+ Visit Doncaster Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New manager

Cool New manager

Not my first choice but I wish him well and back him let’s try and get the show on the road

New club slogan : "Yes we McCann"... ?

Not my first choice either. He looks like someone who is lost and wandered in off the street, unlike Ferguson and Dickov who were always smart and well dressed. Can't see he has had a long successful managerial career to spur us on. Obviously, we have to give him a chance to prove himself and hope he can make some good signings. Can't say I feel as excited as when Ferguson and Strachan arrived, but look where that got us.

To be said 10 times running at high speed : "It suffices to say it can be taken for granted that Grant McCann will not get granted a sufficient grant" (to make new signings)....

Without Premier loans and Championship signings we cannot realistically be pushing for promotion. My suspicion is that McCann was the cheapest manager we could find (with no promotion experience) and we will only have a largely unchanged team from last season (that could not get us into the top half). If the budget was a good one we would not keep reading about issues over how the board has found it more expensive than they expected back in league one.

I just wish the board would be honest enough to talk about just consolidating our position in league one, hopefully in the top half, rather than keep talking about winning promotion, which few fans realistically think we can achieve. It’s just the same as if Gareth Southgate talked of winning the World Cup and then everyone is disappointed when we only reach the quarter finals.

I’m sure every fan will be regularly tracking any new signings and judging whether or not they will really offer promotion potential. But one thing is for certain, the official Rovers site will have a fanfare for every new signing and the player will profess to do their best. The fans will judge.

I expect we will be in the lower half of the table at Christmas, but I would be more than happy to be proved wrong.

Not my first choice either. I'm not particularly impressed with his managerial pedigree. His only previous experience being Peterborough, where it seems his remit was to get them into the play-offs. They were 13th in the league when he took over, and 10th when he left almost 2 years later. So not much of a previous record to recommend him.
    Nevertheless, it seems he has convinced the board that he can get Rovers into the play-offs this season.
    I wish him well, and hope he achieves that objective.
    Now waiting to see if we get any worthwhile signings - preferably not non-league youngsters.

Scarjo, personally I would say "Yes Man" McCann.

I'm sure he told the board everything they wanted to hear to get the job rather than be on the dole.
    It takes more than that to compete in the top 10 this coming season.
    If they told him there would be no new signings at all he would still have taken the job, as he will have a year's salary under his belt before they sack him.
    How can he claim Rovers have a bigger budget than Peterborough, but at the same time he didn't get involved in the budget?
    Does that mean he is going to let Gavin Baldwin select and buy all the new players No manager can select players without knowing the budget available or he might as well ask for all premier league players?

I don't know any budget figures but in my heart I do not believe we will be given enough to compete with Barnsley, Burton Albion, Sunderland, Shrewsbury Town, S****horpe United, Charlton Athletic, Plymouth Argyle and Portsmouth for a top 6 slot. These clubs are already strengthening their squads and integrating their players now and want to be in the play-offs as much as us.

McCann has said:-

“The teams who get off to a good start tend to stay in and around it. Peterborough did that last year and they never really moved much from that top end of the table.
    “So the start’s important.

In McCann's own words then, it's good to know that if we are not in the top 10 after about 10 games or less then we will know that McCann has probably failed. It would be a good idea then to get several new signings in soon, as what we have now will no way get us into the top 10. And players from league one and two won't do it either. Having said that Plymouth and Portsmouth have already snapped up the best players from league one.

After all the time we have chased Jordan Houghton and he has held out from coming to Rovers, I see he has gone to league two side MK Dons. I can't help feel it is a lost opportunity for Rovers, but then maybe he should have signed sooner and would be in league one instead

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast