+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: G&C up in flames..

Just been down to the NYS Club shop. Busy down at the ground - schools competition going on.
    Had a look at the G&C site. Fire was at end of site near to Don Street, well away from the stadium. Section of roof has been burnt off.

Its about time there was a mass petition to get this sorted out, surely its an "Health n Safety" HAZARD.

always had mixed feelings about G+C building being bulldozed. It is part of the towns industrial heritage, but I agree it is an eyesore. There has been talk of hotel, micro-brewery, trampoline centre etc. Maybe keep the tower. On the preservation case- I would have thought there was a bigger case for the old Doncaster Gate hospital building being preserved, maybe still adopted as university building and campus, though there might have been structural reasons for it going.
    But then again is G+C building safe to be re-used?

Quote Originally Posted by Archiemiller View Post
    Its about time there was a mass petition to get this sorted out, surely its an "Health n Safety" HAZARD.

Of course it is Archie.

Obvious to everybody but as usual it’s going to take a death or very serious injury to somebody before there’s any actual action.

Then there will be the usual wailing, gnashing of teeth, finger pointing and endless “how did this happen?” bullshine.

The condition of the site being so close to the ground, coupled with the easy access to the ruins, it wouldn’t surprise me if we get match cancellations, particularly if strong winds start blowing bits off it.

Anybody doing even a basic risk assessment would have to highlight it as a risk to public safety.

there are empty units all over town, why build new ones.

This area around the Don including forge island has been earmarked for development by the council for years, but they aren't the ones building anything it will be the investors/developers, and where are they?

As for units in the NYS, there will be limited options depending on the contracts signed with the caterers already in place.

Quote Originally Posted by fc_miller View Post
    there are empty units all over town, why build new ones.

This area around the Don including forge island has been earmarked for development by the council for years, but they aren't the ones building anything it will be the investors/developers, and where are they?

As for units in the NYS, there will be limited options depending on the contracts signed with the caterers already in place.
    Investors are put off by the stumbling blocks put there by English Heritage, they will need a clear run before tying up money.

The site needs demolishing for anything to move.

Locations next to rivers, canals etc... are proven to do really well when devoped correctly. This is something Rotherham has never took advantage of.
    As for history/heritage, what about the towns future history/heritage? Which doesn't seem to be considered by these English heritage idiots.
    Last edited by Amanda_Hugg_n_Kiss; 03-07-2018 at 06:25 AM.

There was a thread on here a while back similar to this and I remember someone comparing Rotherham to Barnsley and saying something like it could be worse etc etc, Barnsley is a right hole. Well I know one thing having spent a fair bit of time in and around Barnsley, the actual town centre, amount of shops/busy pubs/bars, it absolutely blinds Rotherham 100%. Pains me to say that but it does.

Fact is Barnsley is a town being invested in and is reaping the rewards, its busy/vibrant.

Boots and Greenwoods leaving Rotherham. 2 more nails in the coffin!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rileyev.the.third View Post
    There was a thread on here a while back similar to this and I remember someone comparing Rotherham to Barnsley and saying something like it could be worse etc etc, Barnsley is a right hole. Well I know one thing having spent a fair bit of time in and around Barnsley, the actual town centre, amount of shops/busy pubs/bars, it absolutely blinds Rotherham 100%. Pains me to say that but it does.

Fact is Barnsley is a town being invested in and is reaping the rewards, its busy/vibrant.

Absolutely spot on. Barnsley has a lot going for it while Rotherham is dying on it's feet.
    Do our councillors ever get out of their ivory towers and look at the mess they have created? Maybe they do but don't have the collective brain power to realise things need to change radically.
    Then again, they don't need to worry too much, they've got jobs for life because the Rotherham electorate will vote the clowns in again and again no matter how big a shambles they continue to create ☹

Quote Originally Posted by rileyev.the.third View Post

Not been to Barnsley for years but I would guess the local population all speak with a Barnsley accent ?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast