+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Too many people think Sweden will be a walkover

Too many people think Sweden will be a walkover

So many people I talk to who have an interest in the World Cup are already talking about whether Russia or Croatia would be the better opponent in the semis. How deluded, are they?
    Just to give a reality check: the Swedes to a man are delighted that they are playing England in the semis, as they regard them out of the 7 quarter-finalists as the most beatable team.
    As a nation we are so bipolar: either we're a waste of space or just one step from being world champions. As Southgate has inferred: we are neither of these. Furthermore, we're a long way from winning the World Cup. We need to be very lucky three times yet.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    As Southgate has inferred: we are neither of these.
    Don't you mean implied, Sid?

Of course, anyone who remembers Swedes 2 Turnips 1 will not underestimate Sweden.

So many people I talk to who have an interest in the World Cup are already talking about whether Russia or Croatia would be the better opponent in the semis. How deluded, are they?
    Just to give a reality check: the Swedes to a man are delighted that they are playing England in the semis, as they regard them out of the 7 quarter-finalists as the most beatable team.
    As a nation we are so bipolar: either we're a waste of space or just one step from being world champions. As Southgate has inferred: we are neither of these. Furthermore, we're a long way from winning the World Cup. We need to be very lucky three times yet.
    Not sure that's even true Sid, we've certainly not beaten them many times over our last half dozen meetings. What I and most peeps truly think, is that IF we play well, we stand a decent chance of progressing further

It really doesn't matter what people think as it's not going to affect the outcome. What matters is how we approach the match and perform.

So Sidderly, what is your prediction of today's score?

I see your winners Brazil exited last night as well.

In amongst all the positivity going around at the moment it's no surprise Sidney is still trying his hardest to be negative about something.

Imagine how surprised I was seeing his username underneath underneath this thread title...

... don't be too hard on the old codger. His role as Snobhead 2 means he has to keep trying to be better at something - his political topics usually end in disappointment and I'm a little surprised he has'nt commented on the economic implications that the WC has had on English morale. But hey ...

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackHorse View Post
    ... don't be too hard on the old codger. His role as Snobhead 2 means he has to keep trying to be better at something - his political topics usually end in disappointment and I'm a little surprised he has'nt commented on the economic implications that the WC has had on English morale. But hey ...
    I won't comment on that, Mr Horse, but I couldn't resist pointing out that you clearly have no understanding of how punctuation works. Your apostrophe is a catastrophe.

By no means do I consider the Swedes to be walkovers, but I'd rather face them than the teams that just got beat out on the other side of the map (Brazil or Uruguay). And it's rather uncontroversial that England got lucky in having a more manageable path to the cup having come second in the group stage.

I must confess that I like all of the teams that remain and will be pleased to see any of them lift the cup at the end... France least of all because they've already won it in fairly recent history. Next to England I think it would be outstanding to see such small countries like Croatia or Beligium win. Even for Russia to win would be outstanding. Perhaps they've got a hefty supply of Nogochuck that they can slip into their opposition's tea at half time?

Surely, it's now the European Championship?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast