+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Enzio signs

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    We certainly do! I think a lot of it will come down to how quickly they gel and whether Nolan can continue to make our team more than the sum of its parts. If he can, considering the quality of said parts, we absolutely should be going for automatic.

But it doesn't always work like that. Mansfield are the classic example of splashing the cash but achieving nothing.
    Bonus is that we have most of the signings in place before the first friendly. Having a month of training together before the start of the season has to help. Especially with the defence being mainly the same. Was it 3rd best defence last season?

Quote Originally Posted by magicianpie View Post
    Bonus is that we have most of the signings in place before the first friendly. Having a month of training together before the start of the season has to help. Especially with the defence being mainly the same. Was it 3rd best defence last season?

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/ifollow/

We certainly do! I think a lot of it will come down to how quickly they gel and whether Nolan can continue to make our team more than the sum of its parts. If he can, considering the quality of said parts, we absolutely should be going for automatic.

But it doesn't always work like that. Mansfield are the classic example of splashing the cash but achieving nothing.
    Totally agree with this. Hardy deserves full credit for backing his manager to the hilt, and now it’s over to Kevin Nolan and the coaching staff. Spending money was never a guarantee of success in football, but it looks at the moment like we’ve made some good signings.

It’s only just over 4 weeks to the first League match, which isn’t long for a whole raft of new players to be gelled into a fully functioning team. It’s possible that the start to the season may be indifferent for that reason and I hope supporters will be patient.

I’m very optimistic about success by the end of the season. COYP

Mansfield would have won / been top 3 in the league if Evans hadn't walked.

Quote Originally Posted by Frigiliana Pie 1 View Post
    Totally agree with this. Hardy deserves full credit for backing his manager to the hilt, and now it’s over to Kevin Nolan and the coaching staff. Spending money was never a guarantee of success in football, but it looks at the moment like we’ve made some good signings.

It’s only just over 4 weeks to the first League match, which isn’t long for a whole raft of new players to be gelled into a fully functioning team. It’s possible that the start to the season may be indifferent for that reason and I hope supporters will be patient.

I’m very optimistic about success by the end of the season. COYP
    I'd agree with this. Last season we burst in front to the top of the table by early September we then started to fall away as we got into the New Year.

I'd be happy with this season being a slower burner at the start while the players gel if it meant that once it clicked we went on an automatic winning journey all the way until the end of the season and got automatic promotion by the end, rather than what happened last season.

This signing shows just how much “Scoop” Curtis knows what’s going on at Notts.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    This signing shows just how much “Scoop” Curtis knows what’s going on at Notts.
    He knew about it before anyone else, hence the canoe comments between him and Hardy! He just has integrity which is rare these days, he let Notts negotiate and release the story in their own time. Had he shouted it from the roof tops, other teams may have been alerted and we may have missed out. Full respect to Curtis for that

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    He knew about it before anyone else, hence the canoe comments between him and Hardy! He just has integrity which is rare these days, he let Notts negotiate and release the story in their own time. Had he shouted it from the roof tops, other teams may have been alerted and we may have missed out. Full respect to Curtis for that
    I doubt VERY much Scoop "knew about it before anyone else" and no-one is expecting him to have "shouted it from the rooftops", he didn't believe Notts had a chance of signing Boldewijn hence his offer to canoe across the Trent but he wasn't quiet about that, was he? A sports reporter's job is just that - to report the sports news - not to keep it to himself. He is not first with the news, just an also-ran, rambling along with what he assumes is news of interest to Notts fans, possibly most of which he gets from Notts Mad.

Other teams (I presume you mean clubs) in higher positions than us certainly were alerted and they tried to sign him too, so that won't wash.

What is the point of Leigh "Integrity" Curtis when the Notts chairman puts out the latest news on his own twitter account far quicker than the NEP's reporter? Faster than a speeding bullet does the latest AH twitter news appear on Notts Mad so no twitter account needed, and no NEP needed either.

Alan said that Leigh guessed it via text message to him, about a week ago.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    I doubt VERY much Scoop "knew about it before anyone else" and no-one is expecting him to have "shouted it from the rooftops", he didn't believe Notts had a chance of signing Boldewijn hence his offer to canoe across the Trent but he wasn't quiet about that, was he? A sports reporter's job is just that - to report the sports news - not to keep it to himself. He is not first with the news, just an also-ran, rambling along with what he assumes is news of interest to Notts fans, possibly most of which he gets from Notts Mad.

Other teams (I presume you mean clubs) in higher positions than us certainly were alerted and they tried to sign him too, so that won't wash.

What is the point of Leigh "Integrity" Curtis when the Notts chairman puts out the latest news on his own twitter account far quicker than the NEP's reporter? Faster than a speeding bullet does the latest AH twitter news appear on Notts Mad so no twitter account needed, and no NEP needed either.
    He didn't think it was possible because of the fee involved. At that point we'd signed Hemmings and Dennis for a combined £250,000. Hardy stated that the £500,000 for Grant was out of our price range. Reports of us paying £300,000 for EB seem about right so at first glance, why would you think it's possible? Hardy seems to have dug deep this year.

Curtis obviously has a good relationship with Hardy, why would he ruin that for one "scoop"? He gets a lot of flack but you can see that he is trying to force more Notts coverage is Curtis. Also, we were talking to Crawley, why is that news, the news to be reported on as a reporter is when he signs, if you want gossip, I suggest you read Woman's Own!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast