+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: O/t - them!

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    Thats all politics mate, no facts to support the theory. I'm not saying you're wrong about funding tbh but repeating old political leanings to support a theory without any facts is not on
    You have been oot(OUT for you)the country for to lang(long)mate.Nothing to do with politic's,our national sport is a laughing stock worldwide i cannie blame that on Westminster.We had teams in the past who qualified in times of poverty but in these days of organised sport rather than tanner ball futba played on the streets we are miles behind independent countries who put more into their sport than the Barnett formula does for us,Jesus Phuck wakey wakey why should the country that runs us give us the opportunity to star on the world stage?,if i was English i would not put one penny more than i had to into Scotland's national sport.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    Nah, sorry, I'm no having that one. Devolution has meant we can put money into football if we want, instead quite rightly its being diverted into health and social care (Franks Law for instance?) for example. Scottish football itself generates money that should be self funding to the betterment of the international team. Two self vested 'institutions' stop, and will continue to stop, any change to that.
    Keeping it about football the point I'm making is our country needs to look after it's own affairs instead of having one eye on England all the time. As far as the national team goes we have been doing the same old sh1te for years and getting the same outcome, yet England go out on pens and everything is ok.
    FFS we even get England games on terrestrial TV but only get Scotland when we play a meaningless friendly. In what other country would this happen?
    You're maybe right about the funding issue and the SFA are not fit for purpose but surely the football psyche needs to change up here.

I get the impression that Dundee as a city is benefitting from a bit of catch up investment and about time too. Investors look for affordable housing, low rents and the potential to grow their ingoing investment so it makes sense that Dundee at last is seeing a bit of an upsurge.

Sorry just remembered we did get a qualifier on terrestrial, against England with mainly English commentators and pundits looking at it from an England point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    How do they fund the national team differently from Scotland? What's their national budget?
    Jesus phuck mate they are an independent nation who have chosen to use their own money to build over 180 all weather pitches so their youngster's can play and train in any weather,they have 7 indoor arena's with full size pitches.They do not need the permission of Theresa May or Westminster to do this.Iceland are miles ahead of Scotland in the FIFA rankings because they have chosen to spend loads of money on sport to keep their country healthy whereas we are granted money from another country just to keep public services ticking over till the oil and gas runs oot(out).

Tell yous what guys just been watching Anderson come from 6-2 down v Wade to win 8-7 in a semi final (now v Cross in the final) . Fk the futba Mon the darts😂

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    You have been oot(OUT for you)the country for to lang(long)mate.Nothing to do with politic's,our national sport is a laughing stock worldwide i cannie blame that on Westminster.We had teams in the past who qualified in times of poverty but in these days of organised sport rather than tanner ball futba played on the streets we are miles behind independent countries who put more into their sport than the Barnett formula does for us,Jesus Phuck wakey wakey why should the country that runs us give us the opportunity to star on the world stage?,if i was English i would not put one penny more than i had to into Scotland's national sport.
    Since when does speaking like Pa Broon make you more Scottish than anyone? I still have family and friends in Scotland and visit three or four times year and we do talk politics. But never religion. I keep in touch and I regard myself as Scottish as anyone. Being able to communicate well is something that many Scots have been able to do in many overseas countries, something that has made Scotland and Scottish ex pats very popular worldwide.

When I come back to Scotland now I see it in a very different light to my time there. I see a nation that has lost it's chip on shoulder mentality, a country that is very comfortable in its skin. A country that certainly could wear independence if the economics of it stacked up.

But when it comes to football - and that is the subject - we are still parochial. That is to say we still load everything in favour of Sevco and Celtic. It's finally killed our game. If the best coach suitable for driving grass roots development in the game was from Arbroath and he was being interviewed (in Glasgow) alongside candidates with Sevco/Celtic connections, who do you think will get the job? I sense, because I have no facts to back it up, that the SFA mentality first and foremost, the religious (I said it) and Glasgow centric attitudes are the main things that are holding us back.

Iceland do not have a Celtic or Sevco. What they clearly have is a football governing body that is motivated without prejudice to get a decent national team on the pitch. Until we change our parochial attitude no amount of cash will help.

Jesus phuck mate they are an independent nation who have chosen to use their own money to build over 180 all weather pitches so their youngster's can play and train in any weather,they have 7 indoor arena's with full size pitches.They do not need the permission of Theresa May or Westminster to do this.Iceland are miles ahead of Scotland in the FIFA rankings because they have chosen to spend loads of money on sport to keep their country healthy whereas we are granted money from another country just to keep public services ticking over till the oil and gas runs oot(out).
    This is from Wiki on Iceland. imo it's not dependent on independence it's dependent on wanting to do it.

The seeds for this rise were planted by the KSí in the mid-1990s, when it began discussions on how to overcome its challenges of population and climate. The initiative bore its first fruit in 2000, when KSí built the first of a series of domed football facilities known as "football houses" in Keflavík near the country's main international airport.[14] Eventually, a total of 15 football houses were commissioned,[12] some with full-sized pitches and others with half-size pitches,[14] with these facilities supplemented by more than 20 full-sized outdoor artificial pitches and over 100 smaller artificial pitches throughout the country.[12] All children's schools in the country now have at least a five-a-side football pitch on their premises.[14] Additionally, all of the football houses are publicly owned, making access easier and much less expensive than comparable facilities in many other countries.[15][16][17][18]

This is fkn patronising towards Stokey here G. One of the best posters on here imo. Nae need.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfieldarab View Post
    This is fkn patronising towards Stokey here G. One of the best posters on here imo. Nae need.
    He was just teasing W, I take it all as banter and that's exactly what it is. He'd be the first poster I'd buy a pint for. Next week I'm going to try and find out a bit more about how Iceland funded the facilities.
    Last edited by stokearab; 08-07-2018 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Forgot FTD

Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)