+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: England vs Belgium

England vs Belgium

Was going to ask for predictions etc but based on how qualifying has gone in other groups it appears the 'easier' path to the final is via 2nd place.

So quick survey, play to win or play to lose . . . personally I agree with Southgate and we should aim to win every game, I don't see anything in any of the other teams that we should be afraid of, this tournament is wide open now.

So:
    We should play to win.
    My prediction is a 0-0 and it will be settled on bookings.

I guess it depends on the line ups its rumoured Belguim will make 10 changes i'm not sure they will do that.

If it is strong teams from both i'll go for a 1-1.

We have to play to win its sets out the wrong mentality to do something different plus we'd look very stupid if someone like Japan beat us in the last 16 as on paper they look easier than Columbia for example.

I just want to see us attack and press like we have done in the first two games I have no issue if we lose as long as we give it our best shot.

That the result is immaterial reduces the tension and will either make this a feast of football or a crock of s h i t. I'm out tonight and not able to see the game but I don't expect to miss much. Main thing is to avoid injury, especially HK.

If Japan finish 2nd and Colombia top the other group, then I think there would be some incentive to finish top. I'm rooting for Japan in this tournament but I wouldn't give them much chance against either Belgium or England. Colombia on the other hand, along with their impressive support, could be a very tricky one. They only lost to Japan because they had somebody sent off in the first five minutes.

If Spain get knocked out then there's only Sweden left in the bottom half of the draw who have previously made it to the final (way back in 1958), plus England if that's the half they end up in.

Tonight is one of those few occasions where there is a positive either way... Win and momentum keeps building, lose, well its well documented how it presents a potentially easier route. HOWEVER, teams get to the last 16 and 8 because they generally have something about them... football is not written on paper, so rankings go out the window. I think it’s dangerous to ‘aim’ for 2nd place.
    We need to remember, we have beaten 2 teams that we were expected to beat. We have played some decent stuff but how many goals have we scored from open play? That is my one criticism so far.

Must go for a win doesn't matter who you play the eventual winner will have to play the best teams sooner or later anyway.
    I always think if you lose one how can you really call yourselves WORLD champions anyway.

We need to remember, we have beaten 2 teams that we were expected to beat. We have played some decent stuff but how many goals have we scored from open play? That is my one criticism so far.[/QUOTE]

England don't look defensively strong enough to try and play for a preferred result, as for scoring from open play, it is very difficult when your playing teams who have defenders using tactics more akin to those of Big Daddy or the Giant Haystacks when you get within 30 yards of goal.

From corners yes, open play, not really. Lingards goal the other day was the best move and finish we have put together.

I think tonight is pointless, Martinez has said their priority isn't to win and we're making eight changes. It'll either be good in that the players will be pushing to be in the starting eleven and play well or a load of tippy tappy nonsense with both teams fannying about.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    I think tonight is pointless, Martinez has said their priority isn't to win and we're making eight changes. It'll either be good in that the players will be pushing to be in the starting eleven and play well or a load of tippy tappy nonsense with both teams fannying about.
    I suspect the latter of your suggestions, none of the players will want to risk an injury.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast