+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Kids in America

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post

sorry,site doesn't open for me - BT.........says: Unfortunately, our website is currently unavailable....etc

Shame is that Norder because it is a good article. I can't open the link now either!

My father-in-law was in "happy state meltdown" after the 6-1 England victory, but over dinner he asked whatever happened to the moral standards of the US and mentioned some inscription for arriving immigrants on the Statue of Liberty. I looked it up:
    Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me.
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door.

Trump has wrecked that ideology, the welcome mat is in the bin, he now wants to export more US manufactured guns, perhaps he hopes the undesirables will all just kill themselves?

Shame is that Norder because it is a good article. I can't open the link now either!

My father-in-law was in "happy state meltdown" after the 6-1 England victory, but over dinner he asked whatever happened to the moral standards of the US and mentioned some inscription for arriving immigrants on the Statue of Liberty. I looked it up:

Trump has wrecked that ideology, the welcome mat is in the bin, he now wants to export more US manufactured guns, perhaps he hopes the undesirables will all just kill themselves?
    Nothing has changed regarding the US policy on illegal immigration. See Post 43 for details of the efforts Obama made to keep out the undesirables.

I don't recall Obama separating children from their parents though sinkov and holding them in cages.

and made the Native Americans tired and poor.....turned them into homeless huddled masses etc

Liberty - the generous mother receiving the worlds downtrodden with welcoming arms.....but the reality wasn't so bright for those later immigrants - many being unskilled and uneducated had a hard time of it - seen as second class citizens and treated as such - I read that the Ellis Island immigration centre was opened in 1892 - with entrants subject to medical and legal examination.

Then in....1907, The Immigration Act consisted of a series of reforms to restrict the number of immigrants and established the Dillingham Commission whose report led to further stringent and specific immigration restrictions.

1911: The Dillingham Commission report was issued favoring 'Old Immigrants'

1921: The Emergency Quota Act used of quota system to restrict the number of immigrants from a given country (3% of the number of residents from that same country living in the US based on the 1910 U.S. Census)

1924: The Immigration Act (Johnson-Reed Act) restricted the number of immigrants from a given country to 2% of the number of residents from that same country living in the US. 87% of permits went to immigrants from Britain, Ireland, Germany, and Scandinavia

"87% of permits went to immigrants from Britain, Ireland, Germany, and Scandinavia" - you can almost reflect in the whiteness Norder…

Nothing much changes - does it?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)