+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Your Favourite TV Comedies of Now and Yesteryear

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Mrs Brown? Mrs Brown????!!!! That programme alone is enough for me to revoke my licence. Humour about as subtle as a sledgehammer. Anyone who thinks this is funny has got serious wit problems.
    Nothing comes close to Monty Python in its vintage years except, perhaps, the boys from Royston Vasey - northern gem.
    Will give Detectorists a try, Swale, never even considered it but if you say so...
    I think you'll love Detectorists Sidders but I highly recommend starting from the very beginning. Enjoy! Mrs Brown's Boys is anathema to me too.

Must admit 'The Fast Show' stands out as my absolute favourite sketch show to date.

Another I used to love watching was Not the nine o’clock news.

Best laugh ever....South Korea v Krauts..

Quote Originally Posted by JoePass View Post
    Best laugh ever....South Korea v Krauts..
    A little like Merkel ......... Failing

Back to topic ...... For the first time in years I agree with Sidney.

Mrs Brown? Mrs Brown????!!!! That programme alone is enough for me to revoke my licence. Humour about as subtle as a sledgehammer. Anyone who thinks this is funny has got serious wit problems.
    Nothing comes close to Monty Python in its vintage years except, perhaps, the boys from Royston Vasey - northern gem.
    Will give Detectorists a try, Swale, never even considered it but if you say so...
    I agree, I had the misfortune of catching about 40 seconds of this at a friend's house. Not my barra I'm afraid. My mate's chavtastic sisters in Top Valley have it as family viewing - with kids under ten FFS.

My laugh out loud moments I can remember are Phoenix Nights (the Family Fun Day episode was the first I saw and had me hooked)

Surprised no one has mentioned My Name Is Earl - again laugh out loud comedy, along with the genius that is Modern Family.
    Must mention the Pink Panther films too, Peter Sellers at his best.

I'm a big fan of anything written by armando Iannucci. Alan Partridge, his own show, Veep and The thick of it. Brilliantly written. Really enjoyed his latest film, The death of Stalin. Great cast, performances, storyline. One of my favourite films. Real dark humour.

Quote Originally Posted by andy6025 View Post
    The clip wasn't exactly a barrel of laughs...?
    The whole programme isn’t a barrel of laughs and it’s not meant to be laugh out loud stuff, but it is very amusing and dry, gentle British humour at it’s best.

In no particular order
    Time gentlemen please
    Absolutely
    League of gentleman
    Blackbadder
    Get some in
    The Kumars

I hate....
    Mrs brown
    Little Britain
    Royal family

Have you tried watching Mrs Brown after a couple of bottles of red, Sid? I find Irish humour funny generally, though Father Ted would be my preference. I watched the very first Monty Python live in the late 60s (Scotsman wins Wimbledon - may have been a pilot) so I'm probably as familiar with it as you, and at its best it was very funny. At its worst it wasn't. On Family Guy, they once threatened Meg with having to watch all the unfunny bits of Monty Python. Family Guy is what I have found the most amusing over the years, and Seth MacFarlane is a genius.
    Last edited by Bohinen; 27-06-2018 at 08:32 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast