+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Signings imminent

Quote Originally Posted by welovebooth View Post
    would they want him involved in a relegation fight and potentially play in a team that will lose a lot more than they win.

I can't see it
    Again you don’t know we will be in a relegation fight and there’s no indication that will be the case at this point

Ben Godfrey is an ok player at best right now with a lot of potential for the future so for me a loan deal is not the best thing we could do for the team. What we should be doing is buying players that are the spine of the team and maybe making loans around that spine.

For me the spine of the team would consist of 1 goalkeeper 2 solid CH 1 holding midfielder 1 attacking midfielder and 1 striker. Thats 6 players who should be contracted to us and then use loans or our own young players around them.

Buying Ben Godfrey would be the ideal but if we cannot buy him we should move on and buy someone else.
    Last edited by BigLadonOS; 22-06-2018 at 10:06 PM.

would they want him involved in a relegation fight and potentially play in a team that will lose a lot more than they win.

I can't see it
    With respect, don't think this relevant. Swansea and West Brom could be regarded as having better chances of being promoted ahead of Norwich. If the lad is good enough for them, then he must be good enough for Norwich. If N are thinking of a season long loan then he cannot be seen as being a squad player. There's nothing on him or a possible loan on the main Norwich forum.
    Can't say I'm familiar with the lads record from last season, apart from the play-off games and Wembley. If he did well at Shrewsbury wouldn't Hurst be looking to take him to Ipswich?
    Personally, I would have preferred Holmes.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLadonOS View Post
    Ben Godfrey is an ok player at best right now with a lot of potential for the future so for me a loan deal is not the best thing we could do for the team. What we should be doing is buying players that are the spine of the team and maybe making loans around that spine.

For me the spine of the team would consist of 1 goalkeeper 2 solid CH 1 holding midfielder 1 attacking midfielder and 1 striker. Thats 6 players who should be contracted to us and then use loans or our own young players around them.

Buying Ben Godfrey would be the ideal but if we cannot buy him we should move on and buy someone else.
    We might well do so. We are only just starting to make our 5-6 signings.
    We've no chance of signing this type of player so it's a bit odd to start complaining at the quality of a signing like this.
    Last edited by flourbasher; 23-06-2018 at 07:06 AM.

anyway thought the deal was signed yet no news??

silly no indication we will be in a relegation fight at this point.

errr yes there is look at the squad
    what are we for the title 3-1 and 20-1 for relegation.

I have looked at our squad all season strong midfield shaky defence at times and a fix me up attack. However being as transfer window is still open and we have some money for going up. Until we see 7 old players coming out of retirement I’m not writing us off.
    As for odds, like I said before odds are based on what people bet on Sunderland was tipped as one of favourites to go up last year look at them now.

I’m not going to throw my Richie Towell in until the transfer window shuts, nor will I be making play off plans.

In warne we trust

Should be Welovetoboo

So according to your odds were more likely to win the title than be relegated.
    Interesting but totally wrong ☹

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    We might well do so. We are only just starting to make our 5-6 signings.
    We've no chance of signing this type of player so it's a bit odd to start complaining at the quality of a signing like this.
    Im not complaining at all I am just saying that for the good of the team we need to be signing players as our own not loan players that will form the spine of our team otherwise we will have to rebuild every year. Loan signings are great but not when you have to rip a team apart year on year.

The lad is a good prospect for the future and if he does well for us and returns to parent club we may well find ourselves playing against a player we coached and built up to be a better player! How does that help the club?

The spine of a team should ALWAYS be built with players who are contracted to the club IMHO ANYWAY.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLadonOS View Post
    Im not complaining at all I am just saying that for the good of the team we need to be signing players as our own not loan players that will form the spine of our team otherwise we will have to rebuild every year. Loan signings are great but not when you have to rip a team apart year on year.

The lad is a good prospect for the future and if he does well for us and returns to parent club we may well find ourselves playing against a player we coached and built up to be a better player! How does that help the club?

The spine of a team should ALWAYS be built with players who are contracted to the club IMHO ANYWAY.

I agree with what you are saying however I think we would be foolish to pass up the opportuniy to sign certain loan players that would improve our team, regardless of the position they play in.

If we were to go out there now and try and find a permenent solution to the position that Godfrey plays in and we don't find anybody good enough/within budget then Godfrey may well have moved onto another club by the time we go back in. Sign him now in my opinion and then if an opportunity comes up to sign somebody else permenant then do it. Competition for places is healthy.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast