+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pigford

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Pigford

As soon as he’s tested he has started creaking. Got a right going over by the pundits on ITV.

Massively overrated

Prefer Butland myself over Pickford.

And nowt to do with his background, either.

I just don't think he's as good as folk think.

Pushing the ball out into the box on numerous occasions and how the hell did that ball squirm under him in the first half. He’s got three arms and 53 fingers FFS!

The lad is thrown into a world cup with expectation on his shoulders like a Eddie Hall barbel.
    He needed this test and it could do him the world of good.
    Even the criticism by fans and pundits is fine. I'm sure he'll take it onboard.

Is he the best keeper for the job?
    Hard to tell...but he's been picked as number 1 and we are through to the last 16 and could afford to lose to Belgium by one goal.
    No biggie and it could be a blessing in disguise.

Wanting Butland in or saying he's a better keeper, is neither here nor there. Pickford has been chosen and he's done ok. We have to trust what Southgate puts out and how he plays the odds, like the Belgium game with his changes.
    Anyone can argue that he should have put his full strength side out but if key players got injured and we went out to Colombia because of it...England and Southgate will be crucified.
    Just as Southgate would be if he chose Butland to play against Colombia and he made an error that knocked us out....what would it be?

Ahhhh Southgate's a chump for leaving out Pickford.

It's a catch 22 situation with fans and pundits. We can all see the problems before there are problems. Let's just enjoy the last 16 and see where it takes us.
    And for those who hate Pickford just because he played for Sunderland and had a go at everton....just remember to leave that out of your England support because it'll just eat you up with bitterness. Get behind the lad and wish him every success, like the rest of the squad and manager/coaches, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    The lad is thrown into a world cup with expectation on his shoulders like a Eddie Hall barbel.
    He needed this test and it could do him the world of good.
    Even the criticism by fans and pundits is fine. I'm sure he'll take it onboard.

Is he the best keeper for the job?
    Hard to tell...but he's been picked as number 1 and we are through to the last 16 and could afford to lose to Belgium by one goal.
    No biggie and it could be a blessing in disguise.

Wanting Butland in or saying he's a better keeper, is neither here nor there. Pickford has been chosen and he's done ok. We have to trust what Southgate puts out and how he plays the odds, like the Belgium game with his changes.
    Anyone can argue that he should have put his full strength side out but if key players got injured and we went out to Colombia because of it...England and Southgate will be crucified.
    Just as Southgate would be if he chose Butland to play against Colombia and he made an error that knocked us out....what would it be?

Ahhhh Southgate's a chump for leaving out Pickford.

It's a catch 22 situation with fans and pundits. We can all see the problems before there are problems. Let's just enjoy the last 16 and see where it takes us.
    And for those who hate Pickford just because he played for Sunderland and had a go at everton....just remember to leave that out of your England support because it'll just eat you up with bitterness. Get behind the lad and wish him every success, like the rest of the squad and manager/coaches, etc.
    I think Pickford is a decent keeper and Southgate should stick with him. The same as our young keeper Woodman I would make him our number two

One thing that really gets me with all modern keepers is why it is coached into them to punch a long range shot straight back to oncoming forwards. Not many keepers now can actually dive and catch a shot cleanly.

I played decent level of football as a keeper and if I continually punched shots back into play I wouldn’t be playing next game.

You never saw Banks or Shilton do this

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherTerryMac View Post
    I think Pickford is a decent keeper and Southgate should stick with him. The same as our young keeper Woodman I would make him our number two

One thing that really gets me with all modern keepers is why it is coached into them to punch a long range shot straight back to oncoming forwards. Not many keepers now can actually dive and catch a shot cleanly.

I played decent level of football as a keeper and if I continually punched shots back into play I wouldn’t be playing next game.

You never saw Banks or Shilton do this
    I agree. My biggest niggle with Pickford is action man like mindset on wanting to go into stuntman punching mode.
    This is where Butland is more dept at taking the ball...but...Pickford's the choice and he should be stuck with.

I was also a keeper in my youth Terry and I cannot believe the number of keepers who punch the ball back into the danger area or into the opposition's possession even when it's easier to catch it.

In my day you didn't wear bloody massive gloves either.
    First time I saw those was in the '74 World Cup on Sepp Maier.
    If it was wet I had a light cotton pair, but that was it.

Mind you, it also amazes me how many refs give free kicks whenever an opposing player so much as breathes near a keeper!
    In one England game - can't remember which one - the keeper came out to punch, missed and nearly took the England bloke's head off.
    Of course the ref gave a free kick for a foul on the keeper.

Dave Beasant was very good at palming the ball back into the danger area, I seem to remember.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)