+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: OT Beer

OT Beer

So i hear that pubs are running out of beer because the brewers cannot get hold of enough carbon dioxide and so are having to cut back production. This raises two questions in my mind.

1) why, as we are being told that global warming is the result of too much carbon being released into the atmosphere in the form of CO2, can there be a shortage of CO2. It really is one of those things that you can pluck out of mid air isn't it??

2) Why do brewers need to acquire CO2 in beer production. As a regular home brewer of the past, I never had to buy CO2. The natural fermentation process created the gas in the beer (albeit a rather flat beer which would not appeal to today's generation of gassy lager drinkers). In fact a lot of the surplus gas created during fermentation used to bubble off, but still produced a reasonably fizzy beverage. I am sure the mass market brewers could recycle the equivalent of that "bubble off" to increase gassification if they needed to.

But what do I as a mere mortal know?

Listen, if it nees CO2 to pump it then it is either lager or cider. Real Beer doesn't need CO2.

It's because of Brexit, the price will go up 50% by Christmas!

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)