+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Light years away (partially off topic)

Quote Originally Posted by FatherKnowsBest View Post
    You'd be able to see a time before you existed because you would still exist in this dimension. On the other hand, you'll have to be pedaling pretty fast to get 55 Light Year's away. Maybe you should have set off already. Don't forget some snap...
    Borrow Aya's sat nav as well but add another 40 light years to navigate there....

You'd be able to see a time before you existed because you would still exist in this dimension. On the other hand, you'll have to be pedaling pretty fast to get 55 Light Year's away. Maybe you should have set off already. Don't forget some snap...

This is like an episode of Red Dwarf

Quote Originally Posted by JJBlade View Post
    Smeggin is

Quote Originally Posted by JJBlade View Post
    The shape of Krytens head was modeled on Claude Davis. FACT..!

...or was it the other way round...

The shape of Krytens head was modeled on Claude Davis. FACT..!

...or was it the other way round...

Could be the other way around, for example, in a parallel universe there could be a Claude Davis who's head is modelled on Kryten

If you believe in string theory, which at least seems plausible, then there are an infinite number of Claude Davis's in an infinite number of universes. In none of them can he head a ball straight...

Quote Originally Posted by GrayBlade View Post
    Ah my favourite subject. Space and time and the continuum in general, do you know they say you can bend space and make time standstill?

I’d be well up for this but I’m currently in sunny Whitby in the Magpies trying to work out how I’m going to finish all mi dinner. I’ll be back... as a famous time traveller once said
    Been asking about this Gray and it has now gone on the Facebook page of the SAS (as in astronomy, not embassy’s). One of their experts has replied that you could indeed do both (bend space and make time stand still) on the Schwarzschild radius of a black hole. In other areas you could also be somewhat toward this concept.

Quote Originally Posted by silentjourneyhome View Post
    Been asking about this Gray and it has now gone on the Facebook page of the SAS (as in astronomy, not embassy’s). One of their experts has replied that you could indeed do both (bend space and make time stand still) on the Schwarzschild radius of a black hole. In other areas you could also be somewhat toward this concept.
    I think it was the late great Stephen Hawkins who raised interest in this concept Silent, although (and Chippy will probably clarify this), I think captain James T Kirk (well Gene Roddenberry) touched on the subject in the second series of Star Trek.

JJ also mentioned the concept of black holes bending time, but until we actually know what a black hole actually is and does (and we don’t), I’ll reserve judgement and stick the theory that sometime in the future, a spaceship will be able to generate its own space time continuum field, and warp its way across the universe and beyond. I just wish I’d would be around to see it. A bit like a United winning the Premier League

Gravitational waves is what its all about.

http://discovermagazine.com/bonus/gravity

Quote Originally Posted by GrayBlade View Post
    I think it was the late great Stephen Hawkins who raised interest in this concept Silent, although (and Chippy will probably clarify this), I think captain James T Kirk (well Gene Roddenberry) touched on the subject in the second series of Star Trek.

JJ also mentioned the concept of black holes bending time, but until we actually know what a black hole actually is and does (and we don’t), I’ll reserve judgement and stick the theory that sometime in the future, a spaceship will be able to generate its own space time continuum field, and warp its way across the universe and beyond. I just wish I’d would be around to see it. A bit like a United winning the Premier League
    OK...so that brings us on to Aliens & do they exist....followed by, have they ever been here.

So for me yes, they do exist, out there somewhere, whether intelligent or basic life forms BUT....NO, to them ever having been to Earth, I don't believe any UFO is extraterrestrial, the reason I don't think they have visited us is Einstein, his theories say nothing can travel faster than light, which to me rules out any viable trip by any Alien.

Alpha Centauri consists of three stars about 4 point something light years away...after that, the closest planet which some believe may be habitable is around 13 light years away...a fair old trip just to say hi or slaughter a few cows.

I suppose we could get into wormholes as being a short cut but so far none big enough have been discovered out in space....these subjects are endlessly fascinating........a bit like Sheffield Wednesday really.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast