+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Should we have let him go

Should we have let him go

Jumeau top scorer in under 18s is off to the US. A nice story on the club website about what we do for youngsters and I wish him well. Did we need to let go I wonder?
    https://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/...ads-his-wings/

Good luck to him. He was decent on the times I have seen him play, however, having been told that he was not being retained he has certainly taken the opportunity offered to him to go to the USA.
    Reading the article he certainly seems to have a good, positive attitude which should serve him well.

Signed as a 13 year old, Scholar of the Year 16/17, then like the rest of them into the Gawthorpe Black Hole. In his case out the other end in the USA, good luck to him, but our dysfunctional youth development system continues to dysfunction.

I think we have heightened the bar and that is going to make it very difficult for any young player to make it with us in the EPL.

Love the lad's attitude though and I wish the best of luck to him in his future career.

Things are changing rapidly as far as the Youth set up is concerned and if you go to watch them you can actually see the difference in the standard at which they are playing now as opposed to previously.
    It all takes time and, because of the damage done to the set up with the guys who were put in place by Eddie Howe, it is taking longer because we were unable just to get rid of them because of contractual obligations.
    Once we were able to make changes SD appointed Michael Duff as youth team manager in 2016/17 and we have been making progress since then. Duff's advancement to look after the Under 23 team came rather sooner than anticipated by anyone, however, progress had again been made during last season and Danny Cadamrteri has also made good progress with the Under 18s.
    We have to be patient and also realise that it is difficult to progress players because of the level at which the first team is playing.
    Look at Chelsea and see how many players have progressed and yet they have won the Youth Cuo for many seasons.

We have a player playing for us who was at Chelsea from the age of 9 and has played for England at all levels from Under 16 to a full England cap, however, although he was at Chelsea for 13 years --5 of them as a professional ---he never kicked a ball in anguish for them ----Gentlemen ----I give you Jack Cork!

Of course it's a fair point that we are now playing at the highest level, and it's become even more difficult for them to even make the first team squad, never mind the first team itself.

But go down a level or two, how many of our lads, not being good enough for the PL, are having a good career at Championship, D1, or even D2 level, list them, it won't take you long.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Of course it's a fair point that we are now playing at the highest level, and it's become even more difficult for them to even make the first team squad, never mind the first team itself.

But go down a level or two, how many of our lads, not being good enough for the PL, are having a good career at Championship, D1, or even D2 level, list them, it won't take you long.
    I think those numbers will increase fairly soon because our youth programme is starting to produce results.

Cheeky Loftus is now in the England team but can't get a kick for Chelsea. As long as we are in the EPL I am pretty sure youngsters will not be hitting the first team squad anytime soon.

I seriously wonder whether the Terriers Chairman has it right, scrap the lot and just concentrate on the first team squad?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post

I seriously wonder whether the Terriers Chairman has it right, scrap the lot and just concentrate on the first team squad?
    Wouldn't bother me if we scrapped ours. In the last few years we've gone from an average Championship team to 7th in the PL, playing in Europe, and money coming out of our ears, and all with zero contribution from our YDS. God knows how much money and man hours have gone into it, and all for nothing, a complete waste of time and money.

It really is one of those issues I would love to debate with Baldwin and Dyche.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)