+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New season captain

If O'Connor doesn't sign, the captain should be Noble. The fact that some question this begs the wider question of whether he should be playing at all. Don Masson he is not, but someone made the decision to take FGR's captain away from them and we either have to stick with him or get rid.

Duffy should not be captain because KN surely reserves the right to pick Hall ahead of him.

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    He captained FGR to get promotion to L1 & never got sent off once!
    Are you sure about that?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeekay56 View Post
    Are you sure about that?
    L2

Quote Originally Posted by Jeekay56 View Post
    Are you sure about that?
    He captained FGR to promotion to L2 and didn't get sent off during the season.

I’m not sure that the captaincy is particularly important in football, but what you do need is several different players who are capable of shouting advice and encouragement at their teammates. If you have this, it would be possible to appoint a captain who doesn’t necessarily play all the time, who would act as a link, when needed, between the dressing room and the management, and would also be the club’s ambassador at external functions.

Captaincy is made into a bigger deal than it really is. Being vocal or the best player does not necessarily mean you will make a good captain. I would much prefer to see 11 players on the pitch, cajoling each other on, stepping in when there mate is about to cross the line, performing to the best of their abilities, when the going gets tough they role there sleeves up and graft. It’s not one mans responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post

Duffy should not be captain because KN surely reserves the right to pick Hall ahead of him.

Surely that is true of anyone in the squad. KN could pick someone else in their place. O'Connor was club captain last season and rarely played and we knew he wouldn't from the start of the season.

Stead will be club captain if O'Connor leaves. On pitch captain will no doubt be duffy with I'd suspect Tootle as a back up

Not sure who I would want for club captain should O'Connor depart, NOT Noble I agree what's been said about him in previous posts....maybe Brisley, but still not sure about Duffy because of some of his imbarrassing antics....

Don't think club captains nowadays, and I include the likes of Gerrard, Beckham, Henderson and the new England captain Kane are a patch on the likes of the old school captains like, Billy Wright, Dave Mackay, our own Don Masson, Graeme Souness, and dare I say Terry Hennessey from across the river who to me are players with the right type of in your face antics to captain a club...Just my opinion....

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    He captained FGR to get promotion to L1 & never got sent off once!
    I don't think not getting sent off is a reason to make him captain. My view is that a captain needs to be a consistent and commanding player, of which Noble is neither.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast