+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Season Ticket Offer From Big Al

... about respect, I'm currently staying at Albert, France and will attend the 100 year WW1 commemoration at Thiepval on Sunday. Some of you will have visited the CWG Commision graves in the Somme area. Amongst other emotions, it makes me angry at some of the self-serving politicians who take us to war - that is on both sides (you mostly can't argue with dictators). I would make It mandatory for ALL our politicians to visit the war graves to see the results of their failed endeavours. Oh, and make them read the book 'Bird Song'.

Quote Originally Posted by Airborn Pie View Post

I have a history which I prefer to keep private
    There's an open goal there if anyone wants to tap it in!

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    There's an open goal there if anyone wants to tap it in!
    Jog off with your stirring duller, you know nothing about me, you think you do, change the record.
    Last edited by Airborn Pie; 30-06-2018 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Airborn Pie View Post
    Jog off with your stirring duller, you know nothing about me, you think you do, change the record.

I see the nickname invention committee has been working overtime. I feel like you've all come on in leaps and bounds since 'Snobhead'. Gold stars all round.

I know at least one thing about you, which is why it was funny when you wrote about having a history that you want to keep private.

I see the nickname invention committee has been working overtime. I feel like you've all come on in leaps and bounds since 'Snobhead'. Gold stars all round.

I know at least one thing about you, which is why it was funny when you wrote about having a history that you want to keep private.
    .....remember everyone, this is the troll who spent months hounding Navy because he was adamant that he was Vlad (apparently they bore some similarity in their writing styles...yawn).....despite myself and Swale telling him that he was wrong, again, he persisted.

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    .....remember everyone, this is the troll who spent months hounding Navy because he was adamant that he was Vlad (apparently they bore some similarity in their writing styles...yawn).....despite myself and Swale telling him that he was wrong, again, he persisted.
    'Months'

'Hounding'

Quality.

Without wanting to seem argumentative (it's Tarquin who said it this time but it's something you hear quite often) or offensive to Navy pie (whose non aligned loose-cannonry I enjoy on here) I don't agree with the idea that non-conscripted service personnel deserve the utmost respect.

I take people as I find them regardless of job / colour / religion but if I was going to respect people based on career choice I'd be more likely to respect a nurse.

Most of the people I know who joined the armed forces did so because they liked the lifestyle, needed to get away from where they were living, or realised it was their best chance of earning a decent salary without any qualifications, rather than a romantic patriotic notion of serving their country.

My opinion is that the people in the armed forces are a mix of good, bad and average, as with any other walk of life, and should be respected accordingly.
    You can add tradition driller. My grandad served in the Durham Light Infantry during the war but the rest of us have served in the Navy. The good , bad and well to be honest, ugly is about right though. I was no angel but some of the behaviour from my fellow matelots was frankly appalling. I remember being on a 'good will 'visit to a certain country when some lads decided it would be a good idea tear down their flag from a government building and urinate on it .I knew all 4 lads involved well and only the behaviour of 1 of them surprised me .Needless to say the locals weren't happy and neither was the skipper.
    Last edited by navypie; 30-06-2018 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    You can add tradition driller. My grandad served in the Durham Light Infantry during the war but the rest of us have served in the Navy. The good , bad and well to be honest, ugly is about right though. I was no angel but some of the behaviour from my fellow matelots was frankly appalling. I remember being on a 'good will 'visit to a certain country when some lads decided it would be a good idea tear down their flag from a government building and urinate on it .I knew all 4 lads involved well and only the behaviour of 1 of them surprised me .Needless to say the locals weren't happy and neither was the skipper.
    Fair enough, tradition too in some cases.

The navy is/was clearly a big part of your life, if you could have your time again would you join up again? Would you be happy if your lad joined up?

Random questions I know and feel free to tell me to mind my own business if you want.

Yes, I would join up again.
    No, I would rather my lad didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    No, I would rather my lad didn't.
    Do you mind if I ask why?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast