+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: G&C up in flames..

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    It might have been a floating burning cinder from the Saddleworth Moor fires .....
    Yes, I had to keep blowing on it to keep it smouldering on the journey back on the M62.

Wasn't easy

It's an eyesore lets be honest.

Maybe the structure has been damaged and it has to be demolished.

No doubt the fake news about it being the birth place of the faucet tap will rise again.

Regardless of the facts that the tap was patented years before G&C built the factory on that site.

Don't know about that but I'm pretty sure New York fire extinguishers were made locally, not shipped over from England.

Did a bit of research when I first heard about it and could find no record of them ever using G&C ones.

I think its actually more like to have been call New York in reference to York rather than any American reference.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    Don't know about that but I'm pretty sure New York fire extinguishers were made locally, not shipped over from England.

Did a bit of research when I first heard about it and could find no record of them ever using G&C ones.

I think its actually more like to have been call New York in reference to York rather than any American reference.
    Its called New York Stadium because that area of Rotherham is New York,where have you been this was stated 4 years ago there was even a pub called The New York Tavern which is now in Booths yard and Sandy Powell was born in New York area

Quote Originally Posted by hotun View Post
    Its called New York Stadium because that area of Rotherham is New York,where have you been this was stated 4 years ago there was even a pub called The New York Tavern which is now in Booths yard and Sandy Powell was born in New York area
    The name is connected to York or more accurately to the Bishop of York. The church owned a lot of the land and the name was used that way to indicate ownership. References to New York in Rotherham are earlier than the USA New York which previously was called New Amsterdam. It got the name change when the brits stole it from the Dutch and changed the name.

The fire hydrants is very much embroidery on wishful thinking. G&C were probably in the queue to get the supply contract but I don't think they sold many (if any)

What G&C did make a lot of though was artillery fuses for use in both wars. But it's not politically correct to shine a light on that part of the heritage.

When I worked at G&C the meter shop turned out over 700 Hydrants a week so they must be all over the world.The meter shop was somewhere in the region of the club shop towards the north stand end

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    No doubt the fake news about it being the birth place of the faucet tap will rise again.

Regardless of the facts that the tap was patented years before G&C built the factory on that site.
    It was the high pressure screw down water tap that was "invented" (patented) at G&C Grist. See link for more info:

http://moorgatecemetery.org.uk/strol...t-and-chrimes/

Anyhow back to the fire, & not wanting to put ideas into anyones head, but ……..
    imagine if it went up during a game

It's got to go

Quote Originally Posted by gkotw View Post
    It was the high pressure screw down water tap that was "invented" (patented) at G&C Grist. See link for more info:

http://moorgatecemetery.org.uk/strol...t-and-chrimes/
    Yes indeed, whatever you want to call the device it was invented before G&C built on Don Street, so there is no merit for preserving Don Street site as it’s place of invention. As your article explains. Patented when G&C were operating out of the market area, which is long gone.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast