+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question

A question

Thanks Blockers for the off topic clearance.

Remember that mega thread years ago about the Moon landings, Methven was getting hammered from all sides for his denial the landings ever happened…I think the thread made the classics section at one point.

Anyway, I was on a few Youtube channels a while back reading comments about the same thing etc when I stumbled onto what has become a bit of an obsession with me….

FLAT EARTH…..yep, it’s still a thing, I had no idea except for maybe a few nut job conspiracy theorists over the years but no, it’s a major thing & growing all the time, there are hundreds if not thousands of people who believe the Earth is flat…..well, I was hooked, subscribing to channels left right & centre, I was(still am)reading & watching everything I could that these people (Flatards) & what I call normal people(Globists)post on Youtube.

There was even a flat Earth rally in Sheffield a week or so ago, in’t Peace Gardens, there’s a video of it…….this is where my warning comes in though, if you get hooked on this subject as I and many hundreds of others have it gets a bit mental, I’ve gone through many phases over the months trying to work out where these people are coming from, I think I’ve got it now but I’ve wasted hours on it…some I’ve read about have lost their families over it, others their friends….it seems totally mad at first but delve into it deep enough & you find it IS mad but more than that it very very sad.

So I guess I’m reluctantly asking if we have any flat Earthers(Flerfers) in our midst….anyone want to ‘debate’ the issue…..I’ll save other stuff until or if there’s an interest in this on here.

One thing I will say that’s positive & that’s I’ve learnt a hell of a lot about our planet, orbital mechanics, gravity, Earth curvature calculators etc etc etc that I would never have really known about but for this.

Most of us on here hail from Sheffield even if we don't live here anymore I can assure you anyone who comes from Sheffield doesn't think the earth is flat we have to walk,run,cycle or drive up or down too many hills

Wonder where the flatards stand on this

https://mobile.twitter.com/Radiant_N...185472/video/1

Most Pig fans think the Earth is flat as well as thinking The Pigs are massive. Could be a Name:  46B860AD-4179-473E-A3C3-B0F2EC46BD12.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  8.9 KB thing.

Hi Aussie. Flat Earth theorists are generally one of two things, people having a laugh or self proclaimed self obsessed self appointed intellectuals wanting to be different.

The ancient Greeks knew the world was a sphere and no reputable scholar since then has claimed the world was flat. The claims were made in Victorian times and then again in the mid twentieth century. The Flat Earth Society does, however, have members all around the globe.

Good start?
    Last edited by Holden_C; 20-06-2018 at 11:24 AM.

one of my lads is a navigator on a mega yacht
    the ETO (Electrical Technical Officer) is a flat earther
    he's in charge of the satellite communications - satellites that orbit the earth...
    and the GPS systems "Global Positioning" as in GLOBE
    but is adamant that the earth is flat

Bet he sh_ts himself when he gets near the edge of one of his maps

Quote Originally Posted by Holden_C View Post
    Hi Aussie. Flat Earth theorists are generally one of two things, people having a laugh or self proclaimed self obsessed self appointed intellectuals wanting to be different.

The ancient Greeks knew the world was a sphere and no reputable scholar since then has claimed the world was flat. The claims were made in Victorian times and then again in the mid twentieth century. The Flat Earth Society does, however, have members all around the globe.

Good start?
    Excellent start H

Your two theorists descriptions are correct but there are a few more....if Youtube is a guide & I think it is given that the internet is by far the biggest reason for a resurgence in Flat Earth theory, then most people who claim a flat Earth are believers in God, a minority of people who believe in God & also a particular type.

The type are those who take the Bible at it's most literal, they believe there is a firmament, a stationary flat plain covered by a dome, you cannot budge these people.....others fall into the category of being trolls, conspiracy theorists & the like but the one I despise the most are the ones who know the Earth is a globe but pretend otherwise for financial gain...they monetise their channels but worse than that they ask for donations to fund experiments to prove a flat Earth when the most they come with is posting a PDF file showing random incorrect geometry of some sort.

The trolls are just scum, in it purely to cause disruption & spread argument but easily recognised after a few posts.....I tell you H, once you're into this thing it gets a hold, I like it though, mainly, I think, because I've learnt so much stuff because of it...I love the stuff going on in space/universe, always have & this thing has in bizarre fashion opened up a new way of learning about it.....also, because it's so easy to fall into the trap of taking the p1ss out of the flerfers, I've gained some control over what I say to folk...mind you....Bladesmad will no doubt test that out.

Quote Originally Posted by bulmer1889 View Post
    Bet he sh_ts himself when he gets near the edge of one of his maps

If only ONE flerfer could come up with a map that works....oh dear.

I read somewhere that the flat earth society has members all around the globe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast