+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So we were close to selling...

So we were close to selling...

Mbemba and Sels but we won’t budge on their price for teams from foreign leagues thus losing £8/10m off the extra money from our transfer budget. Surely their can be deals struck ie Porto pay £6m up front and 2m next summer for Mbemba or is that only a privilege for mega wealthy English clubs. I bet we would save £50+k a week off the wage bill for the two of them thus making up the short fall on the lesser transfer fee over the year.

Equally - why should we have to bend on deals, clubs don't for us.

Yes they need to go i fully agree but we shouldn't just get rid for sake of it.

I think both will be gone by end of window.

It's always the same in transfer windows. Clubs try to bluff their way through deals until the last minute, then generally buckle and sort out the deals.
    In this case both players are cheap considering the silly transfer fee explosion.
    Anyone getting Mbemba is getting an absolute bargain at the price we want.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    It's always the same in transfer windows. Clubs try to bluff their way through deals until the last minute, then generally buckle and sort out the deals.
    In this case both players are cheap considering the silly transfer fee explosion.
    Anyone getting Mbemba is getting an absolute bargain at the price we want.
    That is a very low price for a very good defender. If I were a Porto fan, I would be worried about him adapting in terms of learning the language and such, but he is a very good player IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by HughieG View Post
    That is a very low price for a very good defender. If I were a Porto fan, I would be worried about him adapting in terms of learning the language and such, but he is a very good player IMO.
    They'd be mugs to miss out for the sake of a few million.
    I actually think the language barrier in a non issue. I think too much has been made of it at Newcastle in an attempt to give some credence to his omittance. I could well be wrong....but.

i actually agree with the club a bit on this one, id be gutted if we sold Mbemba at a drastically knocked down price just to get the sale pushed through. Regardless of whether Rafa doesnt like him, i think he is a very good defender with a lot of room for improvement.
    We always seem to get the shlt end of the deals. Every club are demanding way above the odds for players yet clubs are holding us to ransom. If Mbemba played for anyone else the fee would be 20 million and over

Look at Frankenstein's monster, he cost Leicester 17m and he wouldnt get in our starting line up, he is no better than Mbemba yet is at the world cup with England. If they sold him now they would be demanding crazy numbers like 50m

This is where Mike Ashley has shlt in his own nest, the entire globe know he is tight as **** and all the rumblings over budget and contracts etc has reinforced their hand that we need to sell to buy, thus clubs taking the plss and offering 6 million for Mbemba.
    Debating over 1m for Sels doesnt seem a lot in this modern game but at least we dug our heels in. Maybe the lad will get another chance and come good. Remember Perch, he was hated and then was given a chance and everyone was calling him Perchinho.

Unfortunately until the liar and Benitez reach an agreement over budget and his contract situation is sorted out, we will be in limbo and clubs will take advantage of that fact. Id be amazed if we got any of these so called "top targets" Kennedy and the striker, why would they want to sign, we have no long term project, no investment from top to bottom and the manager is likely to leave in a year.

I reckon Ashleys at the point over the last 11 years where theres not many clubs around Europe who he hasn't insulted or pi55ed off when haggling to either buy or sell players. I'd say it doesn't go unnoticed in those circles and team owners won't do him any favours.

The chickens have come home to roost.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    They'd be mugs to miss out for the sake of a few million.
    I actually think the language barrier in a non issue. I think too much has been made of it at Newcastle in an attempt to give some credence to his omittance. I could well be wrong....but.
    Could be, Ghost. Who knows what went on behind the scenes. I know you like to think Rafa is stubborn and all, but to me it doesn't make any sense that he would omit a player of this calibre if something wasn't right. Rafa is a very meticulous and tactical manager, he needs to be able to communicate with and instruct his players.

I don't know, there might be something more to it. Shame to lose a player of this quality, but if it turns out it's because he couldn't be bothered learning the language properly or doesn't do what he's told, then good riddance.

Quote Originally Posted by HughieG View Post
    Could be, Ghost. Who knows what went on behind the scenes. I know you like to think Rafa is stubborn and all, but to me it doesn't make any sense that he would omit a player of this calibre if something wasn't right. Rafa is a very meticulous and tactical manager, he needs to be able to communicate with and instruct his players.

I don't know, there might be something more to it. Shame to lose a player of this quality, but if it turns out it's because he couldn't be bothered learning the language properly or doesn't do what he's told, then good riddance.
    I suppose in time we'll find out the story with these players.
    I'll say one thing though. I can't believe Mbemba is only 23. He could well be and it appears that he had a bone scan to verify it, yet I'm not so sure.
    I just thought I'd add that in for no real added value.

Quote Originally Posted by jammy89 View Post
    equally - why should we have to bend on deals, clubs don't for us.

Yes they need to go i fully agree but we shouldn't just get rid for sake of it.

I think both will be gone by end of window.
    iagree jammy
    im sure they will only go for cash with sale as this is how ash does deals tries to get a reduction for paying all in one go

and stops things happening like the sheppards did

still paying for players 2-3 years later

i hope rafa keeps mbemba
    merhino wants away as rafa doesnt rate him or play him enough so let him go
    is he any better that the lad from swansea

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)