+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Light years away (partially off topic)

Apparently if we were to view Aurora this evening the light we would see actually left Aurora at the time the pyramids were being built here on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by silentjourneyhome View Post
    Apparently if we were to view Aurora this evening the light we would see actually left Aurora at the time the pyramids were being built here on earth.

There is also the star Betelguese

Many believe it no longer exists having already gone Hypernova.

But we can still see it in the sky because the light and the shock wave hasn't reached us yet.

If it is true then planet earth is not going to be a pleasant place to be at some point between now and the next 600 and odd years

Ah my favourite subject. Space and time and the continuum in general, do you know they say you can bend space and make time standstill?

I壇 be well up for this but I知 currently in sunny Whitby in the Magpies trying to work out how I知 going to finish all mi dinner. I値l be back... as a famous time traveller once said

Quote Originally Posted by CHIPBUTTYBLADE View Post
    She痴 lost a load of weight of late Chippy. Looking good

Quote Originally Posted by GrayBlade View Post
    Ah my favourite subject. Space and time and the continuum in general, do you know they say you can bend space and make time standstill?

I壇 be well up for this but I知 currently in sunny Whitby in the Magpies trying to work out how I知 going to finish all mi dinner. I値l be back... as a famous time traveller once said

That's what a black hole does......doesn't it ?

In answer to the original post.

If I was able to go somewhere more than 55 light years away, would I be able to see anything at all, because technically I wouldn't exist

Sorry just been told it’s Orion not Aurora - what’s a few light years between friends?

Quote Originally Posted by mahatmafoot View Post
    FFS what's this all about?
    😂 get involved

Heard a debate on the radio last weekend. They were saying that if you lived on a planet 130 light years away and you were looking today at the earth through a very powerful telescope, would you be able to see the Victorians going about their business? You might even see Queen Victoria?

Based upon this theory the possibilities are endless. Find a planet 157 light years away and you could watch the American Civil War but is the theory correct.

To find out I contacted someone in the Sheffield Astronomical Society and they posted the query on their website (btw for anyone interested in astronomy their fortnightly meetings/lectures are excellent and are only 」3 for members to attend).

Their expert replied that if you had a telescope powerful enough then you would see today whatever was happening on earth at a time equivalent to the distance in light years away that you were observing from.

So anyone observing the earth from a planet just over 93 light years away would be able to see Sheffield United playing in the F A Cup Final. The only problem is that it would take another 93 light years for them to tell us that we had won!

How many light years away would you like to be and what would you like to observe?
    How is this partially off topic? lol!

Quote Originally Posted by JJBlade View Post
    In answer to the original post.

If I was able to go somewhere more than 55 light years away, would I be able to see anything at all, because technically I wouldn't exist
    You'd be able to see a time before you existed because you would still exist in this dimension. On the other hand, you'll have to be pedaling pretty fast to get 55 Light Year's away. Maybe you should have set off already. Don't forget some snap...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast