+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cover at full back

Cover at full back

I think we desperately need cover in both full back positions. Very happy with Tootle and Jones but Tootle seems to miss chunks of the season with illness and Jones with injury. Added to that is the fact that Jones apparently can’t play 2 games in a week. Look how many games Hunt and Dickinson were required to play last season. I’ve read people saying that Hewitt can cover right back and Kellett left back. That would be extremely risky; do we really want our first choice midfielder missing from midfield for say a quarter of our league games and Kellett stuck at left back for a third of the season, when the whispers are that he’s going to be our creative ‘10’ or play wide left? I don’t think the cover of currently in the squad - a couple of young lads on loan would probably be the best option. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by HUCKNALLPIE View Post
    I think we desperately need cover in both full back positions. Very happy with Tootle and Jones but Tootle seems to miss chunks of the season with illness and Jones with injury. Added to that is the fact that Jones apparently can’t play 2 games in a week. Look how many games Hunt and Dickinson were required to play last season. I’ve read people saying that Hewitt can cover right back and Kellett left back. That would be extremely risky; do we really want our first choice midfielder missing from midfield for say a quarter of our league games and Kellett stuck at left back for a third of the season, when the whispers are that he’s going to be our creative ‘10’ or play wide left? I don’t think the cover of currently in the squad - a couple of young lads on loan would probably be the best option. Thoughts?
    Jones has had a niggling,not so serious injury since about last December, its been on & off even into the final games, hopefully it will be cleared up by August, he is a very good player so lets hope all is ok.
    Hoping the same for toots as well, more game time & interaction= he is getting better.

My thoughts are that there won't be any more defenders coming in. The management have obviously decided to spend their budget on a smaller number of quality players. Apart from Hewitt and Kellett, there are CBs who could cover if necessary.

I think AH said we wouldn’t have a big squad this season. It’s not one of those 2 for every position squads. As has been mentioned we have players that can cover other positions, full backs look covered to me. Duffy started as a RB, Hewitt too, then Kellett who can play left back.
    KN might also have his eye on the youth team.

I'm all for a small squad. But I can't help thinking we could do with do with a versatile (both r & l) full back in reserve. However, if the youth team or a young loannee can provide that then that would seem the right way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmithRules View Post
    I'm all for a small squad. But I can't help thinking we could do with do with a versatile (both r & l) full back in reserve. However, if the youth team or a young loannee can provide that then that would seem the right way to go.
    Yes. I'd like to see the other 2 remaining slots filled, before any of the remaining wage bill is spent on back-up full-backs.
    We need a striker/winger and a holding midfielder and as much quality here as possible without clogging up the squad with reserve defenders

What are the rules around loan signings this season? They seem to change it every year.

Am I right in thinking that after August we can't sign anyone except free agents or emergency loans until January?

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    I think AH said we wouldn’t have a big squad this season. It’s not one of those 2 for every position squads. As has been mentioned we have players that can cover other positions, full backs look covered to me. Duffy started as a RB, Hewitt too, then Kellett who can play left back.
    KN might also have his eye on the youth team.
    Duffy isn't quick enough to play full back.

Hawkridge could cover. especially for home games?
    Limited physically, but he can use the ball and sometimes showed he can tackle and defend.

Agree with those who wouldn't like to see Hewitt taken out of midfield, but that's always an option

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    Duffy isn't quick enough to play full back.
    Duffy up against a pacey winger would be worth the price of admission for a comedy show though