+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Academy Players

Academy Players

This thread is more aimed that the supporters who regularly watch U23s etc. With Brooks all but on his way out. Are there any other players who might be included in next season's squad and has the potential to become a regular XI squad player?

The fact that Regan Slater and Rhys Norrington-Davies, along with Jake Eastwood, have been selected to join the first team squad in Portugal, gives some indication as to those that CW thinks are nearest to a breakthrough. Time will tell.
    We also have another promising young keeper, Marcus Dewhurst, who was included in England U17 squads last season, so hopefully he will continue to progress.
    It is very difficult to forecast how young players will develop, not least because of the amount of physical change which some undergo and others don’t. We see so many lads with undoubted talent but lacking the required physical strength to mix it with the big boys. Just occasionally, someone different comes along (like Brooks) who despite an apparently slight build, has outstanding ability and BALANCE which enables him to potentially progress to the highest levels.
    For various reasons, I did not see much of the youngsters last season, but when I did, I certainly didn’t see anyone who grabbed the attention like Brooksy did, but let’s be honest, his sort don’t come along very often.
    Now we’ll see what this year brings along.

I recall George Willis being tipped for big things - now where is he?

I hadn't seen it that CW was taking some younger players with him to Portugal, that is a good sign. Some have played in First Team games (Slater at Grimsby in Checkatrade Trophy for example).

Quote Originally Posted by bladesmad View Post
    I recall George Willis being tipped for big things - now where is he? .
    As far as I know, he’s still playing for Boston United.
    He was, but I’m not sure if he still is, helping with the coaching of the younger keepers up at the Academy.

Good shot stopper, his problem was lack of height.

I recall George Willis being tipped for big things - now where is he?

I hadn't seen it that CW was taking some younger players with him to Portugal, that is a good sign. Some have played in First Team games (Slater at Grimsby in Checkatrade Trophy for example).
    Posted on this forum !

This thread is more aimed that the supporters who regularly watch U23s etc. With Brooks all but on his way out. Are there any other players who might be included in next season's squad and has the potential to become a regular XI squad player?
    I think Ronnie and Rod will have as much idea as anyone. We go to U23's when we can, but I can't say I know enough to pick out the ones likely/not likely. As Ronnie says they have a lot of growing and growing up to do at that age, and some who looks really promising at 16 are a definite 'no' at 20, or visa versa.

I should also mention that we have a liking for putting out really young teams, and half our U23 kids are 18/19, whereas a lot of the teams we play are 22/23 and a couple of older pro's. Not only does that makes it even harder to tell, but it puts the teams achievements into perspective.

Of the current crop, and those already mentioned, I think Bombers lad, Sam Graham, has a good chance. He's a big and uncompromising defender, sometimes a little poorly disciplined, but he's only 18. We've got him contracted for two more years and I think he'll be pretty close to first team squad by then.

Tyler Smith will make the breakthrough this season

Quote Originally Posted by BlockD View Post
    Tyler Smith will make the breakthrough this season
    Tyler may do but if he does i reckon it'll be on loan somewhere.You did enuff damage to Young Jakey so for goodness sake leave Tyler alone will tha.Regan's still my most likely out of this crop of young uns to mek it here,but as Pops said Bomber does look very promisin.Norrington Davies i've seen have some very good games particularly v Barnsley at Stocky last season but i've also seen him play poorly but i think he'll have a career in football at what level it's still hard to judge at this stage of his career. UTCB
    Last edited by rodcurrie; 30-06-2018 at 01:19 PM.