+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Season Ticket Offer From Big Al

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I presume they knew that was a risk of the job when they signed up.

I opted for a career path that didn't expose my wife and kids to a worry like that.
    Quite respectful , I lost 2 really good mates .

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    Quite respectful , I lost 2 really good mates .
    I have a cousin who served in the navy during the Falklands war, and he lost his best mate in the conflict. He was already friendly with his mate's wife before the war, and a few years after it they ended up getting married, now have two kids and have been happy ever since. He doesn't find it easy to talk about the events he experienced back in 1982, but on one drunken family occasion a few years ago I discovered he is one of the few people who hates Thatcher more than I do. He was young when he signed up, but he now thinks those who do are mere pawns to be used as the whims of the politicians of the day see fit. He has complete and total respect for those who served alongside him, and you were possibly one of them. I don't mean to be disrespectful about the armed forces, I just see wars as a sad waste of young life whichever side you are on.

I have a cousin who served in the navy during the Falklands war, and he lost his best mate in the conflict. He was already friendly with his mate's wife before the war, and a few years after it they ended up getting married, now have two kids and have been happy ever since. He doesn't find it easy to talk about the events he experienced back in 1982, but on one drunken family occasion a few years ago I discovered he is one of the few people who hates Thatcher more than I do. He was young when he signed up, but he now thinks those who do are mere pawns to be used as the whims of the politicians of the day see fit. He has complete and total respect for those who served alongside him, and you were possibly one of them. I don't mean to be disrespectful about the armed forces, I just see wars as a sad waste of young life whichever side you are on.
    War is sad Elite .

A decent post Elite ....followed by another decent post from Navy....anyone who puts their life on the line for their country deserves the utmost respect, despite the politician putting them in that position.

Now if only the West can stop bombing foreign countries to enact regime change?

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    A decent post Elite ....followed by another decent post from Navy....anyone who puts their life on the line for their country deserves the utmost respect, despite the politician putting them in that position.

Now if only the West can stop bombing foreign countries to enact regime change?
    Without wanting to seem argumentative (it's Tarquin who said it this time but it's something you hear quite often) or offensive to Navy pie (whose non aligned loose-cannonry I enjoy on here) I don't agree with the idea that non-conscripted service personnel deserve the utmost respect.

I take people as I find them regardless of job / colour / religion but if I was going to respect people based on career choice I'd be more likely to respect a nurse.

Most of the people I know who joined the armed forces did so because they liked the lifestyle, needed to get away from where they were living, or realised it was their best chance of earning a decent salary without any qualifications, rather than a romantic patriotic notion of serving their country.

My opinion is that the people in the armed forces are a mix of good, bad and average, as with any other walk of life, and should be respected accordingly.

You got a season ticket for £50??? You should be kissing Big Al's arse.
    I think ticket pricing at Notts, especially for kids is great , I would willingly ( though I would have little choice ) pay more for my lad. Nothing makes me prouder to see him follow in his dads and grandads though ( would rather he didn't follow us into the Navy ) . Waterboarding does work . My wife thought it was cruel but it had to be done, one Forest fan in our family is one to many.

ps. I think it was Accy last season , £15 for kids! Talk about Wham.

pps . Who's ever done what I just did ...........came in and turned the light on ……….. then realised yer still wearing sunglasses ? Well, no footie today.
    Last edited by navypie; 29-06-2018 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    I think ticket pricing at Notts, especially for kids is great , I would willingly ( though I would have little choice ) pay more for my lad. Nothing makes me prouder to see him follow in his dads and grandads though ( would rather he didn't follow us into the Navy ) . Waterboarding does work . My wife thought it was cruel but it had to be done, one Forest fan in our family is one to many.

ps. I think it was Accy last season , £15 for kids! Talk about Wham.

pps . Who's ever done what I just did ...........came in and turned the light on ……….. then realised yer still wearing sunglasses ? Well, no footie today.
    oops, missed the footsteps bit!

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Without wanting to seem argumentative (it's Tarquin who said it this time but it's something you hear quite often) or offensive to Navy pie (whose non aligned loose-cannonry I enjoy on here) I don't agree with the idea that non-conscripted service personnel deserve the utmost respect.

I take people as I find them regardless of job / colour / religion but if I was going to respect people based on career choice I'd be more likely to respect a nurse.

Most of the people I know who joined the armed forces did so because they liked the lifestyle, needed to get away from where they were living, or realised it was their best chance of earning a decent salary without any qualifications, rather than a romantic patriotic notion of serving their country.

My opinion is that the people in the armed forces are a mix of good, bad and average, as with any other walk of life, and should be respected accordingly.

Spot on Driller. I was in the Navy for a while and that was pretty much the case.

I never felt like I deserved respect for doing that job, and there are many people out there that work damn hard to better society. Those that end up in combat though, that's a different story.....

I don't think that anyone, ex armed forces or otherwise, has any right to question the value of young men who have seen real action.

I have a history which I prefer to keep private but believe me, not everyone can operate under fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Airborn Pie View Post
    I don't think that anyone, ex armed forces or otherwise, has any right to question the value of young men who have seen real action.

I have a history which I prefer to keep private but believe me, not everyone can operate under fire.
    ....yes, but according to Drawler, nurses are more valued.....have you emptied a bed-pan whilst being heckled by a guy with alzheimers?....that takes proper backbone and guts!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast