+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: O'Connor

Quote Originally Posted by karl wheatly View Post
    I'm very disappointed to see him go!

After Christmas our promotion campaign was derailed by the collapse of our midfield when Yates left. What combination of existing midfield players is going to put right that obvious failing?

My best guess is Hewitt and / or Noble, Kellett - but i'm not convinced. As for the kids Crawford and Patching, your guess is as good as mine. Who knows, maybe one of them will have the same impact as the 'unknown kid' Yates did. Somehow the chances of that happening in the rough and tumble of League seems unlikely.

What's the point of spending big bucks on better quality forwards if they don't have quality service from midfield? Hoofball just isn't going to cut it with Dennis and Hemmings.
    Same thing..........you know we are able to sign a player to replace him, right?

Quote Originally Posted by iamITK View Post
    Same thing..........you know we are able to sign a player to replace him, right?
    All the noises on Twitter from AH is that we are not looking for any more central midfielders.
    I am disappointed he has gone, his experience in what is a young squad would have been invaluable.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    All the noises on Twitter from AH is that we are not looking for any more central midfielders.
    I am disappointed he has gone, his experience in what is a young squad would have been invaluable.
    Agreed we need an experienced midfielder now, but did you expect AH to come out and say "yep we can replace him", whilst we were trying to get him to sign still? Some folk read far too much into what he says on there at times.

Quote Originally Posted by nay123 View Post
    Could be a massive loss because notts do not have anyone as good in that squad to be a play maker.
    He wasn't that good - IMO

Quote Originally Posted by nay123 View Post
    Could be a massive loss because notts do not have anyone as good in that squad to be a play maker.
    Someone on here stated that Noble just makes aimless passes from midfield - perhaps his passes are intended for our forwards to run into spaces to collect them but none of them were clever enough to do so. Perhaps next season with intelligent forwards, Noble might be seen as a great 'playmaker'. Who knows!!

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    Someone on here stated that Noble just makes aimless passes from midfield - perhaps his passes are intended for our forwards to run into spaces to collect them but none of them were clever enough to do so. Perhaps next season with intelligent forwards, Noble might be seen as a great 'playmaker'. Who knows!!
    Who knows! What I do know is that I personally was not happy with a fairly large slice of the wage bill being committed to an injury prone crock. Noble and AH have made the correct decision with Oconnor. If he gets another bad injury which is more likely than the average player and he's on a 2-3 year deal that is very very bad business for Notts. Not worth the risk. Sooner a youngster in the starting line up than an overpaid crock on the side lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    There's some bull-at-the-gate opinions on here. We don't know the full details of the contracts but as I read it he wanted to stay here but also wanted the assurance of a longer that 1year contract. Lincoln, near his home, appear to have offered him the security of a 3year contract and that has to be attractive to anyone at his stage in his career and with I believe family too.

The dalliance surely was in the hope that Notts and he could see eye to eye as well as any holidaying.

Whether his leaving will turn out to be a good or bad thing we'll never know. He wasn't there in the first half of the season when we were at our best but then Yates was.

But I can't help feel that slagging him off is unfair and unreasonable and I wish him well and would have like to have seen how he could perform once fit and in the new setup, but also he is not an irreplaceable loss.
    He has a 1yr contract with the option of another yr

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    Or perhaps he is not good enough, let's see what he does this season.

From the BBC Sport, Lincoln, website thingy.

Lincoln City have signed midfielder Michael O'Connor on an initial one-year deal after he rejected a new contract at fellow League Two side Notts County.

O'Connor's contract includes the option of an extension after next season.

Quote Originally Posted by iamITK View Post
    I wonder when the transfer window opens. Just imagine if we were able to sign someone to replace him........
    Hardy has said that there is enough midfielders in the squad already so it looks like notts are going with what they have in that department.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast