Maybe the best way would be to treat every head injury as a potential use of a sub, so any player laying down after a clash of heads will be substituted unless that player gets up and clearly shows he's fine.

This way it solves two problems.

1. It solves the head injury safety dilemma by simple replacement, permanent, not as a filler.

2. It ensures that any player thinking of feigning an injury of that nature, would gain nothing by it.

However, the subs stay the same in that only 3 per game allowed and no exceptions for head injury cases, which (like I said) would be a simple sub...so it's up to the managers to gamble on that.

You see, I just find it a bit of a sorry state if everything's going to be pulled up and changed where football is concerned because it's already been turned into a namby pamby sport where every touch of a player or ruffle of a hair style is deemed a serious incident....well, you know what I mean.

It won't be long before players will be wearing some kind of Petr Cech helmet and heading of the ball becomes taboo...not to mention players touching.

Subbuteo with live characters.