+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pigford

Haven't even seen Pickford that much, but how can Butland be better?

I was also a keeper in my youth Terry and I cannot believe the number of keepers who punch the ball back into the danger area or into the opposition's possession even when it's easier to catch it.

In my day you didn't wear bloody massive gloves either.
    First time I saw those was in the '74 World Cup on Sepp Maier.
    If it was wet I had a light cotton pair, but that was it.

Mind you, it also amazes me how many refs give free kicks whenever an opposing player so much as breathes near a keeper!
    In one England game - can't remember which one - the keeper came out to punch, missed and nearly took the England bloke's head off.
    Of course the ref gave a free kick for a foul on the keeper.

Dave Beasant was very good at palming the ball back into the danger area, I seem to remember.

I saw Beasant at our local church one Sunday when he was playing here. It was Palm Sunday if I remember correctly?

He's young and is going to be a great keeper IMO.
    At this WC I would've put him at no. 2 behind Butland. Butland is as good right now and has more experience.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    He's young and is going to be a great keeper IMO.
    At this WC I would've put him at no. 2 behind Butland. Butland is as good right now and has more experience.
    But Butland got relegated whilst Pickford was on the up in confidence after his season at Everton.

Quote Originally Posted by KemptownMag View Post
    I was also a keeper in my youth Terry and I cannot believe the number of keepers who punch the ball back into the danger area or into the opposition's possession even when it's easier to catch it.

In my day you didn't wear bloody massive gloves either.
    First time I saw those was in the '74 World Cup on Sepp Maier.
    If it was wet I had a light cotton pair, but that was it.

Mind you, it also amazes me how many refs give free kicks whenever an opposing player so much as breathes near a keeper!
    In one England game - can't remember which one - the keeper came out to punch, missed and nearly took the England bloke's head off.
    Of course the ref gave a free kick for a foul on the keeper.
    I normally just relied on a bit spit and a dab in the soil for gloves!!

I know I never used to have any big toecnails through opposition players stamping on my feet at corners.

Most of the coaches used to say for corners anything up to the penalty spot is a keepers ball. Any shots you dived for if you couldn’t catch it you palmed it round the post for a corner but never back into play.

For me keepers are over protected now and always get a free kick when they plough into an opposing player.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstonbob1 View Post
    As soon as he’s tested he has started creaking. Got a right going over by the pundits on ITV.
    .. Child ..

Aye he is. That’s one of the reasons I wouldn’t have him in. If it was me you meant, which I’m sure it was, the pundits on ITV must be children as well because they had a right go and they know way more than we do about football.

.. Pigford? ..

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)