+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Morning After

The Morning After

Woke up feeling great about England - finally the result matches what we deserved from the game and the vile Colombian team is homeward bound.

But I also have a sense that we cannot paper over the cracks. Kane, Trippier & Maguire were outstanding but even so Sterling (no threat) & Young (wrong-footed) need replacing by Rashford & Rose as a minimum surely? Plus Ali is not fit or just not in the groove, and so Loftus Cheek must start. We had no natural ball carrier in midfield, and with Wilshere & Lallana back home, also lack that technical quality and speed of thought to unlock packed defences. Dier is really not quite a centre back and not quite a midfield player and so when he comes on "fresh" he does not add to our ability to retain possession.

I am thrilled that we are where we are, and am 100% behind Southgate, but I do think that the team selection needs refreshing for the next stage of the tournament.

Well done England and COYP - especially if today is the day of the game-changing signing!

We didn't play brilliantly but kept going in the face of disgusting gamesmanship by Colombia. I didn't get to sleep for ages afterwards as the adrenaline was pumping, thought henderson had fluffed it for us but we actually won a bloody shootout ha ha!

Points to improve for the next game are actually get Kane a chance that isn't a penalty, don't put every single cross and corner to Maguire as Colombia worked it out pretty quickly, maybe drop Sterling and keep our concentration to the end.

I think we need to remember we have the youngest squad in the whole tournament and this was always going to be a world cup too early for some in terms of their performance yet we have a great chance of at least the semis. We picked ourselves up lastnight from a heartbreaking last minute goal and were actually the better team in the second period of extra time showing our character. The penalties apart from Henderson were excellent and you can see they have worked on their confidence regarding them. Also Pickfords world class save in injury time and the penalty save bodes well for his future.

Bring on the swedes!

Quote Originally Posted by wiseoldmagpie View Post
    Woke up feeling great about England - finally the result matches what we deserved from the game and the vile Colombian team is homeward bound.

But I also have a sense that we cannot paper over the cracks. Kane, Trippier & Maguire were outstanding but even so Sterling (no threat) & Young (wrong-footed) need replacing by Rashford & Rose as a minimum surely? Plus Ali is not fit or just not in the groove, and so Loftus Cheek must start. We had no natural ball carrier in midfield, and with Wilshere & Lallana back home, also lack that technical quality and speed of thought to unlock packed defences. Dier is really not quite a centre back and not quite a midfield player and so when he comes on "fresh" he does not add to our ability to retain possession.

I am thrilled that we are where we are, and am 100% behind Southgate, but I do think that the team selection needs refreshing for the next stage of the tournament.

Well done England and COYP - especially if today is the day of the game-changing signing!
    Good thread wiseoldmagpie

Pickford removals, remember them? (Nationalised now and removing cheats from the World Cup).
    I think you have to accept that this manager sees Sterling as a game-changer, even though he hasn't managed it yet. He'll only leave him out if injured. Loftus Cheek and Rashford need including as (i) a ball carrier, and (ii) an alternative striker.
    Sweden are beatable. But are Russia and 50,000 Russkis or Croatia with Modric's wonderful talent?

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Pickford removals, remember them? (Nationalised now and removing cheats from the World Cup).
    I think you have to accept that this manager sees Sterling as a game-changer, even though he hasn't managed it yet. He'll only leave him out if injured. Loftus Cheek and Rashford need including as (i) a ball carrier, and (ii) an alternative striker.
    Sweden are beatable. But are Russia and 50,000 Russkis or Croatia with Modric's wonderful talent?
    I'm sure someone will bite and try to give a reply to your last sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    I'm sure someone will bite and try to give a reply to your last sentence.
    I will.

Yes and yes. This is cup football. Anything is possible with games turning on one good flick, one good shot, one good save. We are The World Champions until proven otherwise, just as Notts are League Two Champions 2018/19 in my eyes right now.

Time to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    I think only Croatia can keep us out of the world cup final now.
    But can any team handle Belgium anyway? They've got far and away the most talent and the best talent. If they play to their potential they're world champions.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    I think only Croatia can keep us out of the world cup final now.
    But can any team handle Belgium anyway? They've got far and away the most talent and the best talent. If they play to their potential they're world champions.
    The Belgium v Brazil q/f promises to be a bit of a cracker.

As for a place in the final, it's ours to lose from this point, we are favourites against Sweden and would be favs against either Russia or Croatia should we reach a semi.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapperleypie View Post
    The Belgium v Brazil q/f promises to be a bit of a cracker.

As for a place in the final, it's ours to lose from this point, we are favourites against Sweden and would be favs against either Russia or Croatia should we reach a semi.
    Yeah. But it's weird to find yourself saying 'Brazil have no chance against Belgium, they just don't have the players'.
    England shouldn't be favorites in a semi against Croatia. But we're bound for the semis I'm sure. Sweden aren't a patch on their side in the 90s - Thern, Schwarz, Dahlin, Brolin, Ravelli, Limpar, Larsson. That lot would murder us. But they've got hardly anyone now - just big, physical well-organised but that's about it. England would have to really blow it not to make the semis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast