+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Out of retirement....

Out of retirement....

I was invited and given the chance to roll back the years in an 4-a-side at our local park yesterday afternoon. My Son, his pals, all early 20's, and me, 53.

Do you know how you think 'still got it?

Well I was in fkin agony this morning, my knees feel like they've come outta their sockets, thigh bones sticking outta me backside.

Until the next time......never again.

Ha Ha, know exactly what you're talking about, I was helping my son carry sheet after sheet of 5/8 drywall into his basement and I felt not too bad while I was doing it. I was laid up for two days after, couldn't move a muscle. I'm a big strapping guy but my days of graft are over !! I'm 69 now but still think I'm 29

Thanks CL.

Thankfully there was some beer on the go, but every time I stretched to get the ball, I didn't stretch anyway like I used to.

I played semi pro for Truro City, and representative for RAF GB, I play golf twice a week and do the gym twice a week too, but this morning, after an hours football, I couldn't put me socks on.

This sounds like All our yesterdays doesn't it ? I played centre half for South Shields boys under 16 team. My first game was against Sunderland boys and we won 4 -2, never forget it as it was one of those games where I couldn't put a foot wrong, played a blinder. I was more over the moon that it was the Mackems that we beat though, had a grin on my face the rest of the day. This was 1964.
    I have played golf every Sunday morning for the last 30 years although it's taking it's toll on me now, big f'ckin course man.

What's the name of the course. I'll have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanleymag View Post

Do you know how you think 'still got it?

Exactly that, Stan. Same with other things...my best fights are in my head then when it's all going down I wonder why i can't get my legs as high as i'd imagined.

I know, the brain writes cheques the body can't cash.

You know what you want to do with the ball but unfortunately age and physics steps in.

😁

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post

Exactly that, Stan. Same with other things...my best fights are in my head then when it's all going down I wonder why i can't get my legs as high as i'd imagined.
    Awful man Zip. Ball trickles towards you, then trickles past, meanwhile I'm standing there like Douglas Barder.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanleymag View Post
    What's the name of the course. I'll have a look.
    This is in Canada Stan.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannylad View Post
    This is in Canada Stan.
    I know.. I can have a look on Google though.

Mine's South Moor. It's on utube narrated by Ian Payne.

Was owned by the miners before the pits started closing, Now us members keep it going. Even the chairman does some.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)