+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best ever World Cup Finals/Best Team?

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    That Maradonna wonder goal as a follow up to his "Hand of God" abomination. I said at the time, and still maintain today, he wouldn't have scored that against 99% of other teams as he would have been scythed down before he got anywhere near the penalty area.
    But didn't he score a similar 1 against Belgium?
    And he was inspirational against Germany.
    But after what happened in 1982 against Brazil where got the red card, a Final against Brazil would have been better.
    Could he keep his cool or would Brazil get heated up?
    Sadly we never will know

Yes he did do another stunning individual goal against Belgium in what looked like an easy Semi final win. And I think he got most of their important goals in the earlier matches as well, he really did carry them all the way to winning it in '86 because he was that good.
    I think his solo goal against us was an own goal prod in by Terry Butcher though, but he wouldn't want to own up to that.
    And speaking of somebody scything him down long before he got near to our area, Terry Fenwick was the worst for just letting him run by without a whimper.

Another great WC team surely has to be Northern Ireland 1982. That Armstrong goal is akin to a hard on!

Croatia 1998 was superb. They smashed Germany. Maybe this year's team might not only emulate them but better it?

I don't know about a 'great' tournament team but Norn Iron certainly did exceed expectations in '82, and they took the proverbial big stick to the over rated hosts Spain.
    Holland were the team of the 70s weren't they, and its a shame that they didn't win either or both of those WC Finals.

Indeed Acido. But maybe we gotta lay the blame at Cruyff"s feet for 1978. He refused to go. Maybe with him they could have won it.
    In 1974 they were good. Like you, I was 4 to your 3. But I think looking at videos of that tourney, they only had 1 blemish - the keeper Jongbloed. He was useless
    In 2010, I think they could have also won it.
    Actually I think our stupid Howard Webb should have sent off that Dutch player early on. (forget his name, a City player at the time).
    At 0-0 and a man down, I think the Dutch without any weight of expectation they might actually have played better. Go and nick a goal and let Spain try and overcome. Instead with 11, they were so cagey and played into Spain"s hands by being defensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis View Post
    Actually I think our stupid Howard Webb should have sent off that Dutch player early on. (forget his name, a City player at the time).
    Nigel de Jong, Rom.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Nigel de Jong, Rom.

Ah yes. Red card offence clearly. I'm positive had he done it - sent de Jong off, I would have won or drawn my bets. I took the Dutch to win and also a higher scoring match. Usually a bit more on the latter.
    Case in point Euro 2012 Final. I took Italy and the goals too. Italy played almost the entire 2nd half with 10 men and Spain won handily.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    100% Pele...and an infinitely better role model too. Maradona was a fine footballer no doubt about that...but he was also a cheat and very flawed in other ways too. The term ‘great man’ is often overused but in Pele’s case it was/is actually true.
    Have to agree with you, remember Pele was starring in a brilliant team when he was only 17 years old in 1958.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    Have to agree with you, remember Pele was starring in a brilliant team when he was only 17 years old in 1958.
    Good point pie.
    I remember in 1966 people saying that ‘Brazil are injured’. As a twelve year old I didn’t really understand at first but what they meant was Pele’s injury was the end for Brazil. They were right and for a still relatively young player to have that sort of impact on a side such as Brazil is a measure of how influential he was.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)