+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: England vs Panama

England vs Panama

What did we think of this game ?
    Thought we played half decent, they were raving about Lingarde but honestly, he just doesn't do it for me. I suppose the win is the most important thing but I am very uncertain about meeting up with the better teams. Hope I'm wrong and we blow them away
    Thought some of Panama's players were dirty, especially Torres (guy with the dreads) total mouthpiece, but it's on and upwards now.

I enjoyed the game, thought Lingaard did well - was smashed about the pitch but his goal was best one we scored. Wasn't impressed with Stirling, although he got better as game went on, would say he's low on confidence internationally. Thought our defence should of been better, a better side would of scored at least one of the chances we allowed Panama to get.

I thought Panama played as well as they could but they didn't have the quality, certainly tried more than Tunisia. I also thought they were dirty but the ref this time didn't ignore it and it cost them. Thought the ref was very good this time round, much better than that Colombian one.

Thought we looked good on set-pieces as well. I know it was only Panama but can only play who is in front of you.

We did really well today albeit it was only Panama.

Both of Kane's penalties were mint-proper strikes; if you have the balls (and the skill) to hit it properly, even if the 'keeper goes the right way he's not getting it.

Mind, I think our defence will struggle badly against better teams...and look who's coming up.

And Stirling's finishing is woeful-he misses far too many easy chances.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    We did really well today albeit it was only Panama.

Both of Kane's penalties were mint-proper strikes; if you have the balls (and the skill) to hit it properly, even if the 'keeper goes the right way he's not getting it.

Mind, I think our defence will struggle badly against better teams...and look who's coming up.

And Stirling's finishing is woeful-he misses far too many easy chances.
    Danish commentary translated:

C1: I can't believe Lingard didn't score a goal there, he's lucky that Stones was ready for it behind him.
    C2: It was Sterling who missed that chance.
    C1: Ahh, Sterling, so that's why he didn't score.

Sterling's a good player, but he's also very frustrating to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by HughieG View Post
    C1: Ahh, Sterling, so that's why he didn't score.

Mint.

They had clearly-and very cleverly-worked that free kick so it would land on Stirling's head right in front of goal, which it did...and he still fucked it up.

*shakes head

I am one of the few who thought England would do well in this competition. I stand by that. QF I reckon and with a bit of luck SF.

Today was good but the test will be Belgium. I see a draw - 1 each. Trippier has impressed so far and those were very good pre practised set pieces - specially Stones first goal crowding the area the ball went to then vacating for him to get in with a free header. I like the team better without Alli who needs an Eriksen type alongside him and I also like Maguire. Pickford has also impressed.

A clean sheet and a Sterling goal would have convinced me more though. I wouldn't want Columbia in the next round and I think they will beat Senegal. I am also hoping Japan beat a demoralised Poland to win the group and England get two players booked to finish 2nd and face them instead.

I wonder if Southgate would consider asking Pickford to take a yellow late in the game by wasting time in order to avoid Columbia? I think Belgium have one more than England as it stands and it could come down to that who wins the group.

I'm over the moon with the win against arguably the dirtiest side in the tournament.
    I still fancy England to go all the way to the final.
    Not because they're especially on fire at the moment but because I've seen very few teams that are too much better than us at this stage....and......and.......we haven't even started yet, I don't think.
    I think this team has a lot more to offer and I think the confidence will build after Belgium, for us to go for it.

I have this strange feeling that it's a Russia verses England final.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    I have this strange feeling that it's a Russia verses England final.
    Well that would make the politics "fun"

I think Russia will get found out against other teams, equally so might England though.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)