+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Should some football interpretations or rules or be changed for the better?

The fear of losing these days comes from the huge amounts of money involved and it permeates all levels look at how Burnley play ... We need to preserve our status - end of ..yes ? therefore the fear is enormous ..the entertainment often lamentable .

Points mean prizes big prizes and no rule change will alter that now

I would bring in a revolutionary change, I would abolish penalty kicks. The point of them is apparently to punish a defending team going outside the laws to prevent a goal being scored, by giving the attacking team a good chance of scoring. But there is no logic to that, as only about 80/90% are converted it is in effect a lottery. But why should it be a lottery, scrap the lottery of the penalty kick and award a penalty goal instead. Instant certain justice for the attacking team, instant certain retribution for the offending team.

Every infringement would give a goal away, no chance of your keeper earning you a reprieve, which would concentrate the minds wonderfully of defenders intent on Jackie Pallo impersonations instead of defending properly.

It would also have the effect of concentrating the minds of referees, if they had to award a goal instead of a pen, it would hopefully make them realise the utter stupidity of penalising defenders whose hands or arms inadvertently come into contact with the ball. Too easy for them to point to the spot and let events run their course, if they had to award a goal because the ball flicked a defenders hand they would seriously have to consider whether it really was worth awarding a goal to the attacking team, and that blot on the game could be eradicated.

Never happen though will it, too much responsibility for the officials, they much prefer the cop out of penalty kicks and VAR.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphpom View Post
    No rule change in my lifetime (52) has improved any aspect of the game.

Three subs ... games that don't finish until 5pm ... the pathetic offside rule ... Keepers not allowed to pick up back passes ... three points for a win ... all bloody rubbish ...squad numbers that is another pointless load of foreign crap imposed on us for no good reason ..

Important issue - players cheating .. increasing and increasingly ignored by the officials.

The fear of losing these days comes from the huge amounts of money involved and it permeates all levels look at how Burnley play ... We need to preserve our status - end of ..yes ? therefore the fear is enormous ..the entertainment often lamentable .

Points mean prizes big prizes and no rule change will alter that now.
    All of this and I am 19 years older than ralphpom!!

BT -- FIFA have already messed about too much and I honestly think that the game has ended as we elder statesmen know it.
    You dare hardly tackle these days because you may be endangering your opponent! Don't even think about a well-timed sliding tackle because they are just waiting to throw the book at you, particulalry if you win the ball fair and square but your trailing leg happens to just touch your opponent who feels obliged to fall over because "there was contact"

Next season will be my 67th going watching the Clarets and I was persuaded to renew my seasons ticket by a friend who is in his 69th season. I only relented because the PL will not be using VAR next season. I have no doubt that this totally unnecessary addition will be brought in for the 2019/20 season and this will finally stop me attending games, much to the delight of my local, Northern League club who will gain my support.

".......Never happen though will it, too much responsibility for the officials, they much prefer the cop out of penalty kicks and VAR."

The officials are having this forced on them by FIFA. The ones that I know are not happy about VAR because it does not help the game and undermines their authority on the field.
    It is not easy being an official, it never has been, however, you do the job to the best of your ability and hope that those involved in the game, whether playing, managing or spectating will appreciate your efforts and realise that you are striving to be fair.

With the changes made to The Laws of the Game and the continuing lack of respect shown for officials we often find that we train candidates, get them into refereeing and then they receive so much abuse, even at junior games, that they just decide it isn't worth it and pack it in.

The more messing about with TLOG that there is the more difficult it all becomes.

On the upside I was delighted to see this week that my favourite club in the North East are now in the Wearside after a good first season in the Durham Alliance .... I can see a visit to Welfare Park on the horizon

Quote Originally Posted by ralphpom View Post
    On the upside I was delighted to see this week that my favourite club in the North East are now in the Wearside after a good first season in the Durham Alliance .... I can see a visit to Welfare Park on the horizon
    Must be Horden Colliery Welfare FC! Good to see them in the Wearside League and if they do OK it will be a step up to the Northern League --better than going into the Alliance which takes longer.

Yes the new club are Horden Community Welfare now rather than Colliery ..the previous club are to be known as Darlington Town next season ..I think Darlo have cut the link with the old Horden CW they've been playing as Darlington Reserves for a couple of years ..all complete nonsense !

I typed it wrong through habit I think!
    Interesting about the Darlington Town etc. --there are still some strange goings on in the non-league fraternity --as you well know!

Yes we'll to be fair as I understand it the old club hadn't paid ANY rent for quite some time so the council gave them the push which in these times of council austerity is sad but understandable ...

See Morpeth and Marske have joined the NPL which under the new structure gets them a trip to Wisbech .....

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)