+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Light years away (partially off topic)

Quote Originally Posted by CHIPBUTTYBLADE View Post
    Gravitational waves is what its all about.

http://discovermagazine.com/bonus/gravity
    That's just Tango's belly bouncing.....

What I want to know is what existed before our universe existed and before that...

Quote Originally Posted by aussieowl View Post
    I suppose we could get into wormholes as being a short cut but so far none big enough have been discovered out in space....these subjects are endlessly fascinating........a bit like Sheffield Wednesday really.
    Theres a wormhole at the corner of John Street and Bramall Lane. Its where your lot appear out of every Derby day, from some dimension in the past when you were a big club...

Don't forget the mystery of the Schrodingers Pig Paradox, where a wendy fan in any given circumstance will increase actual attendance figures, as told to him by his grandad, thus being both massive and tinpot at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by JJBlade View Post
    There is also the star Betelguese

Many believe it no longer exists having already gone Hypernova.

But we can still see it in the sky because the light and the shock wave hasn't reached us yet.

If it is true then planet earth is not going to be a pleasant place to be at some point between now and the next 600 and odd years
    It's far enough away at 650 light years for any supernova activity not to affect us. It'd have to be more like 50 light years away to worry us.

Also someone mentioned the infinite universes theorem. What intrigues me is the idea of infinity not necessarily containing every variation. For instance, there could be an infinite number of universes all of which are exactly the same as this one. Infinite number is not equal to infinite variation, which is the flaw when people trot out the idea of everything in the universe being encoded in pi (or any other irrational number). It could be that pi eventually resolves itself to an infinitely repeating number of 3s, for instance.

This kind of stuff blows my mind.
    Last edited by Carpe_diem; 22-06-2018 at 09:36 AM.

OK...so that brings us on to Aliens & do they exist....followed by, have they ever been here.

So for me yes, they do exist, out there somewhere, whether intelligent or basic life forms BUT....NO, to them ever having been to Earth, I don't believe any UFO is extraterrestrial, the reason I don't think they have visited us is Einstein, his theories say nothing can travel faster than light, which to me rules out any viable trip by any Alien.

Alpha Centauri consists of three stars about 4 point something light years away...after that, the closest planet which some believe may be habitable is around 13 light years away...a fair old trip just to say hi or slaughter a few cows.

I suppose we could get into wormholes as being a short cut but so far none big enough have been discovered out in space....these subjects are endlessly fascinating........a bit like Sheffield Wednesday really.
    Yes Wednesday is fascinating Aussie, I’ll give you that, in the same way Donald Trump is.

The problem with looking towards wormholes and black holes to achieve the objective of interstellar travels is that we don’t know for sure if they exist in the form we want them to. All we know for now is that in some areas of space the gravitational pull is so strong that even light can’t escape, and modern science makes the assumption that it a collapsed star that’s causes it.

I think science will have a Eureka moments in space travel in the next hundred years or two. Once we’ve got away from burning solid fuel to propel spacecraft, they’ll be a several ‘why didn’t I think of that?’ discoveries. What seems beyond belief now will become simple science. Remember how we laughed at Captain Kirk’s phasor and the Doc’s iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by diode_blade View Post
    That's just Tango's belly bouncing.....

What I want to know is what existed before our universe existed and before that...

An interesting theory:
    Assuming that the big bang theory is correct, "a cataclysmic explosion from a singularity"
    And assuming that the massive amounts of energy dragged into a super massive black hole is condensed into a singularity
    We could have many universes created through the other side of many super massive black holes

However, none of this explains how Tango became such a fat c@nt, that will remain a mystery to science forever
    Last edited by JJBlade; 22-06-2018 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpe_diem View Post
    It's far enough away at 650 light years for any supernova activity not to affect us. It'd have to be more like 50 light years away to worry us.

Also someone mentioned the infinite universes theorem. What intrigues me is the idea of infinity not necessarily containing every variation. For instance, there could be an infinite number of universes all of which are exactly the same as this one. Infinite number is not equal to infinite variation, which is the flaw when people trot out the idea of everything in the universe being encoded in pi (or any other irrational number). It could be that pi eventually resolves itself to an infinitely repeating number of 3s, for instance.

This kind of stuff blows my mind.

Yeah, it probably is just about far enough away
    However, considering the fact that our own Sun can shut down half of the planet by merely "Burping" it's not beyond the realms of possibility that a star 1,000 x the size of our Sun and 10 x the mass completely obliterating itself might give us a bit of a jolt.
    Last edited by JJBlade; 22-06-2018 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FatherKnowsBest View Post
    Theres a wormhole at the corner of John Street and Bramall Lane. Its where your lot appear out of every Derby day, from some dimension in the past when you were a big club...
    An extra dimension?....or string theory?, I like it, I surmise that in all other dimensions except this one & there could be hundreds of them...Wednesday are indeed MASSIVE, so massive in fact that light itself bends as it passes S6....meanwhile in this dimension, well....I love em anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Holden_C View Post
    Don't forget the mystery of the Schrodingers Pig Paradox, where a wendy fan in any given circumstance will increase actual attendance figures, as told to him by his grandad, thus being both massive and tinpot at the same time.
    Everything is relative to the observer H....Einstein was an Owl, he had 7 identical blue & white striped shirts in his wardrobe, wore one everyday, his unpublished theory was that the Blue spectrum was always ahead of the Red spectrum, he was calling it the Toppler effect, where Blue always comes out on top.

Everything is relative to the observer H....Einstein was an Owl, he had 7 identical blue & white striped shirts in his wardrobe, wore one everyday, his unpublished theory was that the Blue spectrum was always ahead of the Red spectrum, he was calling it the Toppler effect, where Blue always comes out on top.

How about the JJ effect...…….The Blue Spectrum has an arrogant superiority complex and think it's better than the red spectrum
    Until the red spectrum turns up and kicks it f@cking head in

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast