+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PIG abatoir to close today

PIG abatoir to close today

In Scotland cos of a lack of CO2,Road surfaces meltin,Trains slowin darn(They dunt need excuses to not run on time) cos of problems wi rails. Oh dearie me how do other countries cope wi a bit of warm weather? UTCB
    Last edited by rodcurrie; 26-06-2018 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rodcurrie View Post
    In Scotland cos of a lack of CO2,Road surfaces meltin,Trains slowin darn(They dunt need excuses to not run on time) cos of problems wi rails. Oh dearie me how do other countries cope wi a bit of warm weather? UTCB
    I’m sure you will find a way to blame Margaret or Joe Root for all 3,ferk it let trains carry on running at normal speed,it’s not like the heat has any effect on the rails is it?

You might assume that when they are building railways they might allow for temperatures of say -15c to 45c as standard operating conditions in the UK, I mean, it shouldn't come as a surprise that we have sunny days now and again...

Where does he get these stories from?

Quote Originally Posted by Holden_C View Post
    Womens Weekly...out today!

Quote Originally Posted by FatherKnowsBest View Post
    You might assume that when they are building railways they might allow for temperatures of say -15c to 45c as standard operating conditions in the UK, I mean, it shouldn't come as a surprise that we have sunny days now and again...
    On that I totally agree,seems ridiculous that soon as any adverse weather hits us,hot or cold,our transport system can’t cope,in the meantime we have to slow trains down to make sure passengers and staff are kept safe,better safe than sorry,even though it’s very frustrating

Quote Originally Posted by Holden_C View Post
    Arthur Scargills blog?

Quote Originally Posted by BlockD View Post
    On that I totally agree,seems ridiculous that soon as any adverse weather hits us,hot or cold,our transport system can’t cope,in the meantime we have to slow trains down to make sure passengers and staff are kept safe,better safe than sorry,even though it’s very frustrating
    Makes you wonder how other nations manage it, like Scandinavian countries, or Russia, or Canada, and the northern USA. They have even wider swings of temperature than we do, and certainly encounter worse weather than we ever do. We invented the bloody railway, seems mad no-one appears familiar with the formula for thermal expansion of metals.

Quote Originally Posted by FatherKnowsBest View Post
    Makes you wonder how other nations manage it, like Scandinavian countries, or Russia, or Canada, and the northern USA. They have even wider swings of temperature than we do, and certainly encounter worse weather than we ever do. We invented the bloody railway, seems mad no-one appears familiar with the formula for thermal expansion of metals.
    To be fair, they have snowfall that makes it worthwhile to plan for. We generally don't have enough extreme weather to make it commercially viable to prepare for. It would cost far more than it would save for the few days of the year when we have snowdrifts or we're hotter than Athens.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpe_diem View Post
    To be fair, they have snowfall that makes it worthwhile to plan for. We generally don't have enough extreme weather to make it commercially viable to prepare for. It would cost far more than it would save for the few days of the year when we have snowdrifts or we're hotter than Athens.
    I get that if we were talking buying fleets of snowploughs, but it would seem silly to build a railway track that was only fit for use in 90% of typical weather conditions.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast