+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Your Favourite TV Comedies of Now and Yesteryear

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

O/T:- Your Favourite TV Comedies of Now and Yesteryear

I thought this was worth a thread of it's own after the few snippets within the Eng v Pan thread.

I love a good comedy programme and one that I found to be unique but briliant recently was 'Detectorists', Mackenzie Crook's three-series masterpiece about the metal detecting community in a small village in Suffolk.

Anyone else watched it? In my opinion one of the best written, best acted and cleverest pieces of TV of recent years. It's a gem. Worth starting from the beginning and giving a go.

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/detec...se-hold-close/

Oh and it even has a Notts link ...ish. Here's my favourite scene of the whole thing, it's a bit dark

Last edited by SwalePie; 27-06-2018 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    I thought this was worth a thread of it's own after the few snippets within the Eng v Pan thread.

I love a good comedy programme and one that I found to be unique but briliant recently was 'Detectorists', Mackenzie Crook's three-series masterpiece about the metal detecting community in a small village in Suffolk.

Anyone else watched it? In my opinion one of the best written, best acted and cleverest pieces of TV of recent years. It's a gem. Worth starting from the beginning and giving a go.

Oh and it even has a Notts link ...ish. Here's my favourite scene of the whole thing, it's a bit dark

The clip wasn't exactly a barrel of laughs...?

Must admit 'The Fast Show' stands out as my absolute favourite sketch show to date.

Quote Originally Posted by andy6025 View Post
    The clip wasn't exactly a barrel of laughs...?
    Lovely song but hardly a barrel of laughs unless you've got an even stranger sense of humour than me ?
    Nobody mentioned Bottom or The Young Ones yet? I don't normally do slapstick but violent slapstick is sometimes funny & TYO pisstake of University Challenge was brilliant, pwar pwar Daddies got a porche!

Quote Originally Posted by ancientpie View Post
    Lovely song but hardly a barrel of laughs unless you've got an even stranger sense of humour than me ?
    Nobody mentioned Bottom or The Young Ones yet? I don't normally do slapstick but violent slapstick is sometimes funny & TYO pisstake of University Challenge was brilliant, pwar pwar Daddies got a porche!
    The song is definitely not representative of the show and not meant to be funny. I only posted that because it demonstrated the amazing breadth of the show and had magpies in it . Detectorists goes from silliness to that and back again in an episode. Definitely not to be written off without watching a couple of episodes IMHO.

Back in the day, the Dick Emery Show got a huge audience. Didn't Harry Enfield say he was a major influence? Which brings me onto Paul Whitehouse, who I think has been funny in most things he's done. He's a bit miserable but under that depressive cloud there's always a laugh waiting to burst out. Least funny comedian ever ... Jim 'Nick, Nick' Davidson. And I say that as someone who has seen Bernard Manning.

Agreed re Young Ones and Bottom. Legendary! I’m always baffled why Philthy Rich and Catflap never gets a mention either. Still cracks me up 30 years on....🤣

Good shout for Green Wing above - think I’ll dig out my DVD box set later.

Other faves already listed,

Fawlty Towers
    Monty Python (watch the film ‘And now for something completely different’ for the funniest sketches)
    Blackadder
    The Comic Strip Presents (Bad News is a fave)
    Father Ted
    Fast Show
    Harry Enfield tv show
    The league of gentlemen
    Phoenix nights
    The Mighty boosh
    Anything with Vic and Bob in it
    Black Books

These days I struggle to find anything funny on TV, maybe because I’ve become one of those Grumpy Old Men (now that was funny!) Friday night dinner being an exception - neighbour Jim and his dog Wilson are hilarious!

Agree with most on here about Mrs Browns Boys though. Can’t for the life of me figure out why it’s so popular....

Off to check out Detectorists.....👍

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post

On the buses,with a very close joint second
    Love thy neighbour
    And Benny hill...

Only Fools
    Mrs Brown
    Faulty Towers

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast