they aren't intefering with play, it's kosher.
    I would like to know where you got that little gem from.

Here is Law 5 - The Referee. Nothing in there about the 4th official being allowed to let players back on to the field of play.

Page 18 - 2 situations sketched. In one the ref sees the player and waves him back on, in the other, an assistant or the 4th official let the ref know the player is ready to re-enter the field but even in this case, it is the ref, and no-one else, who may give permission for the player to re-enter the field.

Now now before you go and jump the gun, I was not aware of that particular issue on Fifa reviewing things.
    And why all these defensiveness?
    Isn't the forum a place to exchange views?
    I stand by what I said based on face value what you wrote.
    Refs monitoring refs.
    As a ref yourself I believed you surely would know this has always been the case.Refs assessors and comittees are always filled by referees (retired etc). This is the only way it can be. And that's my point. Only referees can look into referees performance. We cannot have outsiders doing it.
    Taking at face value what you wrote naturally I was puzzled why you or all people were implying with that phrase as if it's something untoward.
    What twist and turn is there?

You wrote something ambiguous and naturally I questioned the veracity.
    And what has all this got to do with DCFC etc?

If you always want to be right, then be clear in what you wrote?

I would like to know where you got that little gem from.

Here is Law 5 - The Referee. Nothing in there about the 4th official being allowed to let players back on to the field of play.

Page 18 - 2 situations sketched. In one the ref sees the player and waves him back on, in the other, an assistant or the 4th official let the ref know the player is ready to re-enter the field but even in this case, it is the ref, and no-one else, who may give permission for the player to re-enter the field.
    Errm isn't a 4th official acting on a referees instruction doing the same thing?
    I am well aware of the rule but in recent years in order to speed up matters, many minor issues are okayed by Fifa. E.g.: if a player wants to leave the field and is not interfering in active play, if he notifies the assistant or 4 th official, there's no need to go and wait for the referee at the other end of the pitch.
    That's what my association and the confederation decreed during my time. We almost always allowed a player to re-enter via the linesman or 4 th official if he wasn't anywhere close to active play. This was practised in the top leagues whilst at junior levels we were told to follow the law.
    The reason being that lower youth levels, it's important to teach players rules, whereas as they progressed upwards the idea was to consider the spirit of the game. Fans pay money, tv and sponsors, nobody wants to see a a referee being petty and a jobsworth.

Not that I disagree with you, but that's what it was then for me. I mean look at the amount of foul throws in top matches or even players standing in the pitch and making a throw inbor a goalie taking an extra step out the box. Very common but it's almost an accepted thing.

The question is would you as a top referee in an A game be it club or international, raise your flag for such a minor infringement and thus deny a goal?

These things though against the letter of the law is overlooked. Another would be a player in an offside position who doesn't actively involve himself in play but by his mere position kinds of blocks the goalie's line of sight. A goal is scored from another player and the goal is given although if you look at the law, the offside player should be flagged because he's interfering with an opponent.
    But this almost always never called.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)