+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Yeah, we got to the quarter finals, but.....

Quote Originally Posted by philipspark View Post
    1966:
    Real Madrid win the European Cup
    Burnley qualify for Europe
    Man City win their league
    Chelsea finish 5th
    England win the World Cup

2018:
    Chelsea finish 5th

England win the World Cup?????

What are the chances of that happening,

Burnley qualifying for Europe twice in 50 years.

Quote Originally Posted by LeedsFTW View Post
    One reason England did not score from open play was due to Columbia's constant fouling, sitting deep, disruptive play whenever we got into their 1/2 of the pitch, plus a very weak and substandard refereeing performance imo. Columbia where playing for the penalty shoot out until we went in front.

Set pieces didn't work for us as Columbia out muscled & fouled us at any given opportunity until the referee finally gave a penalty. e.g. How can a Columbian defender be allowed to deliberately headbutt a player in their own 18 yard box and be allowed to remain on the pitch?

A win is win - this is tournament football.
    Agree on all the points in the first paragraph (from the limited amount of play I watched tbh). But that's just the point, if we come up against a team doing the same thing, will we end up getting the same result, or will we have learned to adapt to nullify (as far as possible) such behaviour? Not saying we can completely overcome teams playing like that, but neither can we (should we) rely on being lucky in a shoot out.

Quote Originally Posted by philipspark View Post
    1966:
    Chelsea finish 5th
    England win the World Cup

2018:
    Chelsea finish 5th

England win the World Cup?????
    One more coincidence

Holders Germany were knocked out of the 2018 World Cup during the group stages, just as Brazil were in 1966 after they won the competition in 1962.

So we’ve won it then!

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    So, we.scrape past Tunisia, put 6 past Panama, then lose.to Belgium. The only goals we have scored since Panama have been via penalties. Why?
    lol just seen this - I didn't see who posted it when I clicked on the link, then had a chuckle when I saw WTF's name there.

He's as predictable as a cheating, dirty, low-life South American footballer, just without the snarling and the crying.

Hope our team chanted and laughed in their faces as we got on the bus last night like the Argentinians did in 98.... oh, but we didn't, cos we're not like that .....

And the biggest irony of their disgraceful display is that when they finally started to play, because they were losing, they were a decent team that put us under a lot of pressure and finally scored. Sad they thought they were wearing blue and white stripes for the first hour. Could've been a really good game instead of a war.

Quote Originally Posted by LeedsFTW View Post
    One reason England did not score from open play was due to Columbia's constant fouling, sitting deep, disruptive play whenever we got into their 1/2 of the pitch, plus a very weak and substandard refereeing performance imo. Columbia where playing for the penalty shoot out until we went in front.

Set pieces didn't work for us as Columbia out muscled & fouled us at any given opportunity until the referee finally gave a penalty. e.g. How can a Columbian defender be allowed to deliberately headbutt a player in their own 18 yard box and be allowed to remain on the pitch?

A win is win - this is tournament football.

Quote Originally Posted by Jezleeds View Post
    lol just seen this - I didn't see who posted it when I clicked on the link, then had a chuckle when I saw WTF's name there.

He's as predictable as a cheating, dirty, low-life South American footballer, just without the snarling and the crying.

Hope our team chanted and laughed in their faces as we got on the bus last night like the Argentinians did in 98.... oh, but we didn't, cos we're not like that .....
    Happy for you to suggest I'm predictable, and that I don't snarl or cry!

Happy for you to suggest I'm predictable, and that I don't snarl or cry!
    They were shocking. It was like they had been told that was the way to beat us - and given that we've lost so many times in the past to teams like that doing that sort of thing, I guess they thought they had us sussed.

Which makes yesterday all the more satisfying.

Quote Originally Posted by Jezleeds View Post
    They were shocking. It was like they had been told that was the way to beat us - and given that we've lost so many times in the past to teams like that doing that sort of thing, I guess they thought they had us sussed.

Which makes yesterday all the more satisfying.
    Agree about the end result, but the (genuinely) serious point I was making with the original question was about what you say above. They WERE told that was what they should do, that was obvious, and the point being that apart from the penalty, in open play they succeeded.

They wanted the shoot-out knowing that our record isn't that good and (I guess) banked on the chances being on their side when penalties beckoned. they got it wrong (or lady luck shone on us for once!), but we surely must be able to overcome that kind of behaviour, and score in open play, if we're to progress. Thing is, that apart from Panama, that ability hasn't been much on show.

BTW, Rev makes the same point (unwittingly) in post #22

"Oh and we just won a penalty shoot out which we rarely do"

Agree about the end result, but the (genuinely) serious point I was making with the original question was about what you say above. They WERE told that was what they should do, that was obvious, and the point being that apart from the penalty, in open play they succeeded.

They wanted the shoot-out knowing that our record isn't that good and (I guess) banked on the chances being on their side when penalties beckoned. they got it wrong (or lady luck shone on us for once!), but we surely must be able to overcome that kind of behaviour, and score in open play, if we're to progress. Thing is, that apart from Panama, that ability hasn't been much on show.

BTW, Rev makes the same point (unwittingly) in post #22

"Oh and we just won a penalty shoot out which we rarely do"
    Back to the point that a stronger/better referee would have stopped the behavior from Columbia and that we had enough about us to win a fair game within the 90 mins. I still feel that Ali and Sterling performed well below par and hampered our efforts.

England did well to stand up to it and mainly not get involved in the fouling.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)