+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: G&C up in flames..

As for New York fire hydrants

http://www.firehydrant.org/pictures/nyc.html

No merit on preserving G&C Don Street on that piece of made up bumf either.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    No doubt the fake news about it being the birth place of the faucet tap will rise again.

Regardless of the facts that the tap was patented years before G&C built the factory on that site.
    Or....

Name:  A775756A-969A-4920-99A5-BB863A41E08F.jpg
Views: 960
Size:  12.0 KB

Name:  8390BA8E-8D4C-41FF-8B16-72EA0AAD5E39.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  16.1 KB

When I went to renew my season ticket last month as I walked past one of the roof tiles was moving in the strong wind.This building has never looked safe and an accident was waiting to happen.It needs to be completely cleared now before the start of the season.

Putting it simply clearing it and replacing with even a simple park/leisure area will attract people and in turn fill the vacant "shops" in NYS thus creating revenue

Problem is National Heritage (?) won't or can't make it safe
    It needs to be cleared ASAP before there's a bigger, more, tragic event

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Yes indeed, whatever you want to call the device it was invented before G&C built on Don Street, so there is no merit for preserving Don Street site as it’s place of invention. As your article explains. Patented when G&C were operating out of the market area, which is long gone.
    Yeah, I think it's more what the site represents rather than the building itself. I could be wrong and please someone correct me if I am, but isn't it just the facade on Don St. which is listed?

To my mind it should be levelled but with a prominent structure on site detailing the history of G&C and the company's relevance to our heritage. I once saw an artists impression of the area which showed a massive brass tap with water constantly flowing. That would do for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BramleyMiller58 View Post
    Putting it simply clearing it and replacing with even a simple park/leisure area will attract people and in turn fill the vacant "shops" in NYS thus creating revenue

That doesn't necessarily follow, it's a poor location for shops being neither in the centre or at a retail park.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    That doesn't necessarily follow, it's a poor location for shops being neither in the centre or at a retail park.
    I thought the latest idea was for it to become a trampoline centre?

Well, the state its now in, the trampolinists will be able to bounce even higher cos the roofs gone!!

Quote Originally Posted by gkotw View Post
    Yeah, I think it's more what the site represents rather than the building itself. I could be wrong and please someone correct me if I am, but isn't it just the facade on Don St. which is listed?

To my mind it should be levelled but with a prominent structure on site detailing the history of G&C and the company's relevance to our heritage. I once saw an artists impression of the area which showed a massive brass tap with water constantly flowing. That would do for me.
    That is exactly the point, the heritage people use the “facts” about the birthplace of the tap (or whatever you want to call it) and the connection to New York fire hydrants as reasons to preserve the site. Both points are spurious and completely without merit.

The site itself is a complete mongrel of architecture being built, part demolished and added to over decades. There are no unique architectural features, even the G&C name over the doorway is a replacement after the original was structurally damaged. Add to this the fact that it’s unsafe, riddled with damaged asbestos and as recent events have shown it’s easy to break into.

So what are we preserving? Nothing of any significance and if we are preserving a monument to the company’s relevance to our heritage then why there and not on the market site that G&C founded? Plus why them? There are other Rotherham names and dead companies that contributed to Rotherham’s heritage, should they have one each?

Isn’t that what museums are for?

The G&C fiasco only goes to prove that a badly run muddle headed “heritage” organisation based miles away from Rotherham can use planning rules to stop progress, using lies where appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    That end of town is being developed for leisure/residential (I think)
    Figures they'll need facilities

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast