+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Var

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Or even if we’d ever have actually won the World Cup had VAR and goal line technology been available in those far off days.
    Don't even go there!

Quote Originally Posted by Manofpride View Post
    Don't even go there!
    I will.... and the answer to rA's question on would we have won the World Cup in '66 had VAR and goal line technology been around back then.... is a resounding yes!!

Reason? 20 seconds before the end of normal time the Germans were awarded the equaliser making it 2-2 and the game went into extra time. In those 2 x 15 minutes Geoff Hurst "scored" the goal that never was. I have a DVD of the 66 World Cup and part of it is footage filmed, in colour by a USA film crew, from the corner where the "Russian" linesman (who wasn't Russian, Tofiq Bahramov was from Azerbaijan) was stood, clearly shows the ball landing on the line so Geoff's 2nd should not have counted. However, neither should the German equaliser have counted either as Karl Heinz Schnellinger was offside under the offside Law as it was then. It would not have been offside as the Laws stand today......

Extra time was actually unnecessary as the Germans didn't "really" equalise. It was Bahramov who missed the offside and also Bahramov who said Hurst's effort was a goal. I have always maintained that he made the second mistake to make up for the first one. He shouldn't try to make amends but, IMO, he did.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    I will.... and the answer to rA's question on would we have won the World Cup in '66 had VAR and goal line technology been around back then.... is a resounding yes!!

Reason? 20 seconds before the end of normal time the Germans were awarded the equaliser making it 2-2 and the game went into extra time. In those 2 x 15 minutes Geoff Hurst "scored" the goal that never was. I have a DVD of the 66 World Cup and part of it is footage filmed, in colour by a USA film crew, from the corner where the "Russian" linesman (who wasn't Russian, Tofiq Bahramov was from Azerbaijan) was stood, clearly shows the ball landing on the line so Geoff's 2nd should not have counted. However, neither should the German equaliser have counted either as Karl Heinz Schnellinger was offside under the offside Law as it was then. It would not have been offside as the Laws stand today......

Extra time was actually unnecessary as the Germans didn't "really" equalise. It was Bahramov who missed the offside and also Bahramov who said Hurst's effort was a goal. I have always maintained that he made the second mistake to make up for the first one. He shouldn't try to make amends but, IMO, he did.
    I was only making mischief...of course we won the World Cup. You and I were all of twelve MA but for many/most on here I suppose it’s nothing more than history and they’re just used to years of repeated failure with the tone of disappointment being set in Mexico four years later...which also seriously messed up my ‘O’ levels!
    Good explanation for why the ‘did it cross the line’ goal fuss shouldn’t have mattered though.

The ‘colour’ thing is odd isn’t it? definitely watched in black and white, my parents didn’t get colour TV till late ‘72, but my ‘memories’ are all in colour...suppose they’re built around all the fifty two (!!) years of subsequent images we’ve been bombarded with since.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 20-06-2018 at 08:14 AM.

I was only making mischief...of course we won the World Cup. You and I were all of twelve MA but for many/most on here I suppose it’s nothing more than history and they’re just used to years of repeated failure with the tone of disappointment being set in Mexico four years later...which also seriously messed up my ‘O’ levels!
    Good explanation for why the ‘did it cross the line’ goal fuss shouldn’t have mattered though.

The ‘colour’ thing is odd isn’t it? definitely watched in black and white, my parents didn’t get colour TV till late ‘72, but my ‘memories’ are all in colour...suppose they’re built around all the fifty two (!!) years of subsequent images we’ve been bombarded with since.
    66 final was the first match I watched, although the 67 FA Cup Final was the first match I REMEMBER watching....

For 70, I was allowed time off school to watch the highlights programmes, and our household was part of an experiment to make black and white tv's show colour - after five days of watching everyone in black, white, blue or purple my dad cracked and rented a colour tv for the rest of the tournament, returned one month later.

Yet another commonality rA

Had to resit all but one the next year...........

My big failure was Physics. Took the Cambridge Board Exam 3 times. Grades 1 through 6 were passes, 7 meant you were half a gnat's knacker away from passing, 8 and 9 were dismal and an F probably signalled you even got your name wrong..... Three sevens..... Ho hum.

Just the (Hawaii) 5 O's for me French, English, Spanish, Maths and History. Didn't stop me having a varied and successful career plus being able to retire at 60. 18 months as a trainee accountant. 30 years IT going from trainee operator to managing multiple departments, 70 odd staff and 8 figure budgets, 11 as a teacher and then 2 years part time ( 2 or 3 days a week) IT recruitment after retiring.

Ah so you got your O levels in new pence - I got mine in old money where you needed to multiply by 2.4 to convert them. The advantage of doing them in a non world cup year. Also did Cambridge Board which everyone tells me was the easiest examination board with JMB being the hardest?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Ah so you got your O levels in new pence - I got mine in old money where you needed to multiply by 2.4 to convert them. The advantage of doing them in a non world cup year. Also did Cambridge Board which everyone tells me was the easiest examination board with JMB being the hardest?
    Ha...just Parky making out he’s a year younger!!!
    I did JMB...never did Physics though...useless at Science and Maths...probably be given a phobia or syndrome nowadays...back then I think it was ‘lazy arty, farty nuisance’...at least that was what my headmaster called me!

I'm a little bit younger, 59 tomorrow, I got maths, English, physics, chemistry and additional maths. I remember doing my o levels in feet, inches and lbs and then the a levels in metres and kgs.

On the TV front, my parents got one just before the Leeds v Chelsea cup final, do you remember being warned how it was dangerous for your eyes to watch too much colour TV?

My earliest football memory was the Korea v Portugal game in the 66 world Cup. My first domestic memory was WBA winning the FA Cup in 1968.

First colour TV was acquired by my Dad for the moon landings in 1969 which, if I remember correctly were not in colour, but rather grainy grey-brown. Ah well, it was at least a Bang & Olufsen. Around the same time my uncle, who wasnt much older than me, bought a stereo record player / hifi system from Boots and scratched the first O the T and the S off to simulate B&O!

But my first recollection of "colour" TV was maybe 5 years prior to that when the people who lived next door got one - or rather bought a blue red and green screen filter to stick on the screen. They then could see horse racing (their passion) with blue sky, green grass and a uniform red group of horses and jockeys in the middle. In retrospect a truly strange concept, but so many technological advances of the 60's now seem wierd

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    I read this and thought..... is my memory playing tricks so I went to check my susstifikits........... JMB.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)