+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1st Team Lineup

Based on the form of May, Rooney and Cosgrove last season and I'd even say Kenny Miller looks a better bet than them at the moment. We'll really be hoping May has turned a corner during the summer break - total shambles Cosgrove keeping him out of the team laterly

Quote Originally Posted by afc1903mad View Post
    Ok, in a few hours we'll know our potential fist competitive game line up
    Holy schimoly, are we “fisting” now, is that even legal now ?

Quote Originally Posted by D31 View Post
    Based on the form of May, Rooney and Cosgrove last season and I'd even say Kenny Miller looks a better bet than them at the moment. We'll really be hoping May has turned a corner during the summer break - total shambles Cosgrove keeping him out of the team laterly
    Cosgrove played very well in the run in I thought.
    Linked the midfield very well.

Quote Originally Posted by D31 View Post
    The 3 strikers we have;

Rooney - been poor for 18 months or so.
    May - a shadow of the player that was in Scotland previously.
    Cosgrove - did ok in a few games at the end of the season but doesn’t look like a player that will get 10 goals a season let alone 20.

Hence my Moult/Boyce shout.
    Whether they’re available &/or affordable is highly doubtful.

Just been reading about the first team training in Ireland.
    Wondering if young Ryan Harrington will cover for Logan’s suspension at the start of the year.

Bumped

Are we any closer to knowing out 1st pick starting 11?

We seem to have a battle between some players who are lacking confidence and needing games versus young/new guys who will be chomping at the bit to get game time.

Do we start with May up front who we have spent a fair bit of cash on? Everyone wants to see him succeed and he has certainly improved in the last 3 games or do we play the young lad who is getting fans excited and looks to be a real talent. Some folk might not like Wilson starting ahead of those 2 but lets be honest, that's exactly what he was brought in to do.

Granted it was only a pre-season friendly at cove but I thought Forrester was a stand out in the team. Perhaps it is an injury that is keeping him out but who knows. Admittedly I aint good with knowing players preferred positions etc but who starts as the number 10, him, Wright, someone else?

Quote Originally Posted by mondo_notion View Post
    Bumped

Are we any closer to knowing out 1st pick starting 11?

We seem to have a battle between some players who are lacking confidence and needing games versus young/new guys who will be chomping at the bit to get game time.

Do we start with May up front who we have spent a fair bit of cash on? Everyone wants to see him succeed and he has certainly improved in the last 3 games or do we play the young lad who is getting fans excited and looks to be a real talent. Some folk might not like Wilson starting ahead of those 2 but lets be honest, that's exactly what he was brought in to do.

Granted it was only a pre-season friendly at cove but I thought Forrester was a stand out in the team. Perhaps it is an injury that is keeping him out but who knows. Admittedly I aint good with knowing players preferred positions etc but who starts as the number 10, him, Wright, someone else?
    It's an interesting one as I don't think we actually have a definite best starting 11 unlike previous seasons. There's a few positions where there's maybe a couple of equal options, and a few players who can play multiple positions.

GK - Lewis
    RB - Logan (also Ball, Hoban)
    LB - Shinnie (also Considine, Hoban)
    CB - Devlin (also Hoban)
    CB - McKenna (also Considine)
    DM - Gleeson (also Ball, Hoban, Campbell)
    DM - Ferguson (also Ball, Hoban, Campbell)
    AM - Wright (also Forrester, Ross)
    RM - McGinn (also Ross)
    LM - GMS (also Ross)
    CF - Wilson (also May, Anderson)

I'm unsure where Ferguson's best position is, but he's definitely not a no10 - more a box to box, all rounder. Ball has been very good and adds energy, pace and height in front of the back 4 which is valuable, but Gleeson provides a bit more ball retention which is useful too. I've chosen Wright in the no10 position because I think he could really do some damage against most teams in the league - through the middle he can go either way and has a good shot on him - he'll also be more involved so less likely to drift out of games as he sometimes does on the wing. Wilson up front mainly because of his pedigree - you could argue that May is playing slightly better than he was, or that Anderson is the man with confidence and form. The style of play has to be akin to what we saw against St Mirren - for me, the key man in that was Wright. He needs the opportunity to play the 10 role in a few games to see if he can add consistency - if he can he will score and create plenty goals.

I think we're suffering from an old McInnes problem.

He likes to buy the same type of player over and over again.

I'm not having a go at him because of the budget he has to work within or even personal preferences about one player v another.

Perhaps it's because he likes a player to be versatile but basically our team could be

Keeper
    9 out of a choice of 22
    A forward either played out of position or hopelessly isolated

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    I think we're suffering from an old McInnes problem.

He likes to buy the same type of player over and over again.

I'm not having a go at him because of the budget he has to work within or even personal preferences about one player v another.

Perhaps it's because he likes a player to be versatile but basically our team could be

Keeper
    9 out of a choice of 22
    A forward either played out of position or hopelessly isolated
    Sometimes when I see his team choices I think you could certainly be correct.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12