+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Should some football interpretations or rules or be changed for the better?

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    As I said with your original suggestion it is a good idea, however, was he certain to have scored? I can remember Akinbayi skying one over the bar from less than one yard against Watford when it was easier to score.
    I just want TLOG left alone completely because I don't think that any of the so-called improvements have improved the game at all.

Interesting to see the great number of penalties which have been awarded in this World Cup and compare that to the number that were awarded in the PL last season. There have been 27 awarded in 52 matches so far against 80 in 380 PL games.
    ...and Burnley still wouldn't get one!

You stole my thunder Supersub6.

A penalty isn't awarded because there is a certainty of a goal being scored; its awarded because it unfairly prevented the scoring of a goal.

How many penalties are awarded when the player is running away from the goal and is fouled in in the corner of the box?

Or it hits them in the arm when the player has his back to the kicker? Would that have led to a certain goal?

So the haphazardness of a penalty kick often reflects the uncertainty that a goal would have been scored prior to the penalty and the 15% of saves quoted is reasonable to reflect this situation.

I have seen many penalties saved with the comment "that's justice".

I think a combination of penalties being awarded and penalty goals given would reflect the real time situation--so both are valid.

As I said with your original suggestion it is a good idea, however, was he certain to have scored? I can remember Akinbayi skying one over the bar from less than one yard against Watford when it was easier to score.
    As I said to blueheeler, it's irrlevant to my suggestion as to whether he would have scored or not, if an offence is worth the award of a penalty, which leads to a goal most of the time, then why not ensure it leads to a goal every time, instead of a lottery, and justice is then done and seen to be done.

Blueheeler also makes the point I made in my original post for me, it would concentrate the minds of referees wonderfully, in making them think twice about blowing up for innocuous handballs, and trivial incidents that should never be pens in the first place. They wouldn't be making some of the ludicrous decisions they do now, if they were obliged to award a goal, instead of the current cop out of awarding a penalty. And teams like Croatia couldn't be cheated out of a goal by cynical defenders, it's win/win, and it's simple. I don't see the downside, but I know it will never happen.

sinkov --it won't happen because clubs would not vote for it. The success rate in the PL last season was only 70%
    I do not think that referees cop out by awarding penalties, if anything they cop out by not awarding them and they would be even more reluctant if they were going to award a goal because they would be wanting to be 110% certain and that is an impossibility! lol

sinkov --it won't happen because clubs would not vote for it. The success rate in the PL last season was only 70%
    I do not think that referees cop out by awarding penalties, if anything they cop out by not awarding them and they would be even more reluctant if they were going to award a goal because they would be wanting to be 110% certain and that is an impossibility! lol
    Only 70%, that's way below the stats I've been reading about over the weekend, maybe the goalkeeping standards are improving in the PL. But if it is only 70% even more reason to abolish penalties and replace them with penalty goals. As the chances of being pulled up for holding, wrestling, shirt-tugging, grappling or general skullduggery in the box are low anyway, and you have a 30% chance of getting away with it if you are caught, what message is that sending to defenders ?

Carry on cheating lads, that's the message, and that's the message refs are sending out all the time to players in every game, with their lax attitude to holding in the box, time-wasting, awarding of free- kicks to players who fall down when a defender breathes on them, and the toleration of abuse and dissent on an industrial scale. And I'm not making this up just to have a pop at refs supersub, it really is a problem and they refuse to get to grips with it, did you see the Neymar pantomime yesterday, one player deliberately standing on another players ankle, one player writhing around in apparent agony when there was nothing wrong with him, all in full view of the officials and the VAR muppets. Result......nothing, play on. An total abrogation of duty by the officials, an appalling example to set to young players watching the world over, an absolute disgrace.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Only 70%, that's way below the stats I've been reading about over the weekend, maybe the goalkeeping standards are improving in the PL. But if it is only 70% even more reason to abolish penalties and replace them with penalty goals. As the chances of being pulled up for holding, wrestling, shirt-tugging, grappling or general skullduggery in the box are low anyway, and you have a 30% chance of getting away with it if you are caught, what message is that sending to defenders ?

Carry on cheating lads, that's the message, and that's the message refs are sending out all the time to players in every game, with their lax attitude to holding in the box, time-wasting, awarding of free- kicks to players who fall down when a defender breathes on them, and the toleration of abuse and dissent on an industrial scale. And I'm not making this up just to have a pop at refs supersub, it really is a problem and they refuse to get to grips with it, did you see the Neymar pantomime yesterday, one player deliberately standing on another players ankle, one player writhing around in apparent agony when there was nothing wrong with him, all in full view of the officials and the VAR muppets. Result......nothing, play on. An total abrogation of duty by the officials, an appalling example to set to young players watching the world over, an absolute disgrace.
    I agree that it was an appalling example to set to young players, however, it was not the officials that were rolling around and cheating, it was the players. Young players do not take any notice of what the officials do, they are only interested in players. The officials can only give what he sees and the players do not help the cause by rolling around and feigning injury all the time. My fif**** year old grandson, who is a decent player and loves the game, texted me yesterday saying "Granddad just what is Neymar playing at? He is diving around all over the place and then rolling around afterwads and feigning injury. It is ridiculous!"
    He wasn't blaming the officials, he was firmly putting the blame on the player --and rightly so!

Referee did not see the incident with Neymar so he is unable to do anything about it and VAR decided not to --for what reason I know not and I don't care either.
    The abuse dished out to officials is classed as industrial language by those running the game. I know this from my own experience when I broached this subject with the FA about 7 years ago. The local FAs insist that referees dismiss players for foul language and this happens week in week out up here, meanwhile these same players see those at the top get away with it every time. The FA insist that if you stop it at local level it will filter through to the top --what a joke!

I could tell you a lot of tales about the directions officials are given to try to stick to, however, that would be very unfair to my friend. I will just say that the mind boggles!

Possibly a little off topic, as I’m not sure any current footy rule covers this, but let’s look at players surrounding referees to dispute various decisions. It’s become s total joke, pitiful actually. In my mind there’s a relatively easy solution that may be worth a try.

As things stand now, each team has a captain, let’s add two other ‘associate captains’ to each team. Only one of the three designates is allowed to speak to the ref. Any physical contact initiated by the player is an immediate red card.

Quote Originally Posted by exilecanada View Post
    Possibly a little off topic, as I’m not sure any current footy rule covers this, but let’s look at players surrounding referees to dispute various decisions. It’s become s total joke, pitiful actually. In my mind there’s a relatively easy solution that may be worth a try.

As things stand now, each team has a captain, let’s add two other ‘associate captains’ to each team. Only one of the three designates is allowed to speak to the ref. Any physical contact initiated by the player is an immediate red card.
    All eminently sensible, simple and workable exile, which is why it will never happen.

I understood this was already the case but players choose to ignore it. Citeh did it at Burnley and influenced the referee.

How can the Colombians who were scutching up the penalty spot prior to Kane's first penalty be allowed to stay on the pitch?

Neymar's tumbling, rolling and imitation of being shot by a Jap sniper was so pathetically banal he ought to have earned two red cards; one for cheating and another one for awful acting.

Referee's need to be stronger and immediately yellow card anyone who gets in their face.

My question would be "why add another two?".

Only the captain should seek clarification from the Ref on his decisions.

I wouldn't allow any discussion with a ref that calls into question his decisions.

The Captain could ask the ref to clarify his decision with the Linesman--and that it.

Ant other player who approaches the Ref should be booked.

We have criticized VAR on this board but look how it has reduced grabbing of opponents at corners.

It has also allowed the Ref to give penalties knowing that his decision is under review.

If a Ref will only allow a Captain to speak to him after a decision and books all other players that approach him we will see and end to this ridiculous situation in no time flat.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)