Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 241

Thread: O/t - them!

  1. #161
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,484
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutherland Arab View Post
    Agree with this 100%
    Such an inferiority complex that our country voted against governing itself. Pathetic
    About time there wasn't the contentment of England going out of a major tournament early to smokescreen that we haven't qualified for over 20 years and haven't moved forward one bit at our national sport in that time.
    England have played well at a tournament with no outstanding nation in it (we didn't even get into a playoff). If they win the WC fair play to them.
    Nah, sorry, I'm no having that one. Devolution has meant we can put money into football if we want, instead quite rightly its being diverted into health and social care (Franks Law for instance?) for example. Scottish football itself generates money that should be self funding to the betterment of the international team. Two self vested 'institutions' stop, and will continue to stop, any change to that.

  2. #162
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Valencia Spain
    Posts
    10,554
    Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    Not entirely true James,if we were an independent nation they may have not qualified having only drawn with us at home and been hammered in Glasgow,do you no remember Croatia(INDEPENDENT)and the Wally we the brolly?. Thig Ar Latha!!!.
    GB, this is complete nonsense, there's no facts (and I know how much you like a fact) to prove your theory. Don't get me wrong, if Scotland could invest more in the national team - grassroots/infrastrucure/facilities etc - I'd be as happy as you would be, but without facts to support the theory it's more political playmaking imo

  3. #163
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Valencia Spain
    Posts
    10,554
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    Nah, sorry, I'm no having that one. Devolution has meant we can put money into football if we want, instead quite rightly its being diverted into health and social care (Franks Law for instance?) for example. Scottish football itself generates money that should be self funding to the betterment of the international team. Two self vested 'institutions' stop, and will continue to stop, any change to that.
    I think this goes to the root of the problem, James. Scottish football serves Sevco and Celtic. If Scotland was completely independent how much more money in funding would the SFA get? Not sure they'd get any, but been wrong before

  4. #164
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,991
    Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    Its also worth remembering that Iceland poured millions of Krona into football because they were fed up of being a laughing stock,they qualified for the Euro's(We didnie) then knocked oot the country(England) who give us our pocket money.To show that was not a one off they then made it to the World Cup in Russia(We never) and drew 1-1 with Argentina,this is a country with a population similar or smaller than Edinburgh,the big difference?,independent nation no getting pocket money from its bigger Nordic cousin's,FACT.
    You must bear in mind G that in an independent Scotland Sturgeon would still pump all our hard earned into facilities, structure, coaching etc etc into the west coast as it's always been.

    That might lead to having a better national side but as usual anything north of Stirling domestically will suffer.

    I personally voted YES in the last referendum. Don't know if i still would in the next. The West and the central belt always gets looked after and we're always the poor relations.

  5. #165
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    12,511
    Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    OK it's late on a Saturday night but maybe next week instead of political point scoring someone can post up hard facts as to exactly what the funding issues are. 1 How much is available to the SFA now? 2 How much MORE would be available to the SFA if the country had independent financing sources?

    It would be nice to have this debate without it resorting to politics because that will only get the thread locked at some point?
    If i was a Tory in Westminster i would give F ALL to sport in Scotland,why should they?,they support The Three Lions and Brexit,no country on planet earth would be stupid enough to support their neighbours effort's on the playing field's of world sport.The Scottish office in London fly the flag of ST George every time England play in the World Cup,FACT.

  6. #166
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    12,511
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitfieldarab View Post
    You must bear in mind G that in an independent Scotland Sturgeon would still pump all our hard earned into facilities, structure, coaching etc etc into the west coast as it's always been.

    That might lead to having a better national side but as usual anything north of Stirling domestically will suffer.

    I personally voted YES in the last referendum. Don't know if i still would in the next. The West and the central belt always gets looked after and we're always the poor relations.
    You must be FN blind mate a bit like the Organ grinder and his FN monkey scenario,since this city voted YES public and private money has poured into Dundee on a scale never witnessed in its history,FACT.

  7. #167
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Valencia Spain
    Posts
    10,554
    Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    If i was a Tory in Westminster i would give F ALL to sport in Scotland,why should they?,they support The Three Lions and Brexit,no country on planet earth would be stupid enough to support their neighbours effort's on the playing field's of world sport.The Scottish office in London fly the flag of ST George every time England play in the World Cup,FACT.
    Thats all politics mate, no facts to support the theory. I'm not saying you're wrong about funding tbh but repeating old political leanings to support a theory without any facts is not on

  8. #168
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    12,511
    Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    gb, this is complete nonsense, there's no facts (and i know how much you like a fact) to prove your theory. Don't get me wrong, if scotland could invest more in the national team - grassroots/infrastrucure/facilities etc - i'd be as happy as you would be, but without facts to support the theory it's more political playmaking imo
    iceland,iceland,iceland,fact.

  9. #169
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Valencia Spain
    Posts
    10,554
    Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    iceland,iceland,iceland,fact.
    How do they fund the national team differently from Scotland? What's their national budget?

  10. #170
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,991
    Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    You must be FN blind mate a bit like the Organ grinder and his FN monkey scenario,since this city voted YES public and private money has poured into Dundee on a scale never witnessed in its history,FACT.
    Outwith football yeah and fair enough there's something happening at Caird Park but overall we are miles behind Glasgow & surrounding.

  11. #171
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    12,511
    Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    Thats all politics mate, no facts to support the theory. I'm not saying you're wrong about funding tbh but repeating old political leanings to support a theory without any facts is not on
    You have been oot(OUT for you)the country for to lang(long)mate.Nothing to do with politic's,our national sport is a laughing stock worldwide i cannie blame that on Westminster.We had teams in the past who qualified in times of poverty but in these days of organised sport rather than tanner ball futba played on the streets we are miles behind independent countries who put more into their sport than the Barnett formula does for us,Jesus Phuck wakey wakey why should the country that runs us give us the opportunity to star on the world stage?,if i was English i would not put one penny more than i had to into Scotland's national sport.

  12. #172
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Dundee
    Posts
    427
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    Nah, sorry, I'm no having that one. Devolution has meant we can put money into football if we want, instead quite rightly its being diverted into health and social care (Franks Law for instance?) for example. Scottish football itself generates money that should be self funding to the betterment of the international team. Two self vested 'institutions' stop, and will continue to stop, any change to that.
    Keeping it about football the point I'm making is our country needs to look after it's own affairs instead of having one eye on England all the time. As far as the national team goes we have been doing the same old sh1te for years and getting the same outcome, yet England go out on pens and everything is ok.
    FFS we even get England games on terrestrial TV but only get Scotland when we play a meaningless friendly. In what other country would this happen?
    You're maybe right about the funding issue and the SFA are not fit for purpose but surely the football psyche needs to change up here.

  13. #173
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Valencia Spain
    Posts
    10,554
    I get the impression that Dundee as a city is benefitting from a bit of catch up investment and about time too. Investors look for affordable housing, low rents and the potential to grow their ingoing investment so it makes sense that Dundee at last is seeing a bit of an upsurge.

  14. #174
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Dundee
    Posts
    427
    Sorry just remembered we did get a qualifier on terrestrial, against England with mainly English commentators and pundits looking at it from an England point of view.

  15. #175
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    12,511
    Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    How do they fund the national team differently from Scotland? What's their national budget?
    Jesus phuck mate they are an independent nation who have chosen to use their own money to build over 180 all weather pitches so their youngster's can play and train in any weather,they have 7 indoor arena's with full size pitches.They do not need the permission of Theresa May or Westminster to do this.Iceland are miles ahead of Scotland in the FIFA rankings because they have chosen to spend loads of money on sport to keep their country healthy whereas we are granted money from another country just to keep public services ticking over till the oil and gas runs oot(out).

  16. #176
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,991
    Tell yous what guys just been watching Anderson come from 6-2 down v Wade to win 8-7 in a semi final (now v Cross in the final) . Fk the futba Mon the darts😂

  17. #177
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Valencia Spain
    Posts
    10,554
    Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    You have been oot(OUT for you)the country for to lang(long)mate.Nothing to do with politic's,our national sport is a laughing stock worldwide i cannie blame that on Westminster.We had teams in the past who qualified in times of poverty but in these days of organised sport rather than tanner ball futba played on the streets we are miles behind independent countries who put more into their sport than the Barnett formula does for us,Jesus Phuck wakey wakey why should the country that runs us give us the opportunity to star on the world stage?,if i was English i would not put one penny more than i had to into Scotland's national sport.
    Since when does speaking like Pa Broon make you more Scottish than anyone? I still have family and friends in Scotland and visit three or four times year and we do talk politics. But never religion. I keep in touch and I regard myself as Scottish as anyone. Being able to communicate well is something that many Scots have been able to do in many overseas countries, something that has made Scotland and Scottish ex pats very popular worldwide.

    When I come back to Scotland now I see it in a very different light to my time there. I see a nation that has lost it's chip on shoulder mentality, a country that is very comfortable in its skin. A country that certainly could wear independence if the economics of it stacked up.

    But when it comes to football - and that is the subject - we are still parochial. That is to say we still load everything in favour of Sevco and Celtic. It's finally killed our game. If the best coach suitable for driving grass roots development in the game was from Arbroath and he was being interviewed (in Glasgow) alongside candidates with Sevco/Celtic connections, who do you think will get the job? I sense, because I have no facts to back it up, that the SFA mentality first and foremost, the religious (I said it) and Glasgow centric attitudes are the main things that are holding us back.

    Iceland do not have a Celtic or Sevco. What they clearly have is a football governing body that is motivated without prejudice to get a decent national team on the pitch. Until we change our parochial attitude no amount of cash will help.

  18. #178
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Valencia Spain
    Posts
    10,554
    Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    Jesus phuck mate they are an independent nation who have chosen to use their own money to build over 180 all weather pitches so their youngster's can play and train in any weather,they have 7 indoor arena's with full size pitches.They do not need the permission of Theresa May or Westminster to do this.Iceland are miles ahead of Scotland in the FIFA rankings because they have chosen to spend loads of money on sport to keep their country healthy whereas we are granted money from another country just to keep public services ticking over till the oil and gas runs oot(out).
    This is from Wiki on Iceland. imo it's not dependent on independence it's dependent on wanting to do it.

    The seeds for this rise were planted by the KSí in the mid-1990s, when it began discussions on how to overcome its challenges of population and climate. The initiative bore its first fruit in 2000, when KSí built the first of a series of domed football facilities known as "football houses" in Keflavík near the country's main international airport.[14] Eventually, a total of 15 football houses were commissioned,[12] some with full-sized pitches and others with half-size pitches,[14] with these facilities supplemented by more than 20 full-sized outdoor artificial pitches and over 100 smaller artificial pitches throughout the country.[12] All children's schools in the country now have at least a five-a-side football pitch on their premises.[14] Additionally, all of the football houses are publicly owned, making access easier and much less expensive than comparable facilities in many other countries.[15][16][17][18]

  19. #179
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,991
    Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    You have been oot(OUT for you)the country for to lang(long)mate.Nothing to do with politic's,our national sport is a laughing stock worldwide i cannie blame that on Westminster.We had teams in the past who qualified in times of poverty but in these days of organised sport rather than tanner ball futba played on the streets we are miles behind independent countries who put more into their sport than the Barnett formula does for us,Jesus Phuck wakey wakey why should the country that runs us give us the opportunity to star on the world stage?,if i was English i would not put one penny more than i had to into Scotland's national sport.
    This is fkn patronising towards Stokey here G. One of the best posters on here imo. Nae need.

  20. #180
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Valencia Spain
    Posts
    10,554
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitfieldarab View Post
    This is fkn patronising towards Stokey here G. One of the best posters on here imo. Nae need.
    He was just teasing W, I take it all as banter and that's exactly what it is. He'd be the first poster I'd buy a pint for. Next week I'm going to try and find out a bit more about how Iceland funded the facilities.
    Last edited by stokearab; 08-07-2018 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Forgot FTD

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •